Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #1

395 Death Valley and Inyo National Forest

We are driving to Ca from NJ this July. We are thinking of driving to Desert Palm and headed up north via 395 between the 2 mountains stated in the headlines above... anyone have any experience driving this route? any recommendation on campgrounds or place to see, do or even boondock... thanks on any info.

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you decide to stay in the Mammoth Lakes area, stay at the Crowley Lake BLM campground. $5/night (for now, BLM wants to raise it to as much as $8, but still a good deal). Nice views, 20 minutes to Mammoth Lakes, 30 to Bishop, and a shuttle down to Devil's Postpile NM and Red's Meadow. Decent fishing, beautiful area. There is some boondocking available, but make sure you check with the Mammoth Lakes area visitors center for a Motor Vehicle Use Map. And don't go to Bald Spring Mountain dispersed camping area if you have anything larger than a small RV.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:20 PM   #3

395 is a pretty good road, we did the stretch southbound through Reno last fall. If you are planning to visit Death Valley NP, I would not do it with the RV from 395. That is one scarey road with MH and toad. We disconnected the toad half way down the hill into Pagosa Springs because it was so steep and windy. There are plenty of parks along 395 where you can leave the RV and day- tour with the toad.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plan on temperatures around 110 degrees. Make sure your engine cooling system is working good.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #5

Hwy 395 is a gorgeous highway with many campgrounds and RV parks. As stated the Death Valley area will be extremely hot in July. Park your RV at Boulder Creek RV in Lone Pine (lots of trees in a harsh climate) http://www.bouldercreekrvresort.com/ and take your Jeep into Death Valley for a day trip. Go to the Furnace Springs area for some cooler palm trees and a pool to look at. Drive the Artist Point road and Scotty's Castle is well worth the tour - if it's open. It was closed because of flood damage. Yes, Death Valley gets floods. Don't drive your Jeep off-road without notifying someone where you're going. There won't be many Jeepers at that time of year to give you help. Carry LOTS of water.

Lone Pine, itself, is an interesting little town and many films were made there. Further up 395 it will start to get cooler. The campgrounds around June Lake are nice.

Have a good trip.

Here is Death Valley's web site with lots of good information:

https://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Wow, thanks for the info guys/gals.... Im totally psyched now!
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
FYI, All of the low desert areas (on I-40, I-15, I-10) will be very hot in July, almost as hot as Death Valley. So make sure your equipment is up to the task. You will need to run your generator and house AC to keep cool.

US395 is a good road and is steep in a few areas. I suggest you do not attempt Death Valley in the summer, some people that are not used to high heat can't handle it. I have done it without any issues but I live in the second hottest place in the U.S. so, to me, it was no different than home.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

I would not even consider Death Valley that time of year. Golf balls have exploded in the trunk of cars there in the summer! If by Desert Palm, you mean Palm Desert, it will be scorching there also. 395 is great. But very popular. (Used to fish it.) Especially over the weekends. Definitely start checking out the various RV review websites. There is an awful lot available (primitive to full hook-up) but the vast majority, especially the state campgrounds, were made decades (centuries?) ago when a big rig was a 4 person tent. Might want to consider making a few reservations. Now. Use the jeep after you've parked Melody. There are so many places to visit you'll want to do your research ahead of time. I personally love taking the dinghy up Tioga Pass. So many dead end roads going west off 395 to mountain lakes. Sabrina (if the dam construction is done), Convict, the June Lake loop, It just goes on & on. The bristlecone pines in the White Mountains of Nevada, arguably the oldest living things on Earth, are a soft road jeep excursion. If you are a hiker, there are a brizillion trails at all skill levels. I'd strongly suggest you forgo Death Valley this time of year & focus on 395. Especially from Mammoth north, you'll find it much cooler.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #9

A day trip to Death Valley from Lone Pine in an air-conditioned vehicle would easily be doable. It's not like you're going to be out hiking....are you? If you won't get many chances to visit this amazing place, I'd highly recommend even a few hours there.

Rangers and guests will be there. You won't be alone. It's amazing how many people do this just to 'experience' heat - a lot of foreigners. The national park has a very nice Inn and restaurant.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you enjoy movies and especially seeing where many have been made, make sure to stop in at the Alabama Foothills, where movies have been made since the silent movie era. Camping is allowed there, no services or hookups available in the Hills.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It can and probably will be 100+ in any of the deserts in the summer and there is no shade but what you make. Find someplace at 5000 feet elevation to even have a chance. Big Bear, Mammoth, June Lake Loop, and anywhere close to the coast. Good luck with the coast.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national