Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:49 AM   #155

Chicken and Top of the World Highway, never again. I wish someone had warned me to stay away from there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #156

I didn't find it that bad......a few years ago, but like I said, once is enough, you have to make the trip once, it goes in the loss side of the ledger. Though on our way down from the Top of the world, we found a working gold mine not very far and was able to drive the rig into the field where working and got a tour.....they even let us try our luck panning in an actual river and " pay dirt " you dig right there. Not much luck, a few flakes, but a couple of hours of fun.

I remember someone told me about how Roswell NM was a dud.....I still had to see for myself.....life is full of surprises.....take the ride.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #157

Heading to Alaska in about ten days for the summer. Any comments on DEF availability on the Alcan. I'm planning on topping off before crossing border and carrying two 5 gallon jugs of DEF with me for the trip. Just wondering? 😓
djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #158

No problems as I know of..........but most of the small stations will not have def.......you should be okay
Old 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #159

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We are here in Tox for 3 nites........going to visit the Wrangell St. Elias NP tomorrow......been to Chicken/Top of the world and I agree ,go if you have never been, but to go back a second time would not make my heart condition any better.....
Going on to Fairbanks Monday....was planning on staying a couple of weeks in the area,
Make a stop at the Fairbanks Visitor Center...Very good parking and a whole lot of info for the whole state. The small Visitor Center in North Pole has very little info....mostly gifts. I'm sure you have been to Santa Clause House in North Pole.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #160

Yes been there....the campground is closed....a lot of the campgrounds here still have frozen water.....you can get electric, but no water. Only a few RV parks have full hookups, mostly 30 amp and water.
We will be at Fort Wainwright which only has water and electric.........called a few places and have gotten no answer or call backs as to being open or closed for good.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeprubi View Post
Chicken and Top of the World Highway, never again. I wish someone had warned me to stay away from there.
We skipped it because so many people warned us. Tok cutoff rattled our rig pretty good this year though.

One thing to watch out for. We filled our tank with fresh water at Watsons Lake in the downtown RV park where we stayed. Next day we noticed the water from our fresh water tank was brown and disgusting. We had to flush and sanitize our tanks.

And one tip, there's a beautiful (and free) USFW campground on a lake not far over the border once you get into Alaska. Deadman lake campground.

I've been buying DEF at Walmarts but seems like I get the last one every time I buy it.

Camping on the Homer Spit tonight. What a trip !
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #162

We are in one of Tok's nicest RV parks at 35 a nite with a pull thru 50 amp site.....where as Tok Village is 44.40 a nite and Sourdough is 42.00 a nite with 30 amp.

Today we are going to the Wrangell St-Elias NP.....
Old 06-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc454 View Post
Heading to Alaska in about ten days for the summer. Any comments on DEF availability on the Alcan. I'm planning on topping off before crossing border and carrying two 5 gallon jugs of DEF with me for the trip. Just wondering? 😓

Just drove from Fairbanks to Seattle in the last 4 days. Take DEF with you. Every small town we stopped at did not have any. Didn't see any at the Walmart in Whitehorse either, but the auto stores there may have some.
tcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #164

Winnebago Owners Club
What is def?
Phil14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #165

Thanks for the info tcreek. I'll stock up in AZ before we head out.
djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #166

My thanks to Phil for asking what DEF is because I don't know either. I'm fairly new to this and, in the future, would you please when using an abbreviation such as DEF, give the full name at least somewhere in your posts.

I'm really enjoying reading all the posts about going to Alaska this summer. You all make me jealous. We were there last summer in a rented RV and had the trip of a lifetime. I certainly intend to visit that most beautiful state again, but it won't be this summer.
bwaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #167

Alpine Owners Club
DEF is a diesel fuel additive recently added to meet emission standards, if you need it you know it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #168

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It's available all over BC according to my step daughter. Her and her husband have a diesel unit and travel all over BC going hunting and fishing. The real kicker for most people is the $5.30 a gallon fuel prices up here.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote