Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #71

I wish those of you who took that road would post 1-2 of your best pictures. I viewed videos on YouTube but that still couldn't convince me. Guess I was too chicken to drive to Chicken.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #72

I came across Sue's web site while researching the Dawson ferry restrictions.
This site is great with pictures that should wet your appetite. I hope this helps all those that are planning a trip to Dawson/Alaska.

Sue has given permission to post this link to her site and a link to a picture of the sign at the ferry terminal.

Credit Sue for all the great work.
Thank you, Sue
If you enjoy her site please post a comment letting her know how much you enjoy her work.

http://suethomas.ca/images/DawsonCit...nCity_3427.jpg

Yukon Sights - Dawson City, Yukon Territory

Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #73

Thanks Very nice photos
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBradley View Post
I came across Sue's web site while researching the Dawson ferry restrictions.
This site is great with pictures that should wet your appetite. I hope this helps all those that are planning a trip to Dawson/Alaska.

Sue has given permission to post this link to her site and a link to a picture of the sign at the ferry terminal.

Credit Sue for all the great work.
Thank you, Sue
If you enjoy her site please post a comment letting her know how much you enjoy her work.

http://suethomas.ca/images/DawsonCit...nCity_3427.jpg

Yukon Sights - Dawson City, Yukon Territory
I was looking for pictures from the Top of the World road, we drove to Dawson City. Thanks anyway !
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #75

You may have missed it but there are pics of TOW.
Go to Sue's site at the bottom of the list Yukon highways is the Top of the world with pictures.

When the weather is good spring time the rd is great.
It looks a lot different in the winter, we have Snowmachined across it several times.
it was a little cold -40 F one time so Joyce flew back to Tok I almost made it back before she did.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #76

Quote:
You may have missed it but there are pics of TOW.
Go to Sue's site at the bottom of the list Yukon highways is the Top of the world with pictures.

When the weather is good spring time the rd is great.
It looks a lot different in the winter, we have Snowmachined across it several times.
it was a little cold -40 F one time so Joyce flew back to Tok I almost made it back before she did.
My apologies ! I didn't see that before. I found and viewed them . Thanks for pointing me in the right direction !
Old 02-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #77

No problem, have fun.
We will be in Utah in May hoping to beat the heat.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #78

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sue's, what a great research site for all of the Yukon and Alaska areas...Gives you a first hand prospective of the types Roads, Road conditions, Campgrounds. You can use it as a reference to places to visit or places to avoid.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We departed on 3/11 for our trip to Alaska. We are taking the long way there, currently in Arkansas until Saturday morning.
Lightseekers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi!
There sure is a lot of great information on this post and most of it is good.

We were there in 2010 with a motorhome and a toad on a dolly and had no problems at all.

THe one thing I will say is stay off Top of the World Highway with an RV. Either leave Rv in TOK and take toad or drive up to Dawson City and see the sights then go back the same way you came in and tale Alcan to TOK. THere is nothing to see in Chicken except 4 stores and a gas station who charges too much money for gas.

Anchorage is not RV Friendly and there are only 3 campgrounds there plus thy won't let you park in Walmart overnight. One CG is by RR tracks and yard, the other is apparently sleezy and was told you are lucky if you leave with 4 tires. The last one is across the street from Costco, is expensive and they have you in like sardines. You can't even find a parking spot to get to visitor center in Anchorage with your RV.

Milepost is a must and the rver who is going to drive up and drive back don't waste your money as there is a lot to see after you cross the border like Icefields parkway, Lake Louise, Banff, etc. Take your time and enjoy it and above all do some fishing as nothing like fresh Salmon or Halibut.

We took 3 months and drove 11,361 miles round trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 AM   #81

To be honest I never thought anyone would camp in Anchorage with so many great places to see. Living here we just forget that people might actually come to town.

Try this link it will help get you thinking about places to see/stay. There are many more place to stay, most land is owned by the state or BLM, many boondocking sites.

Camping in Alaska

Circle of Discovery
The Circle of Discovery begins the moment you enter Alaska. Assuming you're entering from the Alaska Highway, the route takes you through miles of rolling tundra dotted with beautiful lakes and meandering streams.
Choosing your route around Alaska really isn't as difficult as it could be.
Alaska Highway - 110 miles - Beaver Creek Yukon to Tok Alaska.
Denali Highway - 133 miles - Paxson to Cantwell
Parks Highway - 324 miles - Anchorage to Fairbanks
Glenn Highway - 328 miles - Anchorage to Tok
Richardson Highway - 211 miles - Glennallen to Fairbanks
Richardson Highway - 113 miles - Valdez to Glennallen
Taylor Highway - 96 miles - Tetlin Junction to Jack Wade Junction
The Taylor Highway continues another 79 miles from Jack Wade Junction to Dawson City Yukon. At this point the road is known as the Top of the World Highway.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #82

We drove 11,500 on our 2013 trip and by not taking the TOW highway I don't feel we missed a thing by avoiding that 80 mile stretch, pictures of it and stories of Chicken didn't make me feel any different but that's just me everyone has their own agenda . I got lucky in Anchorage because my cousin lives there and has a huge garage I parked my Motorhome inside and he owns a boat so we got to fish with him out of Seward. Also his son has his pilots license and Ceesna so I got to fly north from Anchorage about 50 miles back up a huge canyon full of glaciers.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #83

We are currently in Arizona and plan to work our way up to Alaska this year. Plans are loose and we will move north when weather looks good.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #84

Quote:
To be honest I never thought anyone would camp in Anchorage with so many great places to see. Living here we just forget that people might actually come to town.

Try this link it will help get you thinking about places to see/stay. There are many more place to stay, most land is owned by the state or BLM, many boondocking sites.

Camping in Alaska

Circle of Discovery
The Circle of Discovery begins the moment you enter Alaska. Assuming you're entering from the Alaska Highway, the route takes you through miles of rolling tundra dotted with beautiful lakes and meandering streams.
Choosing your route around Alaska really isn't as difficult as it could be.
Alaska Highway - 110 miles - Beaver Creek Yukon to Tok Alaska.
Denali Highway - 133 miles - Paxson to Cantwell
Parks Highway - 324 miles - Anchorage to Fairbanks
Glenn Highway - 328 miles - Anchorage to Tok
Richardson Highway - 211 miles - Glennallen to Fairbanks
Richardson Highway - 113 miles - Valdez to Glennallen
Taylor Highway - 96 miles - Tetlin Junction to Jack Wade Junction
The Taylor Highway continues another 79 miles from Jack Wade Junction to Dawson City Yukon. At this point the road is known as the Top of the World Highway.
Thanks for the post. We drove all those highways in 2012 with our dually and 40' 5er. Top of the World is not difficult if one drives slow, pays attention to the road-and advice from locals in Tok or Dawson. We plan to repeat the trip in our MH within a few years it was so enjoyable.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote