Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Advice on roads around and through Yosemite

We are planning a trip to Yosemite in late summer. I have been looking at the Park Service website and the restrictions on the roads are a bit confusing. There are length and height restrictions on most roads. We will be driving our 40' MH with a Tahoe behind coming from Minnesota. What are the best roads to use getting into and through the park?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #2

Two main roads in and out of Yosemite. 120 and 141. Coming from the East, 120 will take you through the high altitude Tioga Pass. This road is often closed until June because of deep snow. Going out of Yosemite west bound on 120 is OK, but there are a couple tunnels that might challenge a tall RV. You should check in advance.

Hwy 141 is probably an easier road in and out...it comes into the valley from the south. May be a longer haul, but some people will tell you it's worth it.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

^^^its hwy 41 not 141.

You will want to find a campground in the Yosemite valley and drive the Tahoe through the park to see the sights. Not much parking for a 40&toad.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

You have actually have four choices to choose from. Three of them will require you to cross over the Sierras on I80 from Reno to Sacramento then go south to Yosemite via I5, US99 or CA49. As stated find a park out of the valley to stay and visit via toad.

Entering from the west;
Fastest method;
  • Smoothest Route but longer: I80 to I5, south on I5 to Gustine / CA140 East to Merced, Mariposa and the Yosemite Gate / Entrance to Yosemite Valley
  • Faster route but can be rough, sometimes lots of construction: I80 to US99, south on US99 to Merced / CA140 East to Mariposa and the Yosemite Gate / Entrance to Yosemite Valley
Scenic route;
  • I80 to CA49 in Auburn, CA49 south to CA120 to the Yosemite gate and the Valley.
  • Cons: it's a two lane, twisty road, can be done in a day but you'll feel it by the time you get there! It's definately doable but you might encounter a few white-knuckle experiences but more than big enough for a big rig.
  • Pros: You'll see all the historic Gold Country towns along the route, beautiful lakes and scenery. There are some cool places to spend the night if your so inclined.
Tioga Pass from the east;
  • Once in Reno take US395 south to Mono Lake (worth checking out), take CA120 west. Absolutely beautiful drive up a very long grade to the summit. You will probably be creeping so be prepared. The view is worth it but you can do it in the toad too. There's not many places for a big rig to pull over but it can be done. At the summit there's pullouts and lots to see sights, can be busy. The Meadow section is narrow and twisty with virtually no chance to pull over unless your real lucky as it's usually overly packed with people, cars and tour buses there in the summer.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much for the advice guys!
It gives me a great start to planning our trip.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We wanted to visit the ghost town of Bodie and explore around Mono Lake so we stayed in Lee Vining at Mono Vista RV(which is a very nice CG) off of 395. The campground is less than a mile from 120 which leads to the east gate of Yosemite. We drove into the park four times for all day excursions along with some great Jeep roads in the area. Yosemite and backcountry roading(they even have glossy booklets with included maps to encourage off roading) were some of our favorite adventures. We stayed a full week in the area and even Jeeped some old stage coach roads...what a blast.

When we left, we drove 120 to 41 and headed south past Fresno to Three Rivers for visits to Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs...If possible, do not miss Kings Canyon - it was one of our biggest surprises of the trip.

BTW, we did disconnect the toad for the long pull up 120 past Tioga Pass. Reconnected and had no problems with the roads inside the park...it's kind of slow going anyway.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I was in Yosemite just last week, My coach is 12' 8" tall and cleared all four tunnels. The clearance ht is marked 10 something at the curb. I just kept very close if not on top of the double yellow line and all was good. On coming traffic was quite respectful and gave me the extra room. Go for it!!!
len poleshaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice