Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

70E from Moab, UT to Grand Junction CO

Anybody take this path before? I will be driving my Excursion with an enclosed trailer. Was wondering how the drive is thru this part and if there are any potential problems other than climbing up the West side of the Rockies. I would expect it to be a very scenic drive......is that correct? Lots of places to stop and stay along this area?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From Moab, you have to go north on US 191 to meet with I-70. I-70 is good from Crescent Junction, UT to Grand Junction, CO. East of Grand Junction, you will have Vail Pass, which is steep on both sides, watch engine temperatures and use brakes only when you need them, downshift to slow down. After Vail Pass, you again climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel, then it's a long downhill grade all the way to Golden.

You can see the elevation change on the route by using Google Earth. Select the route and look at a profile of the route. If you want an excellent reference for mountain driving, I suggest :

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/mtnshop/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #3

from moab take 128 to i-70. it follows the river so it is a little crooked but very scenic and saves a couple miles
Old 05-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Exactly the type of info I am looking for....Thank you

Old 05-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
From Moab, you have to go north on US 191 to meet with I-70. I-70 is good from Crescent Junction, UT to Grand Junction, CO. East of Grand Junction, you will have Vail Pass, which is steep on both sides, watch engine temperatures and use brakes only when you need them, downshift to slow down. After Vail Pass, you again climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel, then it's a long downhill grade all the way to Golden.

You can see the elevation change on the route by using Google Earth. Select the route and look at a profile of the route. If you want an excellent reference for mountain driving, I suggest :

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/mtnshop/
I ordered the book for the Western Region. Thank you

Old 05-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
from moab take 128 to i-70. it follows the river so it is a little crooked but very scenic and saves a couple miles
We will look into taking this route along the river....any RV spots thru there?

Old 05-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

128 North of Moab

Old 05-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
128 North of Moab

I am sold. Going to take the 128 .
Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #9

Absolutely defintiely take 128 east out of Moab. Beautiful scenic drive, here are a couple additional to see taken out the windshield. The drive is fine in a RV, single lane, but nothing too tight.

Once you intersect I-70 after about 1 hour (I think, memory fading.....) it is easy drive to Grand Junction, if kind of boring vs what you just left behind. Even east of GJ is easy, until Glenwood Springs when you start climbing up. You can still do it, just watch temps and gear down when needed. Of course take it easy on downhills, but remember this is a major east-west interstate with lots of trucks, so it is not any extreme grade percents.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Absolutely defintiely take 128 east out of Moab. Beautiful scenic drive, here are a couple additional to see taken out the windshield. The drive is fine in a RV, single lane, but nothing too tight.

Once you intersect I-70 after about 1 hour (I think, memory fading.....) it is easy drive to Grand Junction, if kind of boring vs what you just left behind. Even east of GJ is easy, until Glenwood Springs when you start climbing up. You can still do it, just watch temps and gear down when needed. Of course take it easy on downhills, but remember this is a major east-west interstate with lots of trucks, so it is not any extreme grade percents.
Thank you......I will be taking it nice and easy as we have time

Old 05-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Vail Pass is 7%, Run up to Eisenhower Tunnel is 6%. U.S. Interstate standards tries to hold to no more than 6%. Both of these require attention to engine temperature and gearing down when appropriate. Going down both passes require lower gear and minimum use of brakes. Pull over and take photos to let things cool down when needed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #12

I would not call 6 or 7% grade to be bad. Enough to take caution, sure. But it is the length downhill that can be more problem than the grade. Especially if you have an engine brake that many diesel powered have, saves a lot of having to pulse the brakes on downhill. I have been over I-70 and some of the smaller highways with similar or even higher grades in the CO mountains with my old Super-C, pulling a trailer and not had any problems. Just use good driving technique. My new truck conversion MH has a great engine brake, can really feel it work.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I-70 through the Rocky's is, just as you've suggested, beautiful. We did it in the opposite direction just last summer in our coach with toad, no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I 70 through Colorado (14).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	95877   Click image for larger version

Name:	I 70 through Colorado (6).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	95878  

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #14

Thanks for the input and advice everybody!