Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #225
RV8

Alaska 2014

Sorry to hear that the campground at North Pole's Santa Land is closed. It was a nice place to stop with young grand kids in tow.

Mukluk Annie's was open on our way to AK in May 2008. Had a great meal there. By the time we were returning in Sept 2008, it was temporarily closed. A great disappointment. Too bad they couldn't carry on the tradition.
RV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #226

You can still visit Santa's North Pole.......the whole building is the same as when we visited back in '08....I only saw 3 raindeer this trip.....use to be a whole bunch. But still a nice place to bring the kids.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #227

We are at Fast Eddy's once for their Friday prime rib special and once for breakfast. Good food but very expensive.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #228

Talking Places to stay in Fairbanks

I wanted to say I am currently staying at one of the nicest campgrounds and a hidden gem. Lifelong Alaskan who travels all over the road system for work staying in my 2013 ACE 29.2. I showed up in Fairbanks late last night and went to rivers edge it was crammed packed and close together sites. I pulled out immediately and happened upon Chena wayside it is 2 miles from rivers edge so nice sites are well treed far apart come with a table and huge parking. $20 for dry $30 for hook ups. To have a campground of this caliber with hook ups is amazing. Don't try to call ahead just drive in it's about half full tonight. It is state campground with great hosts but like I said if you call you get a service from lower 48 who don't communicate well with the host.

You will not be disappointed lots of trails, parkland and you can walk to Fred Meyers in 10 mins.

Hope others give it a try as I never would have unless I happened to drive by.

Kevin
Kkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #229

Monaco Owners Club
Kkuper,

That sounds pretty nice. Do you think they can fit a 44 ft MH?
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #230

Yes they have plenty of room and room for toad also.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #231

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is official, the wife and I are heading north Sunday morning (6/29/14). Bit of a late start but things happened to slow us down. We flew into AK in 2005 and August was superb so hope this trip is going to be close to as nice weather wise. We will be back home in TN by middle of Sept.

No hurry, taking our time on this one!

burfurd

PS: Forgot to mention, we didn't want to drive the class A so purchased a 21' pull trailer to tow behind our '05 GMC Duramax.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #232

64 degrees and sunny when we arrived in Seward yesterday. Watched an awesome display of seamanship and power as the cruise ship departed last night. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403991282.223648.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	716.5 KB
ID:	66347

Dennis (Retired USAF & UPS) & Linda (Retired UPS)
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B and homes in Anchorage AK & Bullhead City AZ
djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #233

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc454 View Post
64 degrees and sunny when we arrived in Seward yesterday. Watched an awesome display of seamanship and power as the cruise ship departed last night. Attachment 66347

Dennis (Retired USAF & UPS) & Linda (Retired UPS)
2014 Winnebago Journey 34B and homes in Anchorage AK & Bullhead City AZ
That's the boat we were on for our cruise last year. Fantastic tours and great crews.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #234

National RV Owners Club
We were in Dawson City a couple of nights ago and crossed the Top of the World highway yesterday and overnighted in Chicken. The road was OK depending on your version of OK. There were several streches were I drove between 15 and 25 mph. I also waved a couple of 5th wheels and motor homes to pass me since they appeared to want to go faster than I did. As mentioned in other posts there are bad parts of the road and to me going slow is a good option. There are some very dry dusty parts of that road but some that were watered down and muddy. I don't think it is as bad as some have described it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #235

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkuper View Post
I wanted to say I am currently staying at one of the nicest campgrounds and a hidden gem. Lifelong Alaskan who travels all over the road system for work staying in my 2013 ACE 29.2. I showed up in Fairbanks late last night and went to rivers edge it was crammed packed and close together sites. I pulled out immediately and happened upon Chena wayside it is 2 miles from rivers edge so nice sites are well treed far apart come with a table and huge parking. $20 for dry $30 for hook ups. To have a campground of this caliber with hook ups is amazing. Don't try to call ahead just drive in it's about half full tonight. It is state campground with great hosts but like I said if you call you get a service from lower 48 who don't communicate well with the host.

You will not be disappointed lots of trails, parkland and you can walk to Fred Meyers in 10 mins.

Hope others give it a try as I never would have unless I happened to drive by.

Kevin
We spent 4 nights here right in the heart of Fairbanks. Its amazing because when you are in the campground you dont hear the city noises or feel like you are even in a city. Excellent place to stay and priced right too.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #236

Glad to hear I was amazed I love to run and followed Chena River trail for 4 miles each day.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #237

Monaco Owners Club
We have moved further south now to Talkeetna. We are parked at Talkeetna bike rentals. They have a huge gravel parking lot and let RV's park here for $15 a night. No hookups, no nothing but a secure place in the heart of Talkeetna. Very friendly folks and really nice little town. Tomorrow we head further south towards Anchorage.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #238

Winnebago Owners Club
Rockcrawler, Two things to do in Talkeetna. A great restaurant to have dinner, Wildflower. Also take a plane ride through Denali and land on a glacier. See our blog

RVGR8escape

The plane ride through Denali and landing on Eldridge Glacier was a high light of our Alaskan trip!

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote