Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

34 foot 5th wheel too long to stay in Denali National Park?

Considering RVing to Alaska in 2019. Would love to stay inside Denali. Preferably at teklinika. Riley would be our second choice.

I understand the length limit is 40 ft. And that others have been told that the length limit is for the combination of tow vehicle plus trailer.

We are 50 ft total (true length of 5th wheel is 34 ft.).

So my question is if there might be a way to stay inside the Denali National Park? Perhaps if we put the pickup truck in an overflow area? Or luck into a wide site where we could park the truck beside the 5th wheel?

Ideas?
PJinHawaii
PJinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
40' and shorter, no mention of whether that's just the trailer or total. My 45' motorhome even without the CR-V would be too long. No hookups.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #3

We've stayed in both - Teklanika and Riley Creek - with our 40' motorhome. At Riley Creek we had tons of room for the MH and Jeep. For Teklanika we got to the gate at opening time in the morning and easily secured a spot for our motorhome. We weren't allowed to take the Jeep and left it in a designated parking space at Riley Creek. With your 5th wheel & truck you would fit but once there you won't be able to drive the truck until you leave.

I highly recommend staying at Teklanika. Get the TEK bus pass and you can ride as often as you want for as far as you want. We spent 5 nights there and sometimes we'd go out for a few hours morning and late afternoon. One day we went to the end of the road at Wonder Lake. Another day to Eileson Visitor Center. We also got off the bus and just walked the road in the immense space and quiet solitude - an awesome experience. We just hailed the next bus coming by.

We spent another 5 nights at Riley Creek - plenty to do in that area.

Of 10 nights we saw 'THE' mountain 7 clear days. We saw every one of the big animals... many more than once.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
twogypsies has it right. In 2017, we stayed three nights at TEK and enjoyed it. Once you're parked---you're there for at least three nights, with only buses to take you around.
The river bed was sort of ugly, but had the largest bear & wolf tracks ever. The stupid thing we did was to wander about in the woods and left the bear spray safely at the rig. You know, we wanted to conserve it??
The buses to the end of the road were great. The bug weren't to bad either.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing zipp View Post
twogypsies has it right. In 2017, we stayed three nights at TEK and enjoyed it. Once you're parked---you're there for at least three nights, with only buses to take you around.
The river bed was sort of ugly, but had the largest bear & wolf tracks ever. The stupid thing we did was to wander about in the woods and left the bear spray safely at the rig. You know, we wanted to conserve it??
The buses to the end of the road were great. The bug weren't to bad either.

I completely understand the appeal of staying in Teklanika. That’s why we really want to stay there. We were supposed to stay there about 10 years ago in a rental class C but our early season reservation got moved by the park service to the main campground near the visitor center due to an ice jam that caused the river to flood and refreeze coating TEK in a few feet of solid ice.

Would sure love to stay there this next trip!!! But drat! The length limit might prevent it.

Intuitively I feel that I can get my 34 ft 5th wheel (and truck)? in many sites that a 40 ft motor home can go. Just not sure I should go out on a limb and plan to try to stretch the official rules though.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I don't believe people are really helping to answer the original question.

I believe the limit is 40 feet including truck and tow.
When we were at the checkpoint the Park Ranger was clear that 40 feet was the limit and asked how long we were. Our rig is 40 feet.

If you can get there, it is certainly worth the effort.
However -- I would think this sounds like something you need a more concrete answer than "opinions". You really need to contact the Park Service in some manner and get a firm answer, preferably in writing like email.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #7

Below is what is stated in writing in the NPS site about length at TEK. (copied and pasted)
My previous reply seems to not be correct.

You will not be allowed to use the vehicle when at TEK.
it is my understanding once there -- you are there for your stay.

====
RV & Trailer Information - Recreational Vehicle (RV), Car/Truck/Trailer Information – The maximum length of an individual RV or camper-trailer is 40'. The combined length of a vehicle and trailer combination may exceed 40', but each individual vehicle component (e.g., the truck or trailer) may not exceed 40' on its own. A trailer in tow must be integral to the camping experience. An example of a permitted combination would be a truck pulling a camper-trailer. Conversely, a car being towed behind an RV would not considered integral, and therefore the car must be left at the park entrance (parking is free of charge). Ask at the Denali Visitor Center where overnight parking is permitted.
=====

thx Dale
Old 12-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #8

^^^^^ There you go! You're IN!!!
Old 12-28-2018, 06:35 AM   #9

One other thought on TEK.

Sites are not individually assigned. They are first come/first serve. That means if say you get there on a wednesday and only five or six of the campers are leaving that day you only have 5-6 choices. If you get there later in the day perhaps four are already filled. That leave you only two choices and having been there all sites are not equal. Some are very short, other are hard to get in and out of. You may end up with a very short site. My advice --- get there pretty early. Camp outside the park somewhere near the night before. Do not travel all day, get there late, and expect a choice of site.

Since you cannot get back out to go to the visitor center, do that on the way in and get your maps and brochures. If you go to the backpacking center, and ask about day hikes, if you are interested in that, they will not only suggest some hikes in open more bear friendly areas, but also take one of their maps and photocopy a section for free and give that to you to help you.
At least they did for me. Sometimes areas are also closed to hiking, and they will be aware of the latest information.

If you have kids, or not, go to the sled dog display. You may get up close and personal with some fantastic dogs.

have a great time there -- we did == Dale
Old 12-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
Below is what is stated in writing in the NPS site about length at TEK. (copied and pasted)

My previous reply seems to not be correct.

You will not be allowed to use the vehicle when at TEK.

it is my understanding once there -- you are there for your stay.

====

RV & Trailer Information - Recreational Vehicle (RV), Car/Truck/Trailer Information – The maximum length of an individual RV or camper-trailer is 40'. The combined length of a vehicle and trailer combination may exceed 40', but each individual vehicle component (e.g., the truck or trailer) may not exceed 40' on its own. A trailer in tow must be integral to the camping experience. An example of a permitted combination would be a truck pulling a camper-trailer. Conversely, a car being towed behind an RV would not considered integral, and therefore the car must be left at the park entrance (parking is free of charge). Ask at the Denali Visitor Center where overnight parking is permitted.

=====

thx Dale

Thank you very much Dale! Nice bit of data mining there to find that quote. That is exactly what I needed to know.

I think what we will do is try to arrive on a day of the week where departures are high (Sunday /Monday / Tuesday) and be one of the first in line to maximize our chances of having a shot at a nice long site.

If anyone knows which sites are nice and long I’d be interested. I like the idea of having a site on the rivers edge.

I’m excited!
PJ in Hawaii
Old 12-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #11

Sorry, I didn't take notice of site numbers because they're not assigned. I, also, didn't notice if there's an overflow area for the pickup. You'd have to call.

The river is what they call a 'braided' river with ribbons of water mixed with sand bars. When we were there it wasn't a flowing river; perhaps it was just low for the time of year. Probably early spring with snowmelt it would be full. The campground isn't that large and most sites you could see the river. It's a short easy walk to it.

Tags
5th wheel, alaska, alaska trip, national