RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #85

Wishing Sugar Belle a speeding recovery.

Really enjoying the reports

Jerry TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #86

Thank you! I'm sure she will be fine soon. Funny thing is our daughter-in-law that we saw in Denver is a veterinarian, but Sugar didn't get sick until they day we left Denver. We talked to her on this phone this evening and she concurred with what the vet here proscribed.

bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #87

Fun updates, keeping it real.
drawyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #88

Good luck! Fantastic trip! We did it last year, the Alaskan highway was tough. Tie everything down and take your time!
B646488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by B646488 View Post
Good luck! Fantastic trip! We did it last year, the Alaskan highway was tough. Tie everything down and take your time!

We will. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #90

Day 14, 7/8/17: Great day. Strong headwinds in northern MT and southern Alberta. Beautiful, but very hot weather. We left the KOA in Great Falls around 9:30 AM this morning. BTW, in spite of all the negative reviews about this KOA, we liked it and so did a few other campers we talked to. The only thing I would complain about would be the $70 per night rate. We got to the Canadian border at Sweet Grass, MT around 1:30 PM. There was no line. We drove right up to the window and the BP agent asked for our passports. I told him I had a firearm onboard and he asked if I had a handgun. No. Asked me if we were leaving anything in Canada. No. Told me to park and come inside without the firearm, bit to bring the Fiream Declaration Form. I did and this very nice young agent looked at the form and asked me how I was transporting it. Cable lock through the receiver, in a case, buried under some stuff under the dinette seat in the trailer. Good to go. He had me sign the form, then he went away for a few minutes with the form and my passport to, I'm sure, run me through the computer. He came back a few minutes later and said you're good, go pay the cashier $25 CDN. I did and we left. I think the whole process took maybe 10-15 minutes. No questions about anything else, no search of anything. Told them we had a dog; didn't even ask for health certificate or rabies vaccination. Easy peasy!! When we rolled up to the first window we rolled down both the front and rear windows on the agent side and we took off our sunglasses, so he could clearly see us and inside our F150. The agents were all very polite, friendly and nice.
We are camped for the night around 4:30 PM at a very nice city park called Centennial Park Campground in a nice little town, Clareshorn, AB. Cost us $28 CDN for electric and water. They also have full hookup sites. After setting up the TT we did some shopping at the local IGA grocery store and a liquor store (I was out of Captain Morgan. LOL). So far, if I didn't know I was in Canada I would think I was still in the USA. Last light tonight here is 10:30ish PM and first light in the morning is around 4:51 AM. Low temperature here tonight is predicted to be 56 F. It was 90 F when we got here. It is 8:30 PM as I type this and it is very pleasant sitting in the shade. The road between Great Falls and here has a lot of long ups and downs. There was even one long 7% downhill grade just south of the border. In Canada our Garmin RV760 GPS keeps warning me about sharp curves, but they are nothing more than very gentle, long curves. LOL. We are looking forward to getting West of Calgary and the Icefield Parkway tomorrow. Does anybody know what all the white things are that kind of look like either frozen ponds or salt flats? Before we left the KOA this morning we talked with a young couple from Cochran, AB and they gave us some good information about the area. A very good day today and our dog is much improved, but still on some meds. We are just "Living the Dream!"
Old 07-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #91

2017 Florida to Alaska Trip

Attachment 1
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C2FF74D-4C4C-4620-915B-9E3E2637D6B1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	168100
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C2FF74D-4C4C-4620-915B-9E3E2637D6B1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	168099  
Old 07-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #92

This is interesting to follow we are planning this trip in the next couple years have fun
jtmustang66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #93

Country Coach Owners Club
Welcome to our Alberta heatwave lol. The nice thing about here is that it does cool down at nights, being so close to the Rocky Mountains.

We have been dry and hot for the last month or so, and the "salt flats" you may have observed are dried up sloughs - small stagnant water holes, or what we call "dugouts" - man-made watering holes for cattle or human use. Ground water levels are usually pretty close to surface, and mixed with the local sedimentallogy (alkali), when it gets hot the water evaporates, leaving behind minerals that look like salt flats. Dried up alkali sloughs.

Make sure you visit the Columbia Icefields (pay the high cost to go up on the glacier on the large wheeled buses) and the Glacier Skywalk (our newest attraction). There is a parking lot campground at the Columbia Icefields Tourist Centre. Most campgrounds in the Banff and Jasper National parks (not including the ones in the town of Jasper and Banff) are first come, first served, primitive, and mostly unserviced (no power, water, or sewer sites). Campgrounds in Banff and Jasper towns are reservable, have some services, and fill up fast.

Have fun, and welcome.....

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #94

Brian, thank you very much for the explanation and recommendations! Much appreciated. I mentioned to my wife that it looked like alkali, but was not sure. And thank you for the welcome to Alberta. This is our first time to be here. You are right, by evening the temperature was very pleasant and I think it got down to below 60 F during the short night. Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Strong headwinds in northern MT and southern Alberta.
Yup the famous southern Alberta winds.

Quote:
Make sure you visit the Columbia Icefields (pay the high cost to go up on the glacier on the large wheeled buses) and the Glacier Skywalk (our newest attraction). There is a parking lot campground at the Columbia Icefields Tourist Centre
Personally I think its a tourist trap ($$$$) Columbia Glacier tours. Instead just north of Valdez AK. you have Worthington Glacier where you just park in the parking lot ( Rv parking) and walk an easy 10 minutes to the glaciers edge, go in a ice cave with waterfall or hike up the glacier. There were people actually walking inside the glacier to the waterfall. I didn't want to risk it. Free no charge. It's a 1000% better to see what the power of a glacier can do. You can see where the glacier has carved the rock wall next to the leading edge (thumb).

Remember if you want to avoid the Milepost suggested route thru Calgary on downtown streets, follow the northern alternative (Route 8 to 22) then rejoin highway 1 towards Banff.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #96

Thanks, we got through Calgary and I to one very easily, with one exception: there was a bunch of construction on the road and I missed a sign and ended up wrong and had to get back on track. Our Garmin RV760 GPS routed right back to the correct route and we "escaped" Calgary without problem. LOL. See my daily report that follows. And thank you for the adviceówe are planning on going to Valdez and the Worthington Glacier.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #97

Day 15, 7/9/17: We broke camp and got on the road around 10:00 AM this morning. This morning we had a nice little tailwind up to Calgary. Sweet ride! We headed west on Highway 1 and there was heavy traffic both directions. During lunch break at a no facilities turn out/rest area we counted RVs headed in both directions and about twice as many were headed east toward Calgary as headed west. When we pulled into this rest area and stopped a trucker behind us started waving in what my wife described as a very unfriendly manner. Seems we were blocking his access to a scale. Never saw this before, so we didn't know. We moved and I guess the unfriendly SOB was happy. Not that I blame him, but he could have been a bit nicer about it since he probably saw our Florida license plate. LOL once we arrived up in the mountains I will tell you this area is incredibly beautiful and something Canada and Alberta rightfully have great pride in. It is magnificent! I would post some pictures, but our current cellular signal is not all that great. Lots of traffic! We pulled into the line at the Lake Louise Campground and even though the sign said they were full we had to sit in line so we could turn around. When we finally got to the check in booth I said I see you are full, so we just need to turn around. I was totally astounded when the ranger said, "I think we can fit you in because we just had a cancellation." Wow!!!' Was this our lucky day or what??!? We are now camped in their campground with electric for $32.50 CDN in campsite 46, with an incredibly beautiful mountain with a huge glacier just in front of our trailer. So peaceful and quiet! We could only get the site for one night, so can anyone tell me if we are able to drive up to Lake Louise with or 30' of TT in tow? Is there anyplace to park it there?

Tomorrow we head up the Icefield Parkway. Oh, and the ranger gave us a warning about several grizzlies that have been passing through the campground. Would love to see one! As long as it's not trying to rip into our trailer. LOL. My wife is a bit paranoid. LOL Great day. We covered 320 Kilometers (199 miles).
Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #98

I decided to break out the grill and cook some cheeseburgers. Let's temp the bears! NOT! LOL

Tags
florida