Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #29

It infringes on MY personal freedom to not have young people around me.

This is why people seek them out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Discrimination is LEGAL unless it falls within certain laws that pertain to areas such as race, religion, sex discrimination etc. Age discrimination is LEGAL unless prohibited as in the HUD housing laws. (Those laws do not apply to RV parks).

Some people want to legislate away every choice a person or business can make. Thank goodness there are limits to how many things are illegal, otherwise we would have no freedoms left at all in this country.

The vast majority of RV parks have no age limits. If you are outside the age limit of an RV park, it is easy to find another one.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #31

Here is my 2 cents worth of experience. When I started RVing with the kids. I taught them the RV rules of camping. Respect for others who are camping and never violate there camping space. Pickup your trash and even others trash as your walking about. I seen sewage being dumped illegally. I have heard the loud music and witnessed screaming amongst adults as well as kids. Drunks and more drunks. So now that I am over 55 it's a blessing to go to 55 and over parks for the peace and quite as well as the general good nature of the people I have come across. We as society have changed and have spoiled some of the great aspects of RVing. Yes it's great family time but I believe the foundation for having manners and respect for others have changed. I don't consider it discrimination. I consider it a small price to pay to at least have some tranquility from the craziness that has crept into RVing. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for a great forum and all of the props and cons

-Brian
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
It has nothing to do with drinking age - those are laws. There's no law that says I can't rent a space when I need it just because I'm under 55. It's arbitrary and discriminatory. People don't get to decide who can and can't buy or do something based on who the person is. Just like you cant stop someone buying something based on race. This practice infringes on personal freedom. It's plain discrimination if you can get the distinction. There's nothing pc about it.
May I ask...

Why is this such a big issue for you?

Is it "just" the age requirement.. or is there something more to the story?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #33

I would hate to have my younger self camping beside me.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
People don't get to decide who can and can't buy or do something based on who the person is. Just like you cant stop someone buying something based on race. This practice infringes on personal freedom. It's plain discrimination if you can get the distinction. There's nothing pc about it.
Ok, here's my 2 cents on this subject.

Let's use your your rv as an example. Who decides who can use it? Can any one (regardless of their age) come up and tell you to hand over the keys and they will take it camping? Of course not. Why? Because it is your personal property and you have the right to decide who can use it and who can't. .... Right?

Well, the same goes for private rv parks or anything else that is privately owned. It is the owner's private property and they have the right to decide who can use it and who can't.

Have you ever seen signs that say:

"No shirt, no shoes, no service"

or how about:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"

It has nothing to do with discrimination...it's all about private property and the rights of the owner.

Hope this helps in eliminating your confusion.

Ron
Old 04-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #35

[QUOTE=MRUSA14;3045725]Discrimination is LEGAL unless it falls within certain laws that pertain to areas such as race, religion, sex discrimination etc. Age discrimination is LEGAL unless prohibited as in the HUD housing laws. (Those laws do not apply to RV parks).
i know it doesnt apply here but when the wife passed away i tried to adopt my grandsons that we have been raiseing ,THE state of ct said i was too old to do that ,but i was alright to bring them up ,even got a letter from the state attorney general that says too old ????? so much for laws
Old 04-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
You just made my point. Age discrimintion is not illegal except when specific laws apply, such as employment.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #37

It would appear the OP is on a crusade against discrimination which I laud, however over the past 80 years I came to learn and accept that all in life is not fair.

One should always try to change any negative conditions they can, yet accepting and living with those they can't, and with enjoy the freedom of choice.

Best regards and safe travels to all.....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #38

Quote:
It has nothing to do with drinking age - those are laws. There's no law that says I can't rent a space when I need it just because I'm under 55. It's arbitrary and discriminatory. People don't get to decide who can and can't buy or do something based on who the person is. Just like you cant stop someone buying something based on race. This practice infringes on personal freedom. It's plain discrimination if you can get the distinction. There's nothing pc about it.
It's not discrimination, it's freedom of association. Private citizens on private property should have the right to choose whom they wish to associate with. I'd imagine you're fairly discriminatory when it comes to who you'll let in your home.

Who are you to try and veto these peoples personal choices?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #39

My first thought was, why this post? Then I remembered there are parks with rules against dogs, certain dog breeds, motorcycles, length of rig, bus conversions, etc. etc. Live with it and move on. Life is too short as it is to fret about battles that cannot be won.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #40

I don't know where the OP is referring to, but most of the over-55 RV parks in Florida are actually required to admit a certain percentage of under-55 customers and once that percentage is reached the park is "full" for under-55.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
It has nothing to do with drinking age - those are laws. There's no law that says I can't rent a space when I need it just because I'm under 55.
There is also no law that says a park has to rent to under those under 55. It is called freedom. They can also choose not to rent to blue Rv's, or people with tents, folks with dogs, or people with motorcycles. It's their RV park and they make the rules. Private property has rights. Your rights are to follow their rules or go elsewhere.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Perhaps minimum IQ restrictions would eliminate some from participating.

Closed Thread

Tags
scr