Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
A new opportunity

So an opportunity has arisen for us this weekend. Central Louisiana, the possibility to run and operate a location that would be basically a bed and breakfast/wedding venue.

It already has two RV spots with the possibility of expanding to 5 or even more.

When you're traveling, what draws you to a place to park your RV for a few days? What makes you want to stay there and give your hard earned money?

How do you find your locations? Do you enjoy it more when you're remotely located? How far off the beaten path are you willing to drive to get to the place you want to stay? Are you weekenders or would you want to stay longer?

Just wondering how insane we are for thinking about doing this...

castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I will give this a go even though there are many many variables in this.
We find places first by looking in the big rigs book. That's a start, then like 2 other books depending we found something in big rigs.
Then we go to Google and type in rv parks.
If we are going to an area to explore, or a "destination " if you will, we would go where we need to for that. If we are just looking to overnight off the interstate, we will go a couple miles if needed.
We want to know: level sites, 50 amp power.
Water, cable, showers, laundry much more important if staying extended time frames.

Hope that helps

Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

if traveling and need a night or two, then Passport America app

if deciding to stay a while, then GoodSam app, and Google Maps overview search 'rv park' or 'campground' - it's amazing how many rv 'parks' and 'campgrounds' will show up on a google search that will never show up on any apps. Many city rv parks don't show up, but have information attached within the city's webpages, which may take a little more search to find.

We like quite parks with a lot of room between sites since we keep more to ourselves, and those parks that allow us to choose our own site, and make very easy and quick when checking in. We've found that the checkin process reveals alot about a park. If it's quick and easy and not a lot of personal questions, then we will keep it on our preferred list, otherwise we probably won't be back.

I think sometimes it's the difference in deciding whether you are desiring to be a 'stop over' park with pull thrus for overnighters(near main roads or interstates), or wanting to be a 'destination' park(willing to drive distances and/or not be near metro areas).

Our view is that while we are not 'campers' and are not looking for 'camping' atmosphere, we are 'living' and looking for household amenities like laundry. Pools, clubhouses, playgrounds, and fire pits are not necessarily in our desire list.

-Quite
-Room
-Pick your own site
-Easy checkin
Old 03-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Looks like a cute B&B. Where would the RV parking be? For one thing, that little path of a road is not for RVs. In Louisiana, a paved site would be welcomed with easy access. Big rigs do not do well in grass/mud. It would take some money and work to make it suitable for both the B&B and RVing. Can the community support this type of venue? If it's close to a big city - perhaps, but if it's out in the boonies how would you draw folks to it? If it's a wedding/B&B who will do the cooking/catering? Just lots to think about before jumping in. Good luck!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
"Just wondering how insane we are for thinking about doing this...".
Insane? Maybe 50 %
If you have made up your mind, then do it. I would not - I see nothing on that road/trail that would make me want to take our 40 ft coach along that road. Mud when it rains, limbs to scape the sides and top. Naw, not for us at all
Old 03-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

FWIW My first question would be why I wanted to be there. If it's convenient to some interesting places to visit or just off a super slab you might have an answer. Otherwise?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW My first question would be why I wanted to be there. If it's convenient to some interesting places to visit or just off a super slab you might have an answer. Otherwise?

Questions: Have you been there in the summertime? How's the humidity?

Is there anything nearby that would make this a "destination" B&B?

Maybe bird watching? Wait, no, those "birds" are large MOSQUITOES!

LOTS of more research needed before pulling the trigger on this!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Castrol,
In order of importance:
1. the area, what is there to do
2. the resort (pools, clubhouse, store, exercise equip)
3. the access (roads, trees, turns, etc.)
4. if it is an ownership resort other owners
5. the site
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Castrol,
Just saw your picture. I would not stay at this place. It does not meet my needs. I'm at a time in life where the important things are:
1. paved access roads
2. paved pad and entertainment area
3. things to do nearby
4. other coach owners to entertain with
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

It is hot & humid here in the summer. Mosquitos will carry you away with all of the open fields & woods shown in your picture. How far are you from the nearest town/big city? Is this in the Alexandria area?
I don't know too many folks who would travel down the road in the photo in their MH.

But, if that is what you want to do, go for it & good luck.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We're looking at using it as more of a wedding venue as opposed to an RV park, but since there are already a few spots created (my folks and I both have 40'ers) it wouldn't be too difficult to add a few more spots.

Thank you guys for the constructive criticism. It's very valuable.

castrol is offline   Reply With Quote