Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Acadia NP rent car or not?

Hi all, we are going to be in Acadia NP on the 24-28 staying at Blackwoods campground. We brought bicycles but no car. I understand they run a shuttle to a lot of the attractions. We are debating about renting a car to use while we are there. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thank you

2011 Serrano 31X
Wonderful Life

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You can take the Island Explorer all over the place and load your bikes on it as well. You can even go into Bar Harbor on the bus. Look up the routes online.

BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

If you want to see the "other" Acadia that most people miss, rent a car and go to Schoodic Point. No gift shops, restaurants or tourists but raw Maine beauty
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Car rental

We just came back and we rented a car. It worked well for us as we were in Trenton by the air field. We got to Cadillac Mt for sunrise (by 5:00am) and were able to stop in some off the track stores and restaurants. The airport only has only five rental units and we went to the local Subaru dealership. Nice people and they gave us a ride back to the campground.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #5

Maybe try Ellsworth for car rental
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #6

Thanks for all the information. I looked up the explorer routes and just happened on to two ladies that camp and bike there every year. They recommended the explorer as well. So that's our plan! Everyone enjoy the rest of summer🌞

2011 Serrano 31X
Wonderful Life
Old 08-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We did 2 nights at both campgrounds in Acadia last July. No toad or rental car just 2 bicycles. The Island Explorer takes you from your campground to downtown Bar Harbor where you can hop on other shuttles or pick up a commercial tour. They do make the last run of the night fairly early back to the campgrounds so be aware of that when making dinner or evening sightseeing plans.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #8

We lived on MDI (Bass Harbor) for 4 years when I was a kid and I rode my bicycle everywhere (dated a girl in Bar Harbor 18 miles 1 way). Definitely take the Island Explorer or rent a car. Most of the roads are not made for large RV's.

I still remember the time a big tour bus ran me off the road; somehow I managed to get my feet out of the toe clips, bailed off the bike and landed on my feet. 40 years on I'd be a mess on the side of the road.

MDI is great and lots to do and see. The park loop drive is beautiful, Thunder Hole, Bass Harbor Head, Cadillac Mountain, Jordan Pond House for popovers, lots of carriage trails for hiking or bike riding. There used to be a park service nature cruise out of Bass Harbor that was quite good. If you're into sailing/yachts, Hinckley is in Southwest Harbor and Morris is in Bass Harbor. If it's hot, locals go to the bluffs at Echo Lake for a swim. Bar Harbor and Northeast Harbor are upscale, Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor/Tremont (referred to as the "backside") are less touristy, more rural and traditionally where the majority of year-round working class folks lived. Which is why we lived there too!

sinnettc is online now   Reply With Quote