Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Adirondack's and Finger Lakes

Planning a trip to upstate NY. Want to tour the Finger Lakes Region and the Adirondacks. Based on some internet research, currently thinking the following campgrounds / RV parks. Any experience with these? Better ones I should consider?
Letchworth State Park
Sampson State Park or Sned-Acres Family RV
Brennan Beach RV Resort
Fish Creek Pond CG
North Pole Resort
Cumberland Bay State Park
Lake Harris CG
Ledgeview Village RV Park
North/South Lake CG

Have about 3 weeks to explore.

Thanks

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #2

We stayed at North Pole Resort - not fancy but some of the nicest people you would ever meet.

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

Letchworth SP should not be missed. Unbelievable beauty! Lots of large sites with plenty of privacy.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
During August are reservations needed in this area or can I keep trip flexible and maybe call ahead a day or so in advance?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
No trip to the Finger Lakes is complete with out visiting Watkins Glen and Taughannock Falls near Ithaca. Taughannock Falls is the highest east of the Rockies. Ithaca has many state parks, gorges, and hiking trails. Ok, I'm biased, I grew up there.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight View Post
No trip to the Finger Lakes is complete with out visiting Watkins Glen and Taughannock Falls near Ithaca. Taughannock Falls is the highest east of the Rockies. Ithaca has many state parks, gorges, and hiking trails. Ok, I'm biased, I grew up there.

Last year we stopped to see the Taughannock falls and it was dry! A bummer, but we enjoyed walking up the creek bed.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Trip Update

Decided that I should make reservations thinking that the NY state parks and campgrounds might be busy. Found that several of the campgrounds I had picked out on my itinerary were already booked up and that each had a 3 night minimum. Since none of these CG had hookups, I was surprised they were all full. I had to scramble and find new places and change my route. I now have 85% of the trip booked. Also, I re-investigated several of the private RV parks I had picked out and decided they weren't particularly nice choices. They were mostly seasonal campers and when I looked at the satellite images they looked live mobile home trailer parks.

Several of the state campgrounds I picked have no hook-ups but I wanted to be in those wilderness areas. It will be our first time dry camping in our new rig. I have no idea how my rigs resources (batteries in particular) will hold up. I will run some tests this weekend to see how well they can last.

On this forum, I read that so many travel without advance reservations and find places as you go. At one point I planned to do that on this trip but got concerned that since we are talking NY in the summer it might be busy. We are newbies and this is my first trip of any length to plan. I have never been to the area. Hope it works out well.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #8

In most of NYS parks you have to book 9 months out to get a site you want, before the wonderful Reserve America came along if was not such an issue. We have so few months of camping weather here everyone wants to get out and enjoy the NYS parks, even our local park Filmore Glen SP is almost impossible to get a site.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
In most of NYS parks you have to book 9 months out to get a site you want, before the wonderful Reserve America came along if was not such an issue. We have so few months of camping weather here everyone wants to get out and enjoy the NYS parks, even our local park Filmore Glen SP is almost impossible to get a site.
X2!

I booked one of the state park sites (4th of July weekend), last October. It's been booked solid for quite a while now. The season is short and state parks fill up fast.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Current trip plan

Have reservations now. Not sure if they are the best sites, but since it is our first time in the area I am sure we will find things to enjoy. Like being in nature, hiking, bird and wildlife watching, and just relaxing.

Finger Lakes Region:
- Letchworth State Park and Sampson State Park

Thousand Islands Region:
- Long Point State Park

Adirondacks:
- Meacham Lake State Campground
- North Pole Resort (Private RV park at base of Whiteface Mtn)

Lake George:
- Rogers Rock State Park (northwestern Lake George)
- Ledgeview Village RV Park (south of Lake George town)

If anyone has must see or must do items in these areas the recommendations would be welcomed. We'll be doing this trip from July 25 - Aug 16.