Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #57

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Thanks Ray,IN for your help. I think I am over thinking this. I keep thinking I should upgrade my phone to make it a Hot Spot but I don't like the expense for such a short time. We use Verizon. Thanks again Rich
We flew up to the Fairbanks / North Pole area this past Aug. Verizon just started it's network there and had very good reception, both voice and data. They are so new they don't have any stores yet.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #58

Carolina Campers
I plan on this trip, but maybe next year.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #59

Verizon is partnered with ACS (Alaska Communications System).
If you need anything just head to an ACS store they should be able to help you.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #60

The Taylor Highway forks at Jack Wade Junction, Milepost TJ 95.7: the Boundary Spur Road goes east to the Top of the World Highway to Dawson City, YT
The entire road Tok to Dawson 40% paved, 60% gravel.

It is paved from the border to Dawson, the last time we were on it was very thin paving breaking up on the frost heaves still not bad.

On the Tok side the first 60 miles of the Taylor Highway are paved according to my Nephew who lives in Tok. I don't remember that much pavement.

Take your time if there is construction, that seems to be where people have most of their flats. Same goes for the Dalton Hwy. My wife was on the Dalton Hwy last fall three flats all were in the construction areas.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #61

We were in Canada/Alaska for 10 weeks this past summer and went to Dawson City. I fretted over and over about driving the Top of the World road. It had been a light rain coming down for 2 days, we drove to the ferry site to see vehicles coming off and they were all showered in mud up the sides of every vehicle. I finally made the decision not to try it this time because we had many more weeks of our vacation left and didn't want to take the chance of messing up my Motorhome. Even if it was dry I probably wouldn't take it as it's too many miles of washboard road for me. I knew if I drove back to Whitehorse my Motorhome would continue down the road in perfect condition and not rattled apart. I know many people do it and all. When I asked what was so special up there nobody could really give to good enough answer to sway my decision.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #62

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
We were in Canada/Alaska for 10 weeks this past summer and went to Dawson City. I fretted over and over about driving the Top of the World road. It had been a light rain coming down for 2 days, we drove to the ferry site to see vehicles coming off and they were all showered in mud up the sides of every vehicle. I finally made the decision not to try it this time because we had many more weeks of our vacation left and didn't want to take the chance of messing up my Motorhome. Even if it was dry I probably wouldn't take it as it's too many miles of washboard road for me. I knew if I drove back to Whitehorse my Motorhome would continue down the road in perfect condition and not rattled apart. I know many people do it and all. When I asked what was so special up there nobody could really give to good enough answer to sway my decision.
Maybe next time. I was going up this year with friends, they chickened out as well. For their sake we will do the "more comfortable" stuff this year, but I will make the trip as soon as I can. The mud will wash off just like when it gets dirty anywhere else I use it. I'd rather use my RV and take some risk for the greatest memories and fun while I can versus keep it in storage so that it stays pretty...
Old 02-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #63

National RV Owners Club
The reason to do it is because it save many miles of backtracking from Dawson to reconnect with the Alcan. I can see how it would shake up some MH's. It is gravel for much of the road and the condition is variable. I remember being a little grouchy about it the last time I drove it. I always wondered why the State can't seem to manage paving on its side of the border or at least doing some more to keep some of it's bits and pieces in better shape. I can't really picture going all the way up there without taking the trip to Dawson City. It is really one of the highlights of the North. A chance to step back in time.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #64

There is a self wash in Tok, pressure wash.
I agree not much fun rattling around for so many miles so if possible take three day side trip in the toad; I think Dawson is worth the step back in time.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Maybe next time. I was going up this year with friends, they chickened out as well. For their sake we will do the "more comfortable" stuff this year, but I will make the trip as soon as I can. The mud will wash off just like when it gets dirty anywhere else I use it. I'd rather use my RV and take some risk for the greatest memories and fun while I can versus keep it in storage so that it stays pretty...
I didn't say nobody should take It ...I said it was my preference...I never said I kept in storage and didn't use it...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #66

We traveled the TOW in mid to late June of 2011, but from Dawson City to Tok. The ferry was no problem even with the toad attached. The road is paved from DC to the border of Alaska with the usual frost heaves and gravel breaks. It had been raining for over two weeks, so most of the road bed from the border into Chicken(dirt/gravel) was almost nonexistent. Just past the grass airport in Boundry, I had to ride the center crest of the road because we were experiencing wheel spin going up that grade and didn't want to slide off to one side. The trip to Chicken took almost 8 hours from DC.(111 miles) and only saw one 5th wheel, two DPs and a car load of Japanese tourist.

We stayed in Chicken for the night. While fueling up at Chicken Creek RV Park(discount on fuel and a PA CG), the RV lost at least 100 lbs. of mud that fell out of the wheel wells...could not confirm the Jeep's color and we lost one of the RV's mud flaps. Chicken's power is supplied by generator and is 'dirty'...MH didn't like it, so we had to use the genset - They turn off the power somewhere around 8PM anyway to conserve power/fuel. The road is paved just outside of Chicken all the way into Tok(77 mi.) We stayed at Tok RV Village where they had a great pressure washing station. It took a basket full of quarters and a couple of hours to clean up the RV and Jeep.

The TOW hwy. can and sometimes does, live up to Alaska's 'Last Frontier' slogan, but for us, it's was well worth the adventure. I did however, promise 'Squeaky' I'd never mistreat her like that again and treated her to an oil change and lube there in Tok.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #67

I rest my case....
Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #68

We plan on taking this road with our 27 ft TT. It sounds like it could take a long time to travel it. I will travel slow. Question are there a lot of places to pull off safely for a night? It sounds like it could take more than a day. How fast is slow? I am thinking of 20 to 40 mph in second gear. Maybe even 10 mph. A picture of my rig is in my profile. Thanks I sure don't want to break anything.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #69

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydust View Post
We plan on taking this road with our 27 ft TT. It sounds like it could take a long time to travel it. I will travel slow. Question are there a lot of places to pull off safely for a night? It sounds like it could take more than a day. How fast is slow? I am thinking of 20 to 40 mph in second gear. Maybe even 10 mph. A picture of my rig is in my profile. Thanks I sure don't want to break anything.
It isn't that bad. If you leave DC in the morning,you will be through to the other end before nightfall (a bit tongue in cheek given that the sun never sets in summer). I generally found it to be ok with rough or muddy patches thrown in for good measure. Don't try to set any speed records and you should be ok. As for pulling off places. I wasn't specifically looking for them but the last time I went through, there were scores of trucks (hunters) pulled off everywhere. Also, you really are in the wilds so really, there isn't going to be anyone to complain. The best piece of advice I can give you and this comes from first hand exp. Make sure that you have the ability to make tire changes. I came across a car with 4 seniors and a flat the last time I went through. They had a spare but none of them had the strength to undo the lug nuts. I ended up changing the tire for them but the road was pretty quiet and it might have gone less well for them if I hadn't stopped.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #70

Alaska 2014 TOW

There are plenty of places to pull off, just don't make your own road. If it's raining make sure you are on gravel, don't get stuck.
You should be able to make the trip easily in one day. Chicken is a good place to stop we use this as our rest stop.