Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #15

The good thing is is that it gets easier. Make check lists and don't make the same mistake twice!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
florida fred:

enjoyed reading your adventures. but to me even days like yours are still better than traveling any other way! by the way what was the name of that campground so i can be sure to stay away from it __________________________________________
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #17

What likely tripped the refrigerator breaker was that you forgot to turn off the power pedestal breaker before plugging in the coach. Which should always be in your setup checklist.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Just repeat to yourself: "a bad day rv-ing is better than a good day at work."

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few comments:

1: Brake buddy/battery.. I never have that problem with the US-Gear system (Motor home charges towed battery)

Two Water hose.. The seal on a water hose is between the washer and the flange on the female fitting and the end of the male fitting

No amount of teflon tape on the threads will ever seal it

Still.. I see this kind of thing often.. But taping up the threads is fooling yourself

If you tighten it, and it's still leaking, and a new washer does not help

First inspect.. I've seen it be the female fitting, but more likely the male end has been damaged and replacign the end is all that's needed.

Replacement ends (both of them) any hardware store.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #20

Thanks to you all for the encouragement --I guess I'm not the only one that makes mistakes.-- As to some of the questions and comments --- Yes, the campground electric was "on " when I plugged in - I didn't check and I guess the last visitor didn't shut it down -- So that's my stupid mistake -- Your correct on the hose leak wa8yxm , the male end is damaged ( although it doesn't look it ) I replaced it and now all's well -- Thanks again folks
Old 02-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #21

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA FRED View Post
Well I'm back from the trip from Hell -- All in one piece and ready to try again --
Ya know, this could lead to a new thread. Worst camping trip???? I think we have all had them. I remember a trip to Florida we took, and from Illinois to Florida, the entire trip, did nothing but rain.

Another trip thru Tennessee, the weather alert went off about dense fog, so we pulled into a rest area, and it 20, fog so thick that you could hardly see the truck next to us.

Humm, one time I forgot to make sure the connection on the sewer hookup was tight, and pulled the gray water handle, only to find out the connection wasn't tight.

We have all had the "bad trips." Live and learn, and keep on trucking....
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #22

Naw, Fred_ a stupid mistake is one you make the third time...... Been there/done that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #23

Fred! Thanks for making us feel "normal". We just bought our MH and my husband has a fit everytime any little thing goes wrong! He has called our salesman a few names no one wants to hear! He thinks the guy planned all these glitches for us! Fortunatly I'm the problem solver. He is just the driver and the TV tech! We almost drove 145 miles home one night because he couldn't get the tv to come in! Thanks again for the laugh and letting us know we are not alone in RV Land!
mobilemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #24

I'm "Normal" Too !!

I love this site ! -- I guess it's true misery does love company. I have called my salesman 3 x now from various campgrounds knowing full well every problem encountered is noting more than a diabolical plot on his part to get me to return to his clutches at $90/hr. shop time !! -- Anyway -- Thanks again for the comments and I'll let you know how our next adventure turns out -- We're scheduled for a 3 day stay in the Orlando area the end of the month ( Feb ) -- I would love to hear about your trips as well
Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Every trip is an Adventure. Some good some bad, But all remeberable. Thanks for the humor in your post. Not laughing at you but at myself for similiar times.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FLORIDA FRED,

Look at the plus side of all this----

You could have done all this in the pouring rain, on a dark night, as I did years ago trying to set up my new tripod satellite dish from 9 pm to 1 am, in the rain, with a "NO JOY" (military term for "no contact")!

Next day I saw a large tree in my way-
Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
grumpytrkr

love your idea bout the worst trips ever! i remember a trip in the early 90s to pigeon forge koa when there were a series of tornadoes that tore through the state of tennesse killing many and there we were stuck at that campground with other campers in a ditch laying on blue tarps as the storm went by! with two small kids plus all the others in the campground it sure was a tense few moments but thank God everything turned out ok, one trip i will never forget!
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #28

Started out to go south for the winter Dec. 29 - snowing and the slides are out but we have slide toppers. Toppers were so stiff they sucked into the coach as the slides came in. Took off - neighbor was behind us - stopped us and told me the turn signals did not work. Took I70 to St. George, UT - tire on 5er getting low - snow and ice all the way in Colo and Ut,a real pucker factor for driving. Tire on truck (dually) getting low. At St George - warm enough for the slide toppers to thaw and work. Filled both tires. Dewinterized. Filled with fresh water. Discovered wet carpet at two slides - not a good thing. Got to AVI, Laughlin Nev. both batteries in truck went bad. Thank goodness for Good Sam ERS - they got me started and I purchased two new batteries. Old batteries were 3 years old. Truck is an '07 Chev Duramax so have to have two. Fixed the lights - found that I have two fuses in line for the trailer in the truck and only one each was blown so I did not have brake lights either but I did have them when we departed also, one light bulb had corrision on it. Got to Imperial Valley, AZ. Removed tire on 5er - had a nail in it. Still don't know why the truck tire has a slow leak - will get it fixed at home in April. At Imperial Valley - it started to rain and blow. Blew so hard it started to push the big slide in so I put two pieces of wood at the top of the slide to keep it out. Slides leaking again. Yuma had over 4" of rain in two and a half days - as much as they normally get in a year. Wind gust at 68mph. We boondocked at Imperial Dam for the month of January.

We are at Big River, CA (across from Parker AZ) with full hook-ups now. Life is good.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eft