Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
geezer-neutral

Or transgeezer?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #72
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The park we winter in is age restricted, but as far as I know, they will not ask how old you are if you call for a reservation or turn you back at the gate if you are under 55. Consider the proclamation of "we are an age restricted park" as notice that they are unlikely to have anything to entertain your six year old.

While there is a small playground near our "main" clubhouse, you won't find one in any of the six communities or "phases" that make up the park. We frequently see young(er) people in the park, typically visiting someone else staying or living there. As we don't have much for young people to do we are not generally a destination for families with kids. Each of the phases has its own small swimming pool which during Christmas vacation or spring break time is typically over run with a large number of very "enthusiastic" grandkids. Residents that might otherwise make frequent use of the pool may not feel comfortable doing so at these times. While everyone enjoys their kids or grandchildren, love them dearly and can't wait for them to come and visit, many are relieved when they finally go home (as are their neighbors) and they can finally take a nap!

Our winter home is in the heart of the Florida theme park attractions area that attracts thousands families, many will take advantage of the MANY campgrounds or RV parks there are to choose from in the area. Age restricted community living isn't discrimination but a choice. We seem to have fewer choices and options available everyday. I might feel differently if there weren't options readily available.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 04-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #73
laj

Age discrimination in parks?

does the smell of BenGay, or the empty bottles of Geritol laying around count for the old geezer card ?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
. Somebody needs to establish a Uniform Code of Geezer Identification., UCGI for short. We need an established list of criteria to determine ones level of geezerness.

Feel free to continue the UCGI as the thoughts occur and be sure to post them before your feeble mind forgets the idea. Go!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 04-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Camping/campgrounds have changed a lot in the past few years (decade?) When we first started in our little pop-up campgrounds were a quiet retreat. We could listen to the sounds of nature. As time moved on travel became pricey and suddenly there were more people taking advantage of the inexpensive nature of camping. Campgrounds became a "party" zone, loud groups bonfires and kids galore. Now that we're older (and I have to preface this with the fact that I work with children daily) I really look forward to the day I can enter a 55+ rv park. AH to sit by the pool, able to read. To relax in the pool without any fear of being hit in the head by a ball, or jumped on by a cannonballing kid....ah.....
Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
As a Geezer-American, I'm glad there are choices.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #77

We dont have much choice about 55+ parks as snowbirds, but prefer family campgrounds.
The laughter of children is music to us! Watching them play, and being the occasional pinch kicker in kick ball (et al) is wonderful.
Guess our tolerance is high due to the neighbors we had in a "turned over" hood, and being included in their games.
Our first great grand child is due in July. Spoiling the grand kids was just a warmup!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 05-01-2016, 01:49 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We dont have much choice about 55+ parks as snowbirds, but prefer family campgrounds.
The laughter of children is music to us! Watching them play, and being the occasional pinch kicker in kick ball (et al) is wonderful.
Guess our tolerance is high due to the neighbors we had in a "turned over" hood, and being included in their games.
Our first great grand child is due in July. Spoiling the grand kids was just a warmup!

the world needs more people like you.

I have 3 kids ages 3,9, and 12. Both of my parents died young relatively speaking (62) and my wife's parents (divorced) are like some on here and are absent grandparents. Her mom has never met our 3 year old and only met the 9 year old twice. As someone who grew up very close to my grandparents it really hurts me to know that my children aren't getting the same experience that I got as far as learning about our families past from people who actually lived it and there are just some things grandparents can give a child that their parents can't. There are very few days that go by that I don't miss my parents but not so much for my sake....for the sake of my kids. My parents were built to be grandparents. They would've loved it. Anytime I'm out in public and a person of that generation goes out of their way to speak to my kids it really means a lot to me and I get more out of it than that person knows.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #79

Age discrimination in parks?

Thanks, 0rion! Thanks for your post, and sorry for your disappointments along the way. It all seems to work out. I'm sure you have beautiful children, and know their grandparents would have cherished them!
Some folks lose connection with the other generations. Not only do we enjoy the company of children, but the teens and all ages of the human spectrum.
I wish that all generations may keep contact and relate with this amazing spectrum with us. Today's children will be the basis of a great generation if we make surrogate grandchildren of them, tell our stories to them, play their games with them, possibly affecting their attitudes on being good and responsible.
Back on topic: 55+ parks don't bother me, but they lack the joy. I guess they cater to folks that have lost connection with younger folks, and how to relate to them.
Sheesh! Did I kill this thread?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 05-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #80
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We love our nieces and nephews, love spending time with them, but I don't want to live with them long term. My wife volunteers at Give Kids the World. Loves the work and the interaction with the kids but again, we don't live there. We are BIG Disney fans and winter very close to Disney World. We'll spend at least two days a week in the park. Part of the fun is watching the little ones excitement, but we don't live there either. Some of you are missing the point of a 55+ community. It's not an escape from the world at large, but a refuge where one can relax and recharge.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #81
laj

it is way more then that. its about the rights of park owners to cater to the clientele they want to cater to, and the freedom of choice of people what atmosphere they choose to stay in. not whether they like their grandchildren or long tales of woes.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #82

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just curious, what if a park refused entry for people OVER 55?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #83

Hey, Old Geezer! Stop riding your bike thru our camp site! I saw you on your electric razer kick over our chairs and BBQ pit.

sigpic160806_2.gif
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #84
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
just curious, what if a park refused entry for people OVER 55?

easy, nothing different, would be their
right, wouldnt it?

Tags
scr