Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
tjd

Planning our trip to Alaska next summer my wife has informed me that she wants to stop in Cranbrook, BC. She has a cousin who just moved there from the Philippines and she wants to visit her. Which does not seem to be a issue. That means we can stop off in Salmon, ID and take a look around. I went to Salmon, ID once before when I was a boy with my father on a fishing trip and would be interested to see how things have changed.

Well this is not really my question. Since we would be going a different route then I originally planned I see we will not be going through Calgary and Edmonton anymore.

We would be traveling up Highway 93. Does anyone have any experience going this route? What is it like?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd View Post
Planning our trip to Alaska next summer my wife has informed me that she wants to stop in Cranbrook, BC. She has a cousin who just moved there from the Philippines and she wants to visit her. Which does not seem to be a issue. That means we can stop off in Salmon, ID and take a look around. I went to Salmon, ID once before when I was a boy with my father on a fishing trip and would be interested to see how things have changed.

Well this is not really my question. Since we would be going a different route then I originally planned I see we will not be going through Calgary and Edmonton anymore.

We would be traveling up Highway 93. Does anyone have any experience going this route? What is it like?
We are leaving Dawson Creek on June 22/13 with a small caravan of 15 rigs.
To answer your question on hwy. 93, it is a 2 lane highway that is a little curvy and sometimes rough in spots but take your time, enjoy the sights and you will be just fine. Make sure you are full of fuel before you cross the border as the price in BC might give you a bit of a shock! Around $5 plus/gal.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Alaska is on our bucket list. Not sure if it will be this coming summer or the next. Grew up in Glen Allen, Virginia, so want to see Glennallen, Alaska.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
alaska went there in 2011. mike post a must and maps we used it for info but made are own rout. laird hot springs a must.haines you can buy dunges crab so much to c drive slow no worries if need oil change bring your oil & filter in tok theres 2 repair places.bears all over bring bear spray and carry it. have great time
safe travles bob,linda & missy
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #19

Has anyone taken the trip from Chicken, AK to Dawson City, Yukon?
I understand this track is about 110 miles of gravel but if the weather is dry, I assume it should be OK with the exception of being slower.
We are with a Caravan that goes from Tok, AK to Chicken on our return leg of our trip. From Chicken, they travel back to Beaver Creek and on to Whitehorse which is the same route we will travel up.
Rather than backtrack on the same route, we are thinking of continuing on from Chicken to Dawson City. Spend a couple of days in Dawson and head South to meet with the Caravan in Whitehorse.

Just wondering if anyone has done this route and if there is anything we should be aware of?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #20

I went from Dawson City to Chicken about four years or so ago. Yes, gravel road and slow. You do have to take a ferry across the river at Dawson City - no charge but seems scary because it is not one of those "big city" ferries. That drive is remote, little if any businesses along the way, but very scenic. We also went up to Eagle & stayed there which added a couple of days to the trip.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I went from Dawson City to Chicken about four years or so ago. Yes, gravel road and slow. You do have to take a ferry across the river at Dawson City - no charge but seems scary because it is not one of those "big city" ferries. That drive is remote, little if any businesses along the way, but very scenic. We also went up to Eagle & stayed there which added a couple of days to the trip.
Thanks for the info ciderdog,
Caravan operator says it is about a 4-5 hour trip from Chicken to Dawson. When you went, was it with your current rig and did you have a toad? Any issues on ferries with the toad?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awesome traveling, did it up and back in 2003 with no issues, will do it again 1n 2013 early in spring after snow melts. Safe traveliong and who knows we migh see each other along the way.

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #23

Definitely go to Dawson City! Yes, the road will be slow but it gives you more time to enjoy the scenery. Semi trucks use the ferry. You'll be just fine with the towed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I used the ferry at 63' but they have handlers that know what and where to look to put you on the ferry. But if you get nervice with only and inch or two from a scratch, scratch the ferry. The Chicken to Dawson city isn't too bad but I would not do it again, it will have either dust or mud. I got dust and blew the MH out for days after and had to wash all the bays out when we got back state side and everything in them(I thought they were tight "NOT").
Good camping area at Chicken and one about halfway to Dawson City. And don't miss out on the dance hall dinner show.

LEN
Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I understand that is best to detach the toad before going on the ferry, then reconnect on the other side. Gives the ferry operators more latitude in loading and probably will get you across faster if there is a line.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Thanks for the info ciderdog,
Caravan operator says it is about a 4-5 hour trip from Chicken to Dawson. When you went, was it with your current rig and did you have a toad? Any issues on ferries with the toad?

You are welcome: At that time I had a 28 foot Safari Trek and no tow vehicle. But there were much larger RV's on that road. As mentioned the above the ferry may seem tight but the handlers are very good at getting your RV safely on and off. If memory serves me correctly the ferry at Dawson operates in daylight hours only so if heading from Chicken to Dawson City the time element might be something to consider. I don't remember how long the drive took but it seemed more than 4-5 hours but after looking at the Alaska Camping book it shows 144 miles (232 km) from Dawson City to either Chicken or Eagle so 4-5 should be a good estimate.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
dennis45, We traveled from Dawson City to Tok this summer, 2012. You can see our blog at RVGR8escape which covers this part of our trip mid June.
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
dennis45, We traveled from Dawson City to Tok this summer, 2012. You can see our blog at RVGR8escape which covers this part of our trip mid June.
Thank you for sharing your adventure. We are really looking forward to our trip this summer.
I have a couple of rock chips in the MH windshield now and had planned on doing the replacement when we return. I have driven in the North (Northern Alberta and the NWT) a fair amount and know all about rocks.
Funny thing is most of the rocks come while on paved roads from trucks that just came off the gravel.
Thanks again,