Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #15

We just spent 10 weeks from So Cal to Alaska and back in our RV. All my friends have done the Cruise Ships and nobody really came back with great stories etc to excite us enough. We drove almost 12,000 miles and never had one bad day nor did I tire of driving as around every corner is a new view etc. Someday maybe we'll do a Cruise Ship but it's not near the top of the list for now.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree...Do the Rving round trip...at a future date sign up for a relaxed Inside Passage Cruise.

Planning a 2016 RVing Alaska trip

Pic from our 2013 Alaskan fly up trip
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #17

From everyones input i have decided to drive RV the entire trip. Do a cruise another time. I think I will do at least 10 weeks for the round trip.
Thanks for all the great info,
Bruce
Old 01-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
From everyones input i have decided to drive RV the entire trip. Do a cruise another time. I think I will do at least 10 weeks for the round trip.
Thanks for all the great info,
Bruce
I did the trip from Toronto to Kluane National Park - it took me 5 days of driving to even get to Dawson Creek. Not enough time to go into Alaska but one day I will. Northern BC had absolutely spectacular scenery, along the AlCan, and the wildlife, in the Yukon, didn't disappoint (Grizzly & black bears on the shoulders of the highway, bison blocking a bridge, deer, caribou - all co-operated with posing for photos).

Also, don't miss the hot springs at Liard River Provincial Park.

From what I've read, the alternate route through the interior of BC, although a rough highway at times, is also a route with spectacular scenery.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Steve
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
?? for those who have made the trip. Coming from Ohio ( 4300 miles) do you think 3 weeks are enough time to allow for the trip up to Fairbanks?

If I divide 4300 miles by 21 days I come out with about 200 miles per day. The first 2000 miles (Cleveland to Calgary) I'll plan on 4 or 5 days. So that leaves me with 2300 over the next 17 days or 130 miles per day. I'm thinking maybe 4 weeks are in order. 4 weeks would allow me just 100 miles per day and time to stay at places along the way for more than a day.

I have a driveway to stay at while in Fairbanks (North Pole) while visiting sis-in-law. I figure we'll stay there a week or two, then go down to Denali for a few days, Homer / Seward, then back up to Fairbanks, maybe head down to Valdez for some fishing with the sis & Bro -in - law. Maybe head home the week after Labor day.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #20

Short answer NO! Before we retired and time was ours, we made the trip to the lower 48 every other year. We would take four weeks to cover about 6500 miles and always wished we had more time. I have made it from central Oregon to our place in Alaska in 4.5 days, I was very worn out by the time we got home. Not something that I would want to do again. Can you do the trip in 3 weeks, yes, but you will not have much time to 'smell the roses'! You will find that you will want to spend more time in one place then what you have allowed for. You will also find the you did not plan for the 'unexpected' things that can happen. Between floods, fires and road construction, time can/will get away from you.
Look your plan over and see what you really want to do. Either way, hope that you have a 'safe/fun trip'!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
?? for those who have made the trip. Coming from Ohio ( 4300 miles) do you think 3 weeks are enough time to allow for the trip up to Fairbanks?
You can definitely do it in 3 weeks but you'd miss a lot along the way and you'd be worn out. Save the trip for when you have a lot more time. Most folks spend 2-3 months and do it leisurely.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
You can definitely do it in 3 weeks but you'd miss a lot along the way and you'd be worn out. Save the trip for when you have a lot more time. Most folks spend 2-3 months and do it leisurely.
No, I was just referring to the trip up (Ohio to Fairbanks) should I plan 3 or 4 weeks. I do plan to leave June 1st and come back after Labor Day. So I will be gone for 3 months. I think at this point the only reservation would be for campsites inside the Denali NP.

I actually re-routed it coming into Calgary from the east. That will get me down to 4000 miles each way. Originally I was coming into Calgary from the south. Still plan to hit Banff and Jasper.