Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschwarz View Post
We did Top of World Highway in our motor home a couple of years ago. While the scenery was beautiful, it wasn't anything we hadn't seen before or after. It's an 80 mile windy skinny dirt road with big vehicle traffic. Months after the trip, we were still cleaning dirt out of everything. We had a cooking pot with a cover on it inside a closed drawer. Somehow dirt got inside the pot. Dawson City is worth seeing. If we go there again, we'll leave the coach in Tok or Chicken and drive the toad to Dawson City.
My thoughts exactly on the top of the world hwy. Yuk.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #30

I do like the idea of leaving the TT in Tok or Chicken and taking the truck if it is only 80 miles. That would be a nice day trip. Thanks

Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
The dirt road part is about 80 miles from Chicken to the Canadian border. In Canada, the road is paved. I don't remember how far it was from the border to the Dawson City.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #32

Thanks we can figure the rest out. It might be more than a day trip with the slow driving. Time will tell.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry

The reason I asked if the TOW was worth the trip is I really want to see Dawson City. We talked about doing a day trip from Tok. Sounds like I will have to give up on Dawson City.
Lightseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #34

Why give up on Dawson City? The TOW is very driveable. Thousands of RVers do it every summer.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #35

TOW- Dawson

Best time to come to Alaska May - July after that it is ok but usually a-little wet, drizzle not hard rain.

Coming to Alaska if the sign says frost heaves they really mean frost hills, slow down or you will break something. Some years are better than others but the boarder to Glen Allen can be a paved roller coaster.

The Dalton HWY is no place for an RV, if the weather is nice the road is dusty and traveled by truckers, (broken windshield) flat tires near any construction. If you think it was a long distance between gas stations coming to Alaska think twice about this road it wasn't built for tourist.
Rent an SUV in Fairbanks to travel this road.

Check out this web site to decide for yourself. Everyone has their own idea about what is worth your time.
Welcome to Dawson City - Klondike Visitors Association

Top of the World Highway*
The road is in good shape early in the season as soon as it is open, later it becomes wash board. If you take your RV or TVL take yor time, travel to Alaska is not about hanging out at Walmart it's seeing the country and enjoying a unique life style.
If you take an RV or TVL trailer check to make sure it can fit on the ferry at Dawson.
The George Black Ferry

The Top of the World Highway*
Distance:**301 km (Dawson to Tok, Alaska)

Tok to Dawson

If you leave your rig in Tok it is closer to 180 miles to Dawson over the Taylor HWY (Top of the world highway). I wouldn't bother heading to Eagle unless you have some adventure planned.
Tok to Dawson is at least a two day trip one day to drive in stops along the way for pictures or hiking. You should reach Dawson around 5 P.M., book a room ahead or stay at bed and breakfast (meet some locals) rather than stay at a hotel. Some times you get lucky at B&B find very friendly people willing to share local knowledge of things to do and see. Play tourist for awhile, grab a bite to eat, then head to Diamond Tooth Gerties.

Cancan dancers and Gertie, Canada’s oldest gambling hall gives you a chance to re-live the heady days of Dawson’s Gold Rush era. With three nightly summer shows by Gertie and her *Girls, Diamond Tooth Gerties is today a fixture of fun-filled entertainment where patrons can enjoy a beverage while playing blackjack, roulette, Texas Hold'em poker and an array of glittering slot machines.
Second day take your time leaving a little more sight seeing, drive up on the Dome for the view, head back to Tok. We usually make it a three day trip. But then we always have activities such as hiking, visiting Dredges, tvl some of the back roads.

Jack London's house* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **Dawson City Museum

The scenery is a little different more what we consider rolling hills rather than mountains, an abandoned Dredge along the road, another in Chicken to tour, some panning if you are into trying your hand at prospecting. For us it is a fun weekend. Just a sample of things to see in Dawson.

Alaska 511 - Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska.

Hopefully I have answered some of your questions. You may have noticed I am a little bias when it comes to Alaska and Dawson.*
Bradley C
Old 02-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #36

We are planning on buying a Lap top for the trip. Our Cell phone is one of the cheap one's not smart phone. We would like to pay some bills on the net and watch our accounts along with phoning the kids while in Canada and Alaska. If the answer is on the iRV what words do I use to find it? I am also interested in good security. Some people say WI-Fi can be bad when traveling. How do a couple of old phone people do this when traveling on a trip like this. We are pretty good with the computer but this is off the desk top. Thank you Rich & Mary.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #37

To add to what Bradley said. Don't be concerned about taking your RV and towed on the George Black ferry, it can take the largest of RV's. When we boarded the ferry, my friend's 45' Essex and towed Ford Explorer fit easily in the middle, with a row of cars on each side. The next trip, our Chevy dually and 40' 5er was placed on one side, with two rows of autos alongside.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydust View Post
We are planning on buying a Lap top for the trip. Our Cell phone is one of the cheap one's not smart phone. We would like to pay some bills on the net and watch our accounts along with phoning the kids while in Canada and Alaska. If the answer is on the iRV what words do I use to find it? I am also interested in good security. Some people say WI-Fi can be bad when traveling. How do a couple of old phone people do this when traveling on a trip like this. We are pretty good with the computer but this is off the desk top. Thank you Rich & Mary.
I did all our banking via my laptop whenever we would be in a CG with WiFi. Never had any problems with payments or security. Another method is to use a libraries computer, and this Lightweight Portable Security program developed by the Air Force for the DOD. It assures your banking session will be secure and private.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #39

Thanks Ray,IN for your help. I think I am over thinking this. I keep thinking I should upgrade my phone to make it a Hot Spot but I don't like the expense for such a short time. We use Verizon. Thanks again Rich
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #40

As I read this thread, the wife has our 2011 trip on a slide show on her laptop...still in awe of what we saw. I wanna go back! Too much left unseen.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
To add to what Bradley said. Don't be concerned about taking your RV and towed on the George Black ferry, it can take the largest of RV's. When we boarded the ferry, my friend's 45' Essex and towed Ford Explorer fit easily in the middle, with a row of cars on each side. The next trip, our Chevy dually and 40' 5er was placed on one side, with two rows of autos alongside.
I am planning on taking the ferry with 33ft gasser towing a jeep suv. i have read there is some risk of dragging the rear on entry or exit. did you see any problems like that?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #42

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydust View Post
Thanks Ray,IN for your help. I think I am over thinking this. I keep thinking I should upgrade my phone to make it a Hot Spot but I don't like the expense for such a short time. We use Verizon. Thanks again Rich
I am mulling this same issue especially the concern about security over a camp wifi when doing financial matters. we have hot spot capability through verizon but that wont help us if coverage is spotty?