Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alaska 2014

Anyone going to Alaska in 2014? We are going starting out in mid-March heading for southwest first and then over to San Diego and up the Pacific Coast Highway. BIL will be towing his jeep and we will not have a toad. Thinking about taking the bikes but we are not hard core cyclist, just fun tours. We expect to hit Canada near the end of May. Our thought is to be on the road around six months, but we are totally flexible with time line.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

We are leaving Sioux Falls, SD around May 1st. Dawson Creek by May 15th. Whitehorse by June 1st. Fairbanks for the solstice. Denali before the 4th of July. etc. etc. We will spend the whole summer up there.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We will be leaving Grand Junction, CO around the first of June.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We plan to leave Texas about June 1. Plan to take one month up, one month there and one month back.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #5

Alaska/Yukon/Canada 2014

Well this is our first attempt, and we're shooting for late summer (late July or early August) but right now it's in the planning stages. Waiting for my Milepost to arrive and all of the literature I sent off for. So far my biggest concern is having most of the RV parks closed about mid September, and the long 2,000 mile journey from border to border (USA-Canada-Yukon-Alaska). Sure would love to hear from an experienced traveler.
jmsrbrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Spent 3 months up in Alaska. Caught the marine "ferry" at Prince Rupert and got off at each of the towns on the way up North to Alaska. Stayed a few days and caught the next ferry going North. Final destination was Skagway, and then drove over to WhiteHorse. The Mile Post is a Fantastic resource and the DW would tell me what to expect around the next bend in the frost heaved road. Like having your own tour director on your MH. On the gravel roads slow down and keep to the right when seeing on coming vehicles or stop completely. You don't want to speed into a flying rock. Dangerous to expensive windshields. After a couple of months in and all around Alaska we drove home on the Alcan. Keep your fuel tank full whenever possible as there isn't a lot of fuel stations around when you are low on fuel. ENJOY it is probably the BEST motorhome trip one can take for sure. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Alaska in July/August

We're joining a caravan - 60 days leaving late June from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Spent 3 months up in Alaska. Caught the marine "ferry" at Prince Rupert and got off at each of the towns on the way up North to Alaska. Stayed a few days and caught the next ferry going North. Final destination was Skagway, and then drove over to WhiteHorse. The Mile Post is a Fantastic resource and the DW would tell me what to expect around the next bend in the frost heaved road. Like having your own tour director on your MH. On the gravel roads slow down and keep to the right when seeing on coming vehicles or stop completely. You don't want to speed into a flying rock. Dangerous to expensive windshields. After a couple of months in and all around Alaska we drove home on the Alcan. Keep your fuel tank full whenever possible as there isn't a lot of fuel stations around when you are low on fuel. ENJOY it is probably the BEST motorhome trip one can take for sure. deSanford
Curious how much the ferry cost?
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #9

Use this website to figure out your schedule and rates on the Alaska Marine Highway system.
Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF
Vette4ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #10

In 2007 satisfied one of the things on my bucket list by using my Harley to go to Alaska. Then after retiring we took our motorhome up for the entire summer of 2012. Now were planning on going up again in 2015. I'm not sure if being in Alaska is what I like most, or the journey getting there. I might suggest yiou also get the Church's camping guide, it has a lot of boondocking info. I think we used the Milepost and Church's equally. Man, just take it slow and enjoy everything there is to see. I guarantee your head will be on a swivel...Oh and keep the camera on the dashboard.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #11

It is NOT cheap to travel on the ferry. For example, 2 people with a 25 ft RV from Bellingham, WA to Juneau, AK from June 20-23 is $2593.00. Yes, that is just for one way.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are looking into Alaskan Rv discovery tours June 26th leaving Florida mid May
AceJohn6928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Customs

Be sure to look at the customs websites for both Canada and the USA. There are certain things you cannot take into Canada, and getting back into the lower 48 is the worst crossing of them all. Keep your receipts for everything you buy in Alaska and intend to bring back home, be sure your pets' shots are up to date and you have documentation, and declare everything - everything - when you cross the border. No citrus, no lamb products, keep your pet food in it's original bags with the labels.

Many people have little trouble crossing the borders, many more get searched for hours ...
NukeRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #14

As far as books go, obviously the Milepost and Church's camping guide looks useful, but what about maps/atlas? Should I get the Rand McNally Motor Carriers laminated, spiral bound atlas or stick with a cheap foldable map of the US and Canada?