Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Age discrimination in parks?

How is it that RV parks are allowed to discriminate based on age? Is it legal for parks to ban people under 55? How are they legally able to do it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
How is it that RV parks are allowed to discriminate based on age? Is it legal for parks to ban people under 55? How are they legally able to do it?
Here is some information on the topic:

Can You Stay in 55+ RV Parks if You’re Under 55? | Technomadia
Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
laj

very simple, their park, their rules. gated communities do it all the time. its called free enterprise and i hope we never lose it, altho some are working on it. just pick a park that fits you and move on.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Is it legal for parks to ban people under 55?
FaithBowls
Apparently "age discrimination" IS "legal" .... But look on the bright side.... you will hopefully get to be old enough to join us in 55+ RV parks.
Until then you will have to be satisfied staying in any one of the thousands of RV parks that do not discriminate based on age.

BTW my now 20 year old coach, (which will not get younger), has encountered "age discrimination" in RV parks for the last 10 years.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

I see. So they're using an anti- discrimination law to discriminate. Great. I won't ever want to stay at a geezer park. That's not free enterprise. It's prejudice. If I want to hire someone, I'm not allowed to ask their age. We're quiet and well behaved. No reason to discriminate based on age. In know plenty of 60 year olds who are a lot more loud and wild than we are.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
laj

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/free_enterprise.asp
Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

What about those parks that don't let us poor non-class A owners in?

People that complain about not getting into a 55+ park will be the same ones in them later so that they aren't bothered by noisy kids, freeing them to complain that their neighbor's RV isn't new enough or clean enough. I spent enough time visiting my mom in senior housing not to want to live/camp only around older folks.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Great. I won't ever want to stay at a geezer park.
Well then at least it's not a problem for ya.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Old Geezer....I resemble that remark!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
I prefer to think of it more as "personal choices" instead of "discrimination".
If someone doesn't like the choices then there are ALWAYS other places and countries that are available. Yes discrimination has to be dealt with in whatever way the majority agrees to.

Sometimes we prefer different aged parks for different reasons at different times and are glad to have the "choice".

Stepping down now.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #11

I can understand not wanting the liability and annoyance of kids or pets. I can understand not wanting leaky, noisy, smelly old rv's. I can't agree with discrimination based on age, color or creed. That's prejudice against another individual based on who they are. That's called discrimination in the USA.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #13
laj

sooo, make your choices against anyone or thing you want, just as long as its not me, then i'll call it discrimination. roflmao😂😂😂😂😂
beam me up scotty, holes to deep and dark here.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #14

Quote:
I can understand not wanting the liability and annoyance of kids or pets. I can understand not wanting leaky, noisy, smelly old rv's. I can't agree with discrimination based on age, color or creed. That's prejudice against another individual based on who they are. That's called discrimination in the USA.
FaithBowls
Not all kids and pets are an annoyance... and not all old RV's are leaky, noisy, smelly.

That said....I only spend MY $$ at RV parks where my RV and I are wanted/welcome.
In other words I choose to discriminate against ANY RV park that has a policy, (or policies), I don't like or agree with.

You can do the same ...or NOT.
(It's up to you and each individual RV park).

Mel
'96 Safari
Closed Thread

Tags
scr