Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #169

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I know the information about some campgrounds not taking credit cards were places in the lower budget type and not the resort style ones.

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #170

We crossed at Sweetgrass on a Sunday and spend the night at a nice campground in Granum, Alberta (PPA but not on Sunday) and no bank that we could find. We went to fuel up at the only fuel station around (think old time pumps). They did not accept credit cards but took cash and debit cards. Well, we have debit cards and thought all was good until we filled up and went to pay and the debit card would not work. This was a bank issue not the fuel station. We had US dollars back at the RV so the fuel station allowed us to leave and go back to to the campground for cash which they accepted willingly. We were thankful that they would do this and that they trusted us enough to return.

Where in the US have you found a business that will accept foreign currency but Canadian business do it without a problem most of the time. If one does not get the proper currency, then one should not worry about conversion rates. When we returned after paying, our American camping neighbor traded his Canadian currency for US dollars with us as they were returning to the lower 48. Whenever we did not have the proper change at self past campgrounds in Canada, we used US dollars, thankful that they would accept that. No gripe here about the exchange rate.

And we found Canadians very friendly, even thanking my husband and I for our US military service.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Where in the US have you found a business that will accept foreign currency but Canadian business do it without a problem most of the time. No gripe here about the exchange rate.
I bet you ask to pay a U.S. business in a currency that is valued 29% more than U.S. dollar they will be very happy to take all you want to give them. At today's closing the exchange is $1 U.S. to $1.2898 CDN. Yes Canadians are wonderful people and happy to accept dollars at par.

An example for a Canadian trip I will do this summer for 60 days. I made ferry reservations R/T from Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. The ferry rate was $1856 CDN but I paid $1335 U.S., a nice 28% = $520 savings. Paying 28% extra for everything adds up quick. Get your CDN from a bank and pay a small exchange fee and enjoy the cheaper travel. Last night or two in Canada go to a bank with remaining CDN and get dollars back. Check your credit card and if needed get one that allows no charge exchange for purchases.
Exchange rate floats daily but rare to make large change in short period of time. Start enjoying Canada for 25-30% less.

Canadian Maritimes Provinces 2016 and Alaska 2017, and excited.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #172

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Yes, definitely change some currency when you enter Canada, especially if you plan to use the great Provincial or Yukon campgrounds. We did $300 which was $100 too much for us. What we had left was dropped in the donation box at Glacier Nat'l Park when we returned.
I think that is what we'll do when we enter at Sweetgrass MT. Looks like Lethbridge is the next largest town in Alberta before we swing west / north up route 22 to avoid Calgary. Maybe exchange some US for Loonie's & Toonies Are Toonies the $2 coin? We would like to leave Ohio on a Sunday or Monday to avoid Chicago's never ending traffic and construction. Hope 4 days to get to Canada
Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #173

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Dan. We had no problems using a credit card (Visa) for fuel or groceries anywhere we stopped in Canada. Only a few places accepted Discover Card (our normal use), but Visa was accepted everywhere. We had to visit a bank a couple times to get CD, but that was usually a non-event.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #174

Hey folks, you're not going to the moon. This is a fairly civilized part of the world. We have Gas, Diesel and in most cases, even food. Most of us even speak your language.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Yes, good in-tell.

Over the weekend I spend hours reading thru this blog from a couple who traveled to AK. last summer. One recurring theme was the lack, let me quote "(Canadian) proprietors acting dumb and not honoring the US Dollars exchange rate value". This included many private campgrounds that did not except credit cards.

I wonder do the grocery stores and all gas stations except CC's?

If I'm entering at Sweetgrass, how do I exchange my US dollars for some Canadian stuff?
If you have time before you leave try to guess about how much Canadian you will spend, go your local bank they may be able to exchange currency. If not they may be able to point you to someone that can exchange currency.
Our bank can order it in what ever paper denomination that you want, they won't deal with coins.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #176

Alpine Owners Club
Alaska 2016

When we went to Alaska over the summer of 2014 we exchanged currency at a bank in Lethbridge so we had cash available if we needed it, but had no problems with MasterCard or Visa anywhere on the trip. If you want to see our entire trip from Cape Cod to Alaska and return go to www.capecodtoalaska2014.com, hundreds of pictures, daily miles, campgrounds, etc. one hint, we found the cheapest fuel (both gas and diesel) at Fred Myers in Anchorage. Another hint, keep your camera handy, you never know when you are going to want it, quickly. Be prepared to pay significantly higher prices for fuel, the worst we saw, and it was only once, was $5.60 a gallon for diesel. Fuel was available, just drive on the top half of your tank. Most MH's have a large enough fuel tank that you will have no problems, mostly we did 100 - 200 miles a day. One note, after our trip we noticed that some of the fuel stops that had been open in prior years were not open in 2014, so don't run low on fuel counting on a particular station being open (even if you have a list that says it should be). Also ask your campground where to fuel, many of the them have a relationship with a particular station and you can get a discount, don't be afraid to ask. We would fuel up each day and were only topping off the tank, remember, the idea is to enjoy the journey, not rush place to place. We kept several hundred dollars, both US and Canadian in cash with us just in case and managed our Loonies and Toonies toward the end of our time in Canada paying for gifts, campgrounds, meals, fuel etc, then gave our grandson the remaining change, he loved it. I agree with the prior comments, the Canadians are wonderful people, friendly and willing to take US dollars (in 2014 the exchange rate did not give a 28% advantage like it does now, I would love to make that on a transaction). Enjoy your trip, it may be the only time you get to Alaska, make those side trips, don't rush place to place, and if you see an orange flag or cone next to the road, SLOW DOWN, they indicate a frost heave.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Hey folks, you're not going to the moon. This is a fairly civilized part of the world. We have Gas, Diesel and in most cases, even food. Most of us even speak your language.
Nice places and people! My sister even married one!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #178

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
The only reason I mentioned it was a blog I read over the weekend from a couples 2015 100 day trip there was a number of places that would not honor any exchange rate. They also had issue in a few Provincial campgrounds where you put the $15 or $18 in a envelope (self pay) in US bills, they would not give change. Later a volunteer would come around to give you your tag, but no change. We plan on "some" over nights stops in some Provincial parks.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #179

You're in their country so it's best to use their currency. Places in the U.S. don't typically accept Canadian currency either.

As soon as we crossed we went to a Canadian bank to exchange currency. $300 for the whole summer was more than enough.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #180

Supershif, read that entire blog and I really did not get the impression that they enjoyed themselves. Of course Alaska is not like the lower 48 and if that is what you expect, you will not have a good time. For us, it was an adventure that was worthwhile and we plan to return as many times as we can starting in 2017. Heck we want to fly to up and see what Alaska is like in the winter. So far, it is the only place we have seen on our full timing travels that I would like to live.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #181

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Another question. I notice on the the Canadian websites for the Provincial and Territorial campgrounds, some list they have "potable water". Can I trust that water? I'm sure it's fine for: showers, toilet and dish washing, but can I use it for cooking with, making coffee or sun tea.

Normally most of the state parks we camp at in OH. PA. NY. VT., we'll fill a empty gallon jug for making coffee and cooking.

Because we want to cut some weight for our trip, and knowing the carbonated beverages the 3 of us crave, will be $$$ up North, my wife plans to brew sun tea which I'm fine with that. That is why I'm coming back to the issue of water quality.

Once we get to my sis-n-laws in North Pole, shopping in Fairbanks at Wally World or Fred Meyer's will be fine.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #182

Alpine Owners Club
You will find Wal-mart's in Canada. I remember one in Dawson Creek and Whitehorse and I know I saw others.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote