Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
2 people for $22,000!! We traveled from Arizona and back on less than 1/2 of that price and that included fuel, all food, campground fees, entrance fees. Everything on the itinerary is very easily done on your own. It really is a simple trip to do.

I noted that you only have one day for the Denali bus ride. If it's pouring rain and that happens, the animals won't be out and the mountain won't be out. The same goes for any other activity. It's on the schedule so you'll be out there doing it. Going on your own you can work around the weather, stay longer if you really enjoy an area or leave fast if it's not for you. It is so nice to be able to be flexible for this long, probably once in a lifetime trip. Just something to think about.
$22k?...you obviously misread the attachment...try again....

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #16

So sorry for the error but the rest of my comments still stand.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the feedback and a big thanks to BigBen and Clifftall for the pictures!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
tankcj - find a way to go that you are comfortable with and GO. It is amazing.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #19

Camping on the Taylor / Top of the World highway

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...y_brochure.pdf

Make it a 2 day trek, we like West Fork mile 49 Taylor (Ak side). Stay in the BLM campgrounds, stop in Chicken take a look around but stay in the BLM campgrounds.
We crossed over from Ak, first 45 miles of patched pavement, then gravel all the way to Boundry, a few miles of pavement to the border. From the border to Dawson all gravel.
Stay in the territorial campgrounds in Canada price is great, quiet, very nice some maybe tight if you're 33ft or more. We stayed out near the airport but you could stay across the river and use foot traffic across the ferry to Dawson.
All the campgrounds in Dawson are just parking lots.

I suggest driving the toad separately, less chance of damage and no faster than 45mph, The dust is very bad and they use calcium cloride to keep the dust down which is hard to wash off.

No tour busses any more they fly the tourist into Dawson, then on to Fairbanks.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have followed a few Youtube posters who went to Alaska this past summer. 2 of the 3 got windshield rock chips from semi-trucks coming the other way, kicking up stones. I'm thinking about adding small mud flaps to my RV trailer. There is a clear film I going to be adding to my trucks headlight lens and the first 6" of my hood. The most you could do is slow down some when being passed.

Have flown to AK. many times (Fairbanks) to visit family. Locals tend to drive fast even on gravel....There might be short sections of road being being repaired, where gravel has temporarily laid down. Common sense tells you to slow down to 30 -35 mph. A local might blow by you at 50 or 60....kicking up stones as a thank you.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #21

Try this web site you can buy exactly what you are looking for, custom cut to fit your vehicle. You can also buy in bulk 18 or 24 inch wide any length that you want. It is easy to install yourself. We used it on our Nest Egg tear drop (fiberglass), to protect the front from rock damage while crossing the Top of The World Highway. It is still on the trailer, wash it clean, it is almost completely invisible.

Invisible Mask - Clear Bra Automotive Paint Protection, 3M Scotchgard, Carbon Fiber 3M Films

I would recommend anyone traveling the ALCAN add it to to the front of your RV, even just a bulk sheet will shave the paint job.

3M makes a spray on invisible shield, I don't think it would add much rock protection but would help with the bug strikes. It isn't expensive, you can wash it and when you are back down South peal it off with any bug residue.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #22

We went in 2013, we had a chevy dually and 40' 5er at the time. We did not have any broken/cracked glass, no tire problems, did have a few rock dings on the truck.
We stayed at Chicken Gold Camp one night, went gold-panning_found some rocks. Top-of-the-world "highway" is now paved on the AK. side I understand. If you drive slow so you can see the sights, you'll have a better experience, and reduce the chance of vehicle damage.
When you see an oncoming RV or large truck, pull over close to the berm (DO NOT DRIVE ONTO THE BERM!) stop, and wait until they navigate past you. That is the advice from Willard, the owner of the wrecker service that pulls vehicles back up onto the road if they get a steer tire onto the very soft berm. He demonstrated just how soft, he stepped on the berm and sank nearly up to his knees.
You recognize the berm by its slightly different color.
We had time to talk with him while he was repairing one axle on our 5er that had been damaged by hitting an unseen frost heave, while driving too fast.

I invite you to read the S.M.A.R.T. military travel club website
The pricing for the Alaska caravan is posted there. It is less money than any for-profit Caravan business. If you are not a military veteran, there is a chance a veteran on the caravan list will sponsor you so you may join them.
When we went in 13, we left MT 13 June and entered Sumas WA in late Aug. The planned caravans and pricing are listed on a webpage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ray,IN....How much does it cost to join S.M.A.R.T. ?

I went to the website but was unable to determine the cost without filling out the application.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #24

Top of the world hwy

Traveled Taylor/Top of the World Hwys in June 2015:

Taylor, Patched pavement coming from Tok to mile 45.
Gravel thru Chicken to Boundry then paved to the border
teaser, then gravel to Dawson.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Question,
With some here having done Caravans in the past, have you seen the campgrounds (private ones) along the Alcan being completely filled up with caravan groups?

We plan to mix it up by alternating between boon-docking, Provencal campgrounds in Canada State parks in Alaska and private campgrounds with services and boon-docking at sis-n-laws driveway in North Pole AK. Plan to leave OH. the 1st of June and take 3 weeks to make it to Fairbanks AK.

**Here is a excellent reference website with a overload of pictures of Alaska, Yukon, and BC.
Sue Thomas Yukon Sites

Gives you a good idea of what kind of roads to expect during your travels.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
So it appears that most of the damage to the front of the coach is done by vehicles passing in the opposite direction rather than rocks from vehicles in front of you. That will be tough to eliminate but slowing down and/or pulling over as they approach is the best option.

My jeep is on a car hauler so it sits up pretty high but if I can get some sort of netting (similar to Roadmaster's tow defender) that will bridge the gap between the trailer and coach I should be good.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #27

I never used the commercial campgrounds, they all like parking lots. But I have noticed that everything starts to fill up after about 5, even the provincial campgrounds start to fill up.
Most of the rest stops say no camping, but if they generally allow you to stay 8 hours, just don't put the slides out or setup an out side camp and you should be good.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:09 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I never used the commercial campgrounds, they all like parking lots. But I have noticed that everything starts to fill up after about 5, even the provincial campgrounds start to fill up.
Most of the rest stops say no camping, but if they generally allow you to stay 8 hours, just don't put the slides out or setup an out side camp and you should be good.
Good to know....

Only have a RV trailer (no genny) Boon-dock one night here or there, use mostly Provincial parks a lot, and maybe every 3rd or 4th night a private park to charge batteries and dump the tanks, and do laundry if needed.