Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #127

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Any idea what a season (non-resident) fishing license is?
In 2014 mine was $145 non-res fishing plus $100 king salmon stamp. Fun ain't cheap for visitors! But one good day makes it all worthwhile!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #128

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx, on past trips (fly-up) I would get just a 1-7 day (non-res) license as we were only there for 2 weeks. Rving up this summer, I'll get there about the 3rd week in June and leave Labor Day (+ or -).
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Thanx, on past trips (fly-up) I would get just a 1-7 day (non-res) license as we were only there for 2 weeks. Rving up this summer, I'll get there about the 3rd week in June and leave Labor Day (+ or -).
don't pass up some BC fishing. Cheaper license and fishing is just as good. I spent 3 weeks in BC the last time up. It will be a shorter time in BC this year.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #130

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We do plan 3 weeks to travel from OH. to Fairbanks. Alcan up, Cassier down. Since this will be our first RVing trip up, I'm using it as a more exploratory trip, taking notes for future trips. I do have two kayaks I plan on putting to good use.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #131

Since you only have 3 weeks, I might consider not going to Fairbanks. That's quite a haul burning up a lot of time. Definitely do Denali, spend time on the Kenai, do a glacier boat trip. You say 3rd week of June, that'll be too early for the Salmon runs. They usually start about mid July. You should also see Seward & Valdez, and coming down the Cassier stop at Stewart/Hyder to watch the bears at stinky creek. I highly recommend a run up to Salmon Glacier from Hyder. It's spectacular to be high above a glacier without having to use a plane. There's so much to see & experience that it would be hard to do in just 3 weeks counting in travel time. You won't be able to sail along at 60mph once you get into Northern B.C. & the Yukon because of frost heaves. There we're some days we only did 180-200 miles just because it was too beautiful not to stop. We would boondock along a river or lake just to take it all in. It's a place not to be in a big hurry. It will definitely get into your blood. We've been 3 times and still haven't seen everything there is to see & do.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #132

We rented an RV and drove from Chicago to Alaska and back in 30 days during July 2015.

I posted on a blog at the time.

Adventures Upp North
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #133

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
We rented an RV and drove from Chicago to Alaska and back in 30 days during July 2015.

I posted on a blog at the time.

Adventures Upp North
Very cool!...not your average class C either!..that's the way to rent!....
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Since you only have 3 weeks, I might consider not going to Fairbanks. That's quite a haul burning up a lot of time. Definitely do Denali, spend time on the Kenai, do a glacier boat trip. You say 3rd week of June, that'll be too early for the Salmon runs. They usually start about mid July. You should also see Seward & Valdez, and coming down the Cassier stop at Stewart/Hyder to watch the bears at stinky creek. I highly recommend a run up to Salmon Glacier from Hyder. It's spectacular to be high above a glacier without having to use a plane. There's so much to see & experience that it would be hard to do in just 3 weeks counting in travel time. You won't be able to sail along at 60mph once you get into Northern B.C. & the Yukon because of frost heaves. There we're some days we only did 180-200 miles just because it was too beautiful not to stop. We would boondock along a river or lake just to take it all in. It's a place not to be in a big hurry. It will definitely get into your blood. We've been 3 times and still haven't seen everything there is to see & do.
I have lived in Alaska all my life (64 years), I'm a pilot, and I haven't even scratch the surface of things to see or do. Don't try to do it all in one trip pick unique things
to do. You can stay on the road system and have a great adveture but try a couple of flyin adventure as special treats, Brooks camp for Brown bear watching, one day trip about $650 each last yr. but the bears are right there. Lake Creek for fishing sometimes fishing with the bears. Flight seeing out of Homer or Seward. You can't do it all but no matter what you do you will be talking about it for years.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:11 AM   #135

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just got from Amazon, my 2016 Milepost, Terry & Mike Church Ak. camping book, AK. Gazetteer, gold panning kit, and a 50" gold sluice....My son is super excited about trying it...He thinks were driving all the way to Nome to pan for gold...I can't get it across to him...You can't drive to Nome....period....They are making a road to Tanana with the hope in the future to continue the road to Nome....That is a long way off.

Also just reserved a 3 night stay in Denali at the Tek campground yesterday.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
I have lived in Alaska all my life (64 years), I'm a pilot, and I haven't even scratch the surface of things to see or do. Don't try to do it all in one trip pick unique things
to do. You can stay on the road system and have a great adveture but try a couple of flyin adventure as special treats, Brooks camp for Brown bear watching, one day trip about $650 each last yr. but the bears are right there. Lake Creek for fishing sometimes fishing with the bears. Flight seeing out of Homer or Seward. You can't do it all but no matter what you do you will be talking about it for years.
Couldn't agree with you more! We made the trip in '15 over a 10 week period. Had a wonderful fly-in bear watching trip to Lake Clark NP with Homer Air, and did a flight-seeing tour the next day. Just great. And we can't stop talking about our trip and planning the next one!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #137

National RV Owners Club
We are heading to Alaska the end of April. Will be taking the East Access Route to the Alaska Highway. Plan to be in Dawson Creek on May 1st. We will leave Alaska mid September heading back to the lower forty-eight by way of Homer and Vancouver.
bbbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #138

May 1 might be a couple weeks early to be in Dawson Creek. You'll find some things still closed and depending on the weather, ice can still be on the lakes.

Also, fuel will be higher in Canada so I'd recommend you stay in the lower 48 as long as you can and then head north.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 AM   #139

Yep, I agree. We ran into a pretty good snow storm outside Destruction Bay, Yukon Terr. on May 30th one year. Kluane Lake had a lot of ice as did quite a few rivers we saw. But it was beautiful. Especially the Wrangell's and Mt. Sanford after the freshly fallen snow.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
I have done three trips to Alaska and back in the past 6 years, one in 2010, 2012 and 2015. I have always gotten to either Fairbanks or Anchorage by the middle of May and left between September 15 - 21st.

I scheduled it that way so I can spend two months with each of my sons living there.

I drove in some snow on the 2012 trip up to Alaska after leaving Haines Junction heading for Kulane Lake. By the time we got to Kulane Lake we had driven out of the snow. All of the other trips were perfect weather. So if going early or leaving late just be prepared for what might happen.

When you are confronted with bad weather just pull off the road in a safe place and wait it out.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote