Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #1

55+ what does that mean?

We're currently in Florida. Of course there are a lot of 55+ parks down here. I know in 55+ S&B communities it usually means one person has to be 55 or older. Is it the same in rv communities? DH is 59, I'm 50 and DD is with us. She's 19. Would this work for us?
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
We're currently in Florida. Of course there are a lot of 55+ parks down here. I know in 55+ S&B communities it usually means one person has to be 55 or older. Is it the same in rv communities? DH is 59, I'm 50 and DD is with us. She's 19. Would this work for us?
You are going to get a huge number of replies, all of which will be opinion. Call the park you intend to visit to get the actual answer. It should not surprise anyone to find out that individual parks might vary in THEIR own interpretation of what 55+ means.

Good luck
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Exactly. There is no uniform answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
You are going to get a huge number of replies, all of which will be opinion. Call the park you intend to visit to get the actual answer. It should not surprise anyone to find out that individual parks might vary in THEIR own interpretation of what 55+ means.

Good luck

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If this is an ownership park, the 55+ designation is defined in the OP. It is the law. If one wants to rent, that is a different story. Like previously posted, different parks have different rules for guests who rent. The guest renting rules are defined by the HOA (for ownership parks) or the owner of the park.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

boy am i glad I read this post, here all this time i thought it meant that I could do over 55 mph in my power chair
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
boy am i glad I read this post, here all this time i thought it meant that I could do over 55 mph in my power chair
gbstewart
If you could, you would just to prove you could.

Yep, I can see it now, so GA State Trooper radioing to HQ, "Captain, ya aint' gonna believe this."
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
55 Plus means don't bring your PIA kids here. We want peace and enjoyment.
Just like a Restaurant. Some people think it's cute to have their children raise hell. Even some Restaurants are giving discounts to people with well mannered children !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been turned down twice in 55+ campgrounds because of my 28 y/o special needs step-son and rather than raise a big stink,we left. He is very well behaved and is very shy,but to see him,you wouldn't know he has any problems.By the way,I'm 70+ and the DW is 60+.
We have stayed at a couple of more tho,where there was no problem.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
We have been turned down twice in 55+ campgrounds because of my 28 y/o special needs step-son and rather than raise a big stink,we left. He is very well behaved and is very shy,but to see him,you wouldn't know he has any problems.By the way,I'm 70+ and the DW is 60+.
This is an example of why rules need flexibility. Any of us "old farts" that get upset merely just seeing a youngster ought to remember that we were once one of them. Now, I am not advocating that 55+ communities take in every youngster but there has to be some room to work with special situations. Do 55+ communities forbid grand children staying for a reasonable period of time? I realize that each community has rules and they certainly must differ to some extent. I'm just thinking that any 55+ community that doesn't recognize that there are some special needs/cases that deserve consideration is not friendly enough for me.

I also realize that there are pitfalls on how policies regarding flexibility can cause problems around fairness. I just hate to see common sense go out the window.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #10

I wonder if you can have a camp ground that says 55 and under?
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog
Wow... Two otherwise qualifying adults turned away because you're responsible for a special needs adult! That's a new low for pond scum.

I fully support private campgrounds to create and enforce any rules they want, but if it were my campground, I'd have to be a real "donkey's rear end" to turn someone away because if a special needs son.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
It would sure be nice if you would post the names of the Campgrounds that turned you down !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
55 Plus means don't bring your PIA kids here. We want peace and enjoyment.
Just like a Restaurant. Some people think it's cute to have their children raise hell. Even some Restaurants are giving discounts to people with well mannered children !
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Their CG their rules I guess. I would hope that a 55 plus camper doesnt get turned away because of a special needs member of the family. With an aging population I think you'll see more 55 plus parks.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote