Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #113
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Was thinking about doing this on the way up, maybe about June 5th or so. Now I'm thinking there may still be snow around...or too cold. What was your reason to do this on the return trip? I'm assuming in August.

I also know mountainous areas tend to have more mosquitoes and bugs more often in May and June.
We had not even discussed Jasper area until we were on our return trip out of Alaska and had arrived in Steward/Hyder. Someone had mentioned it to us, so we decided to go there. We always tried to be flexible with our trip and open to changes. More fun deciding each day what direction to go and where to stop. We all had a general idea of what to do, but definitely did not have a fixed daily schedule like some people do. Sure glad we did Jasper even if it was crowded.

2006 Travel Supreme Select 45DL24
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 35" tires, 4" lift
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #114
We are still "heading to Alaska". Currently, spending a couple of weeks at Park of the Sierras in Coarsegold, CA. We plan to visit Yosemite this week when the snow stops. :-)

Next, we will head over to San Francisco to visit an old friend for a day or so, then on up the coast if weather, earthquakes, and mudslides all permit.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #115
I live in Fairbanks and have for 40 years. I retired 6 years ago and have driven my 32 foot Forest River class A to SC and back to Fairbanks 4 times. I currently have a 40 foot Holiday Rambler sitting in Iowa and we will fly back there in May to pick it up and drive it back to Alaska. I particularly enjoy the drive once you are about 100 miles north of Dawson Creek BC as you are then back into the north country and less traffic. There is a lot of natural gas stuff going on for a couple of hours drive north of Dawson Creek and lots of pickups and big specialty gas field rigs moving back and forth but once you are past that it is a slow paced fun drive to enjoy your vacation.
There is always a lot of road repair as the permafrost damages the road causing some major frost heaves which will test your suspension on the RV. Take your time and enjoy. You will see lots of bears both grizzly and black bears especially if you travel in the evening hours. You will probably see caribou, stone sheep and possibly some elk north of Whitehorse Yukon. There is always a herd of wild bison on the road near Liard Hot Springs and they are used to traffic and will not be in any hurry to move out of your way. Liard Hot Springs has a park with RV spaces with no dump site and across the road there is a big parking area free of cost. The hot spring can be a welcome stop for a soak so bring along bathing suits, We usually stay in parking lots of Walmarts or Canadian Tire when we are at a town otherwise we stay in roadside pullouts or in provincial parks. There are often dump stations in every town as there is a lot of RV traffic in the summertime. These are usually free of cost but be prepared to pay for fuel when in BC and the Yukon. We paid equivalent to nearly $6 per gallon for regular gasoline last fall and I know it will be higher for diesel now. Ironically in Edmonton Alberta diesel is cheaper than regular gas. If you are coming from Alberta just before you leave Alberta and entering BC a few miles south of Dawson Creek the fuel is much cheaper than anywhere else until you get to Alaska.
Last spring when my wife and I returned to Alaska we traveled in the evening hours and we saw 30 bears along the road feeding on spring grass which included 3 grizzlies.
By all means spend a few dollars and buy the Milepost Magazine as it will give you much history of the road and it will tell you what to expect down the road ahead of you. My wife reads it aloud as we travel making it interesting.
We are reverse snowbirds as we drive out in the fall and do the lower 48 stuff then we park the RV at one of the family farms in Iowa and fly back home for the winter. Living in Fairbanks you must have someone in your house in case of a boiler malfunction or a power outage. At 40-50 below zero you don't have long before thing will freeze up in the house when you have no heat. Finding a reliable house sitter can be a real pain. Besides I love to snowmobile into some remote lakes in the winter with a couple of friends to rent a cabin and ice fish for lake trout or northern pike.
The Walmart and Sam's Club in Fairbanks does allow overnight camping and there are also paid campgrounds. There are a couple of gas stations that have free holding tank dumps in town and Pioneer Park in downtown has a convenient place to fill your tanks with potable water but no dump site there.

Enjoy Alaska we love sharing experiences with visitors.
Terry Sacora
Akcontender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #116
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, we flew up last Aug. to the North Pole area to visit family there. Spent 20 days enjoying the record warmth. I made it a point to tell them I was eyeing up a spot in their driveway for my RV when I retire in two years. (summer of 2016). We spent a good deal of time picking berries those days. The fire breaks in the hills north of Fairbanks were loaded with mountain blueberries. Just want to remind everyone that the Visitor Center in Fairbanks was very well stocked with maps and information. The volunteers were very knowledgeable about their state. Here is a link to some pics. Alaska 2013 (August)

Alaska 2008 pics
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #117
40 years, short timer try 62 (I cheat I was born in Anchorage). I can't handle the cold in Fairbanks, brrrrr. Now Fairbanks in the summer that is a different story a little hot.

Thanks for entering the conversation hopefully Alaskan's can save our visitors a little pain learning from our experiences.
AKBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #118

Originally Posted by jmsrbrt View Post
Well this is our first attempt, and we're shooting for late summer (late July or early August) but right now it's in the planning stages. Waiting for my Milepost to arrive and all of the literature I sent off for. So far my biggest concern is having most of the RV parks closed about mid September, and the long 2,000 mile journey from border to border (USA-Canada-Yukon-Alaska). Sure would love to hear from an experienced traveler.
We are not really experienced travelers, but spent the month of July 2013 in Alaska in a rented motorhome before we purchased our own coach. It was truly the trip of a lifetime, and would do it all again at the mere suggestion. We had no RV park reservations and had absolutely no trouble finding places to stay. Many places will allow you to pull in for the night and the cost is nearly nothng. We did that serveral nights each week. Makes sure to see Denali but don't expect to see Mt. McKinley because it mostly stays fogged in. The drive south from Fairbanks through Santa Claus is a beautiful drive. It snakes along the pipeline and the scenry in beyond comprehension. We also time on the Kenai and down to Homer and Seward. All named placed were definitely "do again" places when we go back. From Homer, take the ferry over to Seldova. The views are incredible. Enjoy your trip!! I'm jealous and want to go back.
bwaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #119
I always drive my RV out of Alaska in late September or early October but be aware that you can get into some pretty serious snow at that time mostly in the mountains. I have been lucky as we have had up to two feet of snow fall just behind us in Whitehorse Yukon missing us by a day. There are numerous grades in the Yukon and in British Columbia that have signs warning chains must be worn beyond this point. My previous rig didn't have clearance for chains so that could have been bad but I never experienced any snow.
I think the provincial parks close on September 30th but there are campgrounds in Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Fort Saint John, Watson Lake and Whitehorse that are still open at that time. There are a multitude of wide pull outs that you can stay overnight at any time of the year. Most service stations are closed by then and they place barricades across their driveways but there are plenty that stay open later in the year but a good rule of thumb would be to ask when you fuel up how far it is until you can get fuel again. Mostly fuel isn't a problem with an RV as they have a large enough tank to easily get to a town with fuel anyway.
Remember that you will be traveling in a foreign country and firearms laws are strict there. Long guns are no problem but you have to buy a $25 permit to take one through Canada and the permit is good for 30 days. I'd suggest printing the form online in advance and going through customs should be a breeze.You will pay the $25 fee at Canadian Customs after they copy the firearms form that you have previously filled out. This is easier than standing there doing it at their counter. Absolutely don't take a handgun into Canada as they won't allow them. It is possible to get a permit for one but I don't know what the criteria is but I was told at customs that Canada doesn't consider personal defense as an option.
Fresh fruit is a no no and if they enter your coach they will confiscate your fruit, probably because they like it too. We forgot that one time and they kept our oranges and left our apples in the fridge. I guess they had a preference for oranges for lunch that day.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #120
Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled to Alaska in 2012 after many months of planing. Here is a copy of a post we put on this site, this may help in your planning.

We traveled form NY to Alaska and back in 4 plus months and 14K miles in 2012. Went across the northern US RT90. Turned north at Glacier Park thru the Canadian Rockies and onto the Alaska Highway up to Fairbanks. Took a plane ride thru Denali National Park and landed on a Eldridge Glacier. The Plane ride was one of two reservations made. The other was at Tutka Bay Lodge across the bay form Homer, Ak.; where my wife and grandsons participated in the cooking school. Tuned south and traveled on a Ferry on the Inter Coastal Waterway form Haines to Juneao, Sitka, Ketchikan, and back to Canada at Prince Rupert. Then down to Seattle, Columbia River Gorge, Yellowstone, Cody, and down to Denver, Pikes Peak and back home to NY.

We created a blog of the entire trip starting in May 2012, we entered Canada in June:

We planed our trip using RV adventure Videos. These proved to be the most informative on roads, campgrounds, restaurants, interesting sights, and activities along the way. These are videos we used : "Alaska; RV adventure of a life time", "RVing Alaska", "The Great Rocky Mountain Adventure Glacier Park and Canadian Rockies", and " Alaska Inside Passage". See their web site: RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions: http://www.rvadventurevideos.com/

We also watched the videos as we traveled to make sure we captured all the sights.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE.
2004 Meridian, 2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Airforce one
FMCA 403779
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #121
Forest River Owners Club
TOW isn't for the faint of heart.... Usually in poor condition and will give your rig a work over.... Chicken is a blast to visit - pan god some gold and pay for your trip.... lol....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #122
Does anyone have any experience using "Hotspot Shield VPN" traveling through Canada to Alaska? My understanding is that it would make it possible to use the Public wifi locations without the risk of being hacked?
tom2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #123
Hello I am a lifelong Alaska and own a Thor Ace 29.2. We camp 16-20 times a year in AK. If you would like any local "hotspots" just let me know. Quite a few campgrounds with nice RV sites and few people, mostly dry camping but are awesome.

Kkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #124
A friend of mine just arrived home yesterday after driving his new RV back from Seattle; Road report 75 miles of bad road, he says it is the road is in great condition.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #125
Update Bad road begins at Destruction Bay.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #126
Destruction Bay to the Alaska border is about 140 miles. I last drove that stretch last fall and I concur that it is very rough with big frost heaves. Drive slowly to avoid suspension damage as some of those heaves will test your suspension to the limit if you hit them with any speed at all.