Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #85

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are 2 days out from Grand Canyon, we should be there on Thursday for 3 days. Then we go into Utah to visit Arches, Bryce and other parks before heading to Vegas for couple of days. We are having a great time, except for the strong winds we have been driving through the last four days.

Lightseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightseekers View Post
We are 2 days out from Grand Canyon, we should be there on Thursday for 3 days. Then we go into Utah to visit Arches, Bryce and other parks before heading to Vegas for couple of days. We are having a great time, except for the strong winds we have been driving through the last four days.
Sounds like you are a little east of us...we left Grand Canyon Railway park and spent a night in Kingman. We are west of Vegas and plan to spend the week around Death Valley. Winds yesterday were horrible. We decided to bypass Utah for now since it's colder there and we have already been a few times.

Not quite sure where we head from here...weather dictates most of our decisions these days. But...Alaska will be the ultimate goal...

Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Sounds like you are a little east of us...we left Grand Canyon Railway park and spent a night in Kingman. We are west of Vegas and plan to spend the week around Death Valley. Winds yesterday were horrible. We decided to bypass Utah for now since it's colder there and we have already been a few times. Not quite sure where we head from here...weather dictates most of our decisions these days. But...Alaska will be the ultimate goal...
If you have a 4 x 4 a trip thru Titus Canyon at Death Valley is well worth the trip. 26 mile one way road. Beautiful. There is a company that rents Jeeps at Furnace Creek Resort. The Racetrack & Scotties Castle neat too
Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #88

ChallengerRN, we made the trip to Titus Canyon today with some friends who had a 4WD truck with a camper top. It was treacherous and there were parts of the drive where we thought we may not quite make it. There were no warning on the road signs or maps, but long vehicles have a tough time with some of those hairpin curves. It was truly an experience to remember...I was very glad to be in the back seat. :-)

Hopefully, there are no roads like that in Alaksa. Scotty's Castle is tomorrow...not sure about Racetrack. It says sharp rocks and heavy duty tires are needed.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
We're off to Alaska and the Yukon this summer with two other couples from Georgia, USA. We're all motor homers.

They both have southern accents and we, as western Canadians have no accents at all, of course.

We've travelled with one of these couples before and so we know we'll enjoy this international experience totally.

I see by our plan (that I didn't create) that we are going to Chicken.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #90

Chicken is one of those places that you can say "I've been there". After you have been there you might say why. Ha

Russell
Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #91

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We arrived at the Grand Canyon today. We will be here for 3 days and then we head towards Utah for a week or two. Then Vegas for a couple of days then we go to San Diego for our slow trip up the coast.
Lightseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightseekers View Post
We arrived at the Grand Canyon today. We will be here for 3 days and then we head towards Utah for a week or two. Then Vegas for a couple of days then we go to San Diego for our slow trip up the coast.
In a month we'll almost be following in your tracks traveling up the coast of California after hitting San Diego and Disneyland (haven't been there since 1956 when I was 1 year old : ).

We have been so busy the last couple months that this trip will be made without very much planning. Fiver and truck are in good shape so we'll figure it out as we go. CG availability along the CA coast is the only area where I'm experiencing slight apprehension but we picked up a good CA camping guidebook which might help.

Enjoy your trip Lightseekers !
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJ6165 View Post
Curious how much the ferry cost?
about 3900.00
Old 03-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #94

I've read a few comments about taking an RV to Alaska and from what I've got so far is "don't do it with an RV". The problem is a lot of ferry expense that can make it costly and waiting for a ferry very time consuming. It was suggested getting on a cruise ship with the comforts of home was the best and easiest way to see Alaska. Lots of shore excursions available. Don't know any more that that. I've never tried it and it doesn't look like I ever will. I been in the other 49 states and would like to make it 50 but maybe on a cruise ship. If you want more info on RVing to Alaska you might do a Google search or a Bing search
Old 03-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #95

Wow KT4Wextra: You've been reading the wrong 'few comments'. There are many ways to get to Alaska but the best, in our opinion, is driving there. There is so much beauty in Canada and the Yukon even before you get to Alaska. The roads are all paved and there will be summer repair areas just like in the lower 48. We've had no vehicle damage. It's a gorgeous trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
I've read a few comments about taking an RV to Alaska and from what I've got so far is "don't do it with an RV". The problem is a lot of ferry expense that can make it costly and waiting for a ferry very time consuming. It was suggested getting on a cruise ship with the comforts of home was the best and easiest way to see Alaska. Lots of shore excursions available. Don't know any more that that. I've never tried it and it doesn't look like I ever will. I been in the other 49 states and would like to make it 50 but maybe on a cruise ship. If you want more info on RVing to Alaska you might do a Google search or a Bing search
You don't need to take the Ferry to AK but if you do, you can easily make reservations which means zero waiting. We were going to take the Ferry back on our 2014 trip but decided to drive both ways instead. It's all about the journey. Cruise ships are for some people but I'm lucky to be able to pilot my own fifth wheel "cruise ship" and take her wherever we want. And I guarantee our shore excursions (and my wife's cooking) will beat any of the cruise ships. In 2008 we were camping on the Kenai river and sitting on lounge chairs by the riverbank. Across the river I noticed a Moose and then her two baby moose emerge from the brush. A few minutes later a very large grizzly appeared and then the show started. Mama got the babies to run up a hill while she engaged the Grizzly and eventually ran off to join her babies. Grizzly was mad stomping around after.

While staying at Quartz Lake cg around Coopers Landing AK a couple camping next to us had their Piper Cub Seaplane anchored in the lake. He was an Eastern Airlines pilot from Wasilla. We got to be friendly with them and ended doing a couple trips in the Seaplane which was amazing.

Another option if you aren't the type to drive to Alaska is you could fly to Anchorage and rent an RV. That will get you hooked for sure. We did that for 3 weeks in 2008 and it was our best trip ever. We vowed to return home, buy an RV and someday drive the Alaskan Hwy to get there. And that someday is coming up in about a month

And of course, I understand most people need to take a cruise ship in order to see AK. It is a long drive and intimidating to some.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
My only comment to this is. If you own an RV you already know it is costly & expensive.

I ve been to Alaska and hope to be able to drive there someday. Was at our local pizza shop last night and was talking to an old friend. He said he has driven it 27 times. He said he loves to fly but would always drive that trip because of the beauty on the way. He was a welder on the pipeline when it was put in originally.

Russell
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #98

When we took our RV to Alaska a few years ago we had our Satellite Phone. Cell service is really only available around populated areas, albeit if one sticks to the main routes, it does not take long before someone comes by to help. For the most part I was the helper, either using my skills and extensive tool kit to troubleshoot issues and sometimes do a fix or just phoning for help. I used my Satphone and called for support for others when required. It gave great peace of mind knowing we had solid communication capability as required.

IMHO, a Satphone is a worthwhile addition to any trip in the wilderness, however other less expensive satellite communication options are now available.