Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbarker View Post
We are heading to Alaska the end of April. Will be taking the East Access Route to the Alaska Highway. Plan to be in Dawson Creek on May 1st. We will leave Alaska mid September heading back to the lower forty-eight by way of Homer and Vancouver.
We'll be right behind you Joyce and I are crossing at Sweetgrass May 1, we are planning 10 days of leisurely travel in Canada but then we are just heading home. I watched the weather this winter along the route Whitehorse seemed mild, my nephew lives in Tok they had a very mild winter. I expect ice on the lakes and rivers, ice ion the road in the mornings and any place the sun doesn't hit the road. Take your time you should be fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #142

National RV Owners Club
Thanks S Bradley. I am thinking the same about the weather this winter. I like ice on lakes and rivers and sure like avoiding traffic. Thinking we might also see more wildlife before all the other RVers hit the road.

Safe travels to you and Joyce.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #143

Monaco Owners Club
I have found in my past travels to Alaska in the early spring that the best wildlife viewing corridor is through the Northern British Columbia area into the southern borders of Yukon while on the Alaskan Highway.

The Cassier Highway has been good too but the variety of wildlife wasn't as diverse, mostly black bear and some moose. Whereas the Alaskan Highway in British Columbia we got to see Elk, Caribou, Grizzlies, black bear, big horn sheep and of course bison.

We were disappointed the last trip up when we stopped at Liard Hot Springs PP to use the hot springs only to find that the trail had just been closed down to a bear encounter on the trail. It wouldn't open for three days so we left the next morning.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #144

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We plan to leave in late May, and take 3 weeks to reach my sis-n-law in North Pole AK. But since I'll be retiring in 29 more work days, I'll have no place to go and all day to get there.

The only reservation I made was inside Denali (Tek) NP. in mid July for 3 nights. I may have to make one a few days before we arrive in Banff at Tunnel Mtn. campground. Since they were re-modeling the gondola there they took over / closed a 100 campsites to stage construction equipment.

? Outside of Jasper there are two large government campgrounds, will I have an issue getting a site there. It will be around June 5th. Plan to stay there two nights.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #145

If you're asking about Whistler's campground outside of Jasper, you should be o.k. June 5 without reservations. Even in August we've seen sites open. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #146

Looking at my last years notes, we arrived at Whistlers Campground June 1 around noon without reservations and no problem getting a site for 3 nights. We spent some time in town and when we returned around 4 p.m. there was a very long line of campers at the entrance. It is a very large campground but never seemed crowded.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #147

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
If you're asking about Whistler's campground outside of Jasper, you should be o.k. June 5 without reservations. Even in August we've seen sites open. Have a good trip!
Thanx...Also across the road from Whistler campground there near Jasper is the Wapiti government campground. Is that just another large campground to handle the masses? Any difference?

One other question....Trying to figure this out. I notice Banff campgrounds and I think Whistler's has a "campfire permit fee" Your not going to tell me you have to purchase a "permit" to have a campfire?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #148

I am starting a new thread to locate Petro-Diesel, please help; go to the Sprinter Chassis Forum.

iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Help Locate PETRO-DIESEL

We will all be traveling soon, if I can get a little help from everyone we may be able to compile a good list.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #149

Monaco Owners Club
This Petro-Canada web site is your best bet for finding stations with diesel. They also have an app if you are a smartphone user.

Petro-Canada

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
We had an easier time finding diesel in Canada on the way to Alaska, than we ever have in the U.S. That may not help if all you're interested in is Petro-Canada brand diesel, but it was a pleasant surprise for us.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
This Petro-Canada web site is your best bet for finding stations with diesel. They also have an app if you are a smartphone user.

Petro-Canada

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks app is on the phone
Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #152

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Here is a link to the Canadian Gasbuddy's map. It shows many stations except the ones in the Yukon. Myself I have reported over 20,000 gas prices over the last 5 years in my US travels. When we start our trip to AK. I'll try to report prices as we go. One thing I can see was Fort St. John on the Alcan seemed to always have the highest prices. Many of the stations show up, but no prices are listed. ?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #153

I agree, we typically fill at all major communities. We have never had an issue finding fuel.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #154

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Still advisable to carry an extra 5 gallon container? I figure at 11 mpg that "could" get me 55 miles if need be. Motorhomes typically have 75 -100 gallon fuel tanks, thus 500-750 mile range. Where I'm at about 250 + or -. 26' tt and a Toyota Tundra (5.7L)