Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
biz

Monaco Owners Club
Smile Alaska 2013

Heading to Alaska in June 2013, we'll be entering from Sweetgrass after a visit to Glacier.
Right now looking to travel to Fairbanks and return the western route and back to MT, I know there are a lot of stops in between. Estimate about 10 weeks from my NC location.
Question is, (for those of you that have traveled Alaska) any special places to visit,, out the way and really cool.
I'll be driving a 36' pusher towing a Jeep Cherokee so any suggestions about the road(s) and precautions are appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
Heading to Alaska in June 2013, we'll be entering from Sweetgrass after a visit to Glacier.
Right now looking to travel to Fairbanks and return the western route and back to MT, I know there are a lot of stops in between. Estimate about 10 weeks from my NC location.
Question is, (for those of you that have traveled Alaska) any special places to visit,, out the way and really cool.
I'll be driving a 36' pusher towing a Jeep Cherokee so any suggestions about the road(s) and precautions are appreciated.
Planning the same trip from Florida. Let me know what you hear on this subject. Thanks
Cal

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #3

We went this summer. windshield cover for toad, most campgrounds don't open on ALCAN until late May. Get a copy of Milepost and it will describle what to see along the way. Happy travels

Skip
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Also, if retired military, good campground at Anchorage.

Skip
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

We did the Alaska jaunt this past summer, but we flew into Anchorage and rented an RV. Fun times with great scenery. I'd go again without thinking about it.

The Milepost is a must have for any Alaska trip. We found that some of the campground information was in error. Not overstated but understated. One was the campground in Wrangell that said there were no hookups when there were full hook ups at most of the sites.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #6

Hope you're not just heading to Fairbanks and then turning around...there is much more to see, especially on the Kenai Peninsula, Skagway, Haines, Valdez, Top of the World Highway, and of course, Denali Nat'l Park. The only reservations we made were for July 4 weekend and 5 nights in Denali at the farthest c.g. you can take your RV - Talkeetna. Those reservations were made about 3 weeks prior to arriving when we could judge our time better. We also spent 5 nights in the front campground, Riley Creek - without reservations. We boondocked just outside the park the previous night and went in to get a site early morning. No problem for our 40' motorhome. We spent 3 m. on the trip at a leisurely pace - crossing at Sumas, Washington the last week of May. We rarely stayed in private campgrounds. There are some terrific scenic sites to boondock just off the highway. Also, we enjoyed the Seward and Homer city parks - right on the water. We also did some national forest and state parks. You'll find that private campgrounds are almost always gravel parking lots. Yes, take the Milepost and also Mike & Terry Church's book "Alaskan Camping" which includes Canada and the Yukon, also. It's so much more accurate than the Milepost. They lived in Fairbanks and travel to Alaska often and their book is constantly updated with online entries. They include private and public campgrounds and even some great boondocking spots. Also get the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book - online - BEFORE your trip because there are some things you might want to do enroute to Alaska. One glacier cruise will pay for the book. We loved the Stan Stephens tour out of Valdez. Have fun planning for a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
We are doing the same trip. We will be traveling with 2 other couples. ( one with a 5th wheel the other has a DP MH like mine. We should compare notes so we will have all the info to make this a trip of a life time. We plan to leave that same area about that time or earlier depending on weather.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We did the trip 2 years ago, just shot from the hip, used this site on the Alaska form and got a lot of info from there. We went by ourselves and had no time frame or date to travel, we drove when we wanted and stopped when we felt like it. One thing to get if they still offer it is the 2 for one book, cost was $99.00 first trip it paid for itself, I think we saved over $800.00 on the side trips, well worth the money. The Kenai was worth extra time fishing, sightseeing take extra time and enjoy. In Fairbanks, be sure to take the paddle wheeler and the gold panning train ride both are great. Talkeetna do the jet boat ride, (again the 2 for one ticket worked), in Denali the tour was very nice would do it again... We spent 2 months and traveled about 7,000 miles...... not enough time , really would like to do it again
Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
tjd

I was just about to post the same questions. We are leaving the last week in May and only have 6 weeks for the trip. We need to be back in Arizona by July 22nd.

I will just fool this thread and ask questions here.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #10

Greenskeeper - would this be the 2 for 1 you mention?
Did you get your 2-for-1 Alaska TourSaver book? | Alaska TravelGram
We drove to Alaska a few years ago and if all goes well we'll be doing it again in 2013.
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, we got that and the milepost guide also the churches camping books all from Amazon, they had the best price, it sure was worth the money...... sure wish we could do it again, so many things we missed...................I think it takes one trip to do all the tourist things and another one to do all the rest...........
Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Traveled to Alaska in 2012 form New York State. Started May 16 returned Sept. 1, 14,000 miles. It was a trip on a life time. Had many great adventures and two major problems. Would do it again. You can see the adventure on our blog. RVGR8escape
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We are making the trip to Alaska in 2013 also, traveling by ourselves with no specific timeframes except for time at Denali, making reservations to be there when we want. Leaving WA State around the 12th of May, returning by mid Sept. Want to travel the TOW, maybe via the Campbell Hwy if road conditions permit, if not the Klonidike will have to do. Tok, Fairbanks, Denali NP, Anchorage, Kenai Penisula, Wrangel/St. Elias NP, Valdez, and the many spots in between are spots we want to stop to visit, fish, and just relax and enjoy what they have to offer. Returning via Haines/Skagway, and the Cassiar Hwy to WA State. Using the Milepost, GPS and Churches books to find places to stop at, and things to do once we stop. Looking so forward to the trip, hope to see any of you on the road, or in a campground, camping area, or wide spot in the road! Have a same journey, take your time and enjoy all there is to see and do.

Spike, Kay and the mighty Cocker Spaniel Zoey
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Been to AK. maybe 4 or 5 times by plane visiting Sis-in-law in North Pole over the last 15 years. I'm planning a RV trip for 2016 the year I retire. Yes, the paddle boat in Fairbanks is worth it, but $$$$. At this point I would plan the trip as day to day. There are so many places to just pulloff and enjoy the outdoors. The last few visits to AK I never saw a campground full. Even the campground next to Denali NP. was 1/4 full for mid Aug.

Keep an eye out for all the berries you can pick starting in late July onward. (rosehip, hi & low bush cranberries, salmonberries, blueberries)

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote