Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #85
your voice, your choice. let's leave the legislation out of 'free choice'.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #86
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I guess if there is an under 55 park we won't be going there. Although we aren't much over.

We have never stayed in an over 55 RV park but my MIL lives in an over 55 community and I think it is really nice. Your kids and grandkids can visit but they have some kind of time limit. It neat and quiet with activities geared toward the community.

I guess some people feel they did their stint taking care of the kids and now the torch gets passed on. Love to see our grandkids but after a few hours sometimes it's time for mom & dad to take them home.

I don't think the 55+ parks discriminate. Besides why would you purposely go to a place where there is a good chance you will not be liked when you knew the boundaries ahead of time.

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #87
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I want to get younger than 55 so I can be discriminated against for being too young.... Try getting a job when you are over 62... That is when you feel what age discrimination is all about...
Even at 55 with a degree in Computers it was and is tough! Retired at 51 and worked for a few years doing contract work and bottom fell out. Now all I can find is a minimum wage job in a retirement center. I have the equivalent of a Masters in Civil Engineering and an AA in Computer Managed Information Systems with over 20 years experience in engineering and 10+ years in computers and I still couldn't find a good job.
Now I'm 69 and it really doesn't matter!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Old 05-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #88
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

I don't think the 55+ parks discriminate.
Besides why would you purposely go to a place where there is a good chance you will not be liked when you knew the boundaries ahead of time.
To your first point (above)... it is discrimination, but not illegal discrimination, and not necessarily a bad thing. Depends on your point of view.

To the second point... You're spot on! If any business doesn't welcome you in any way, why would you want to go there?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #89
I want to know how the OP found out how much fun the 55+ only CG's are. Who spilled the beans?
55+ CG's fill a very necessary niche, providing a valuable public service. It is well known that after a certain age people tend to get forgetful about the most simple things. These campgrounds help protect our country's youth from the emotional scarring that seeing old geezers walking around without pants can cause.
2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Summerland Mini 1750 RD
2012 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2L
Old 05-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #90
Can't I just go to the park I "Self Identify" with?

Wait!... Wrong subject. Never mind! 😀
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #91
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just read an older online article--about an RV caravan in Alaska--that gave me some fresh insight on the subject of "age discrimination" in parks (or elsewhere). Seems a 26 year old man robbed 2 of the RVs before being body slammed by a 70-yr old NH man who was also part of the caravan.

The hero of the story (which was subtitled "Grumpy Old Men in Alaska") had been a hockey player when in school and quipped it had been some time since he had body slammed an opponent. The rest of the caravan surrounded the thief, who wisely stayed prostrate on the ground until police arrived. All stolen property was recovered.

Maybe the younger folks are being kept out because they just can't keep up.
2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I want to get younger than 55 so I can be discriminated against for being too young.... Try getting a job when you are over 62... That is when you feel what age discrimination is all about...
When the bottom dropped out of the economy thanks to the mortgage meltdown in 2007, my job went with it.

I found out all about age discrimination when I tried to find a job at age 54. I got a job with an independent adjuster, but the work was very sporadic. Because of that, I also had to moonlight working in security to make ends meet. Not fun!
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #93
Anyone who has experienced age discrimination for being too old should understand. I wrote this post after we were refused from a couple parks for no other reason than our age. To me it's not defensible. I call a park at 6pm, they have spaces, but they refuse us because we're under 50. Never mind that we are quiet, clean, no kids or pets. It's ridiculous. A business can refuse service to anyone but it's usually due to their actions, like if someone is drunk and needs to be kicked out of a restaurant or someone doesn't wear a shirt into the store. But what I'm talking about is bias, no different than not hiring a 54 year old. I understand that it's not illegal but it's still shortsighted. And when we needed a place to stay and were refused, I'd say it was downright wrong.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #94

I guess the CGs have the philosophy that you can please some of the people all of the time. You can please all of the people some of the time. But you can never please all of the people all of the time.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #95
Or it could be that by a far majority, persons 55+ are the highest voting segment in the country and the most consistent. Very few politicians (you know, the people who would rectify this?) will piss off this group of people.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #96
Oh one more thing... I did see somebody reference this as free enterprise.. The part I said about making rules strict and banned people based off their personal history with the park is free enterprise.. Not banning people blindly. That is discrimination
Old 05-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Guess the "Senior's" menu should be banned also? Dag-nab-it, I want my senior discount for which I worked hard to get!
Harold and Cynde
2013 F150 S/C 4x4 Ecoboost, 2014 Winnebago UltraLite, Chasing trains where ever we are.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #98

Ageism only works in one direction at this point in time. Thou shall not discriminate against a person (of an elderly age). It doesn't really apply to those persons who are younger in practice.

The 55+ group is a VERY LARGE and VERY ACTIVE lobbying group. Judges (elected) and Politicians (elected) will not be upsetting this group any time soon. People need to accept this, and move on.

Your ability to stay or not stay in these types of parks has no direct correlation on how long you live or how you live. Outside of those two factors, it really means nothing other than giving you a (weak) reason to jump up on top of a soapbox and yell into the wind.

Closed Thread