Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #183

Groceries at the small store in Tok are very expensive so avoid that if you can. There are Wal-Marts in Canada and the prices are more but not extreme. Dining out in Canada can be very expensive and sometimes you find different offering like poutine at the KFC in Dawson Creek.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #184

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
It will be about 26 days from Ohio to my sis-n-laws in North Pole. So we're going to "stash" some extra snacks, food items we know are going to be $$$ in Canada. We'll hit the Fred Meyer's or Wally-World in Fairbanks. Milk, meats, bread, eggs, fruit and those things we'll just bight the bullet and get along the way, and make sure there gone when we hit the boarders.

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #185

Newmar Owners Club
Reservations or not?

We'll be leaving June 3rd from San Antonio - up through Montana - Calgary - Banff - and Icefields Pkwy in our 42' + CRV. No firm plans beyond except reservations @ July 10th in Seward for 2 weeks. So, what to do about reservations enroute and back home @ Aug 15th? With the price of diesel where it is, I'm assuming we won't be the only RV headed that-a-way. From reading this thread, it seems best to not be on a firm schedule. Are there enough pull outs, Wal Marts etc where we can spend the night? Or, should we be reserving places, ahead of time, each night on the trip north?
airlife01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #186

We did not make many campground reservations, Denali being one. Cannot speak to Wal-Marts, but there are plenty of places to dry camp if you don't have an issue with that.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #187

Our only reservations were for 5 nights at Teklanika campground in Denali and the July 4 weekend in Palmer. We only made those reservations about 3 weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd get there. As it turned out we were early for Denali so on a whim we boondocked nearby and drove into the park early morning. We easily secured an additional 5 nights in Denali's front campground - Riley Creek. We saw 'THE' mountain 7 of 10 days and saw every one of the big animals in the park - some lots more than once.

If you pull in by early afternoon at RV parks you'll get a site. We mainly used public parks and awesome boondocking spots with our 40' motorhome.

Definitely no need to make reservations for your return trip. Folks finish up their tour at staggered times as opposed to those going up mainly around June. The last time we returned via Jasper/Banff the end of August and there were plenty of spaces available. We didn't even have reservations for them.

By the way, Jasper/Banff are gorgeous in May/June - from the road. However, hiking is minimal because of the snow. We did a hike out of Lake Louise in knee-deep snow just around the lake.

Touring those parks the end of August we were able to hike everywhere in nice temps. . . but . . . the snow is mostly gone on the mountains and those mountains are black. It wasn't nearly as pretty as it was in May/June.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #188

Winnebago Owners Club
If you want to camp in Denali it's probably best to have reservations. Outside of that we only had crowded conditions at the campground we stayed at in Anchorage, which had 3 or 4 caravans there at the same time. The caravans got the best sites and we were relegated to non full hookup by the permanent residents. That side of the campground was rather ugly and the only way to dump our tanks was to wait for someone in a full hookup site to depart and then pull into their site to dump. There was no dump station.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #189

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Any pointers as far as what to expect inside Denali at (Tek)? They say they have "water" is that potable water for showers and such. I know I can fill up at Riley campground, I'll drive in empty if I know for sure they have water I can fill my fresh water tank with. We just have a 3 night reservation (mid July) but I have 5 people. And I wouldn't want 5 people going without showers. Once we tent camped on the Bay of Valdez with no facitilies and "we"all stunk to high heaven and had to drive 350 miles back to sis-n-laws in North Pole for showers.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #190

We filled at Riley Creek. If they have water at Tek then it's probably just a faucet and not meant to fill a tank. We didn't notice because we didn't need it. Call the park for a definite. However, you're camping. Rough it. You won't be sweating there!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #191

Newmar Owners Club
42'6" of Coach

It looks like the max length in Denali is 40'. What's the advice? Get close and use the Toad? Will a 42'6' actually fit?
airlife01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #192

Our site at Riley Creek for our 40' would have been long enough for your 43'. It was super wide. However, you don't know if it would be available. I would plan on being there early morning to request a big site. If they don't have one, there are RV parks on the outside and being there early morning, you could get a spot in one of them.

I wish I could give exact directions but we stayed at a great boondocking spot not too far from Talkeetna toward Denali the previous night to arrive early. It's on the right, was paved with a huge open area and parallel to the highway with trees along the highway - very nice. It was full of fireweed which was blooming at the time.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #193

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
When we visited Denali, on the fly up visit. I walked thru the whole Riley campground. They do have a few sites set aside for "just motorhomes". In general there were a lot of crappy sites. Either too short or not very level. So I see why they did that.

Thanks for the in-tel on water at Tek. I'll fill up at Riley to be safe. My wife and sis-b-law are all nervous about bear while camping at Teklania.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:42 AM   #194

Winnebago Owners Club
We spent 5 nights at Teklanika. There is potable water readily available from faucets. However, you cannot hook up a hose to fill your tanks. We arrived with a full tank of fresh water and added about 5 gallons to it during our stay. They have what I believe are called vault toilets. Kept extremely clean. No showers. Those 5 nights were the highlight of our trip. Between hiking, bus trip, bicycling and the ranger led talks every evening it was just wonderful, quiet and isolated. Gave a real feeling for the park.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #195

Monaco Owners Club
The biggest problem with Tek for size is the sites are first come first serve. So your at the mercy of what is available. There are a couple site that could take a 80' but a campervan at 20' had one of those because of bathroom next to it. As to showers I don't remember if they have a dump station guess one could look it up, so how big is your gray tank. When we hit the tight water area we use the hospital bath wipes, they have an anti bacterial and deoderant. Be sure and get the hospital one, they are bigger and wetter. Wal-Mart has them and the package is blue. We had 3 rigs right at 40' and got there as early as we could and had no problem with a site, we got all by each other but did need a bit of jockeying. OH and don't leaveanythink out on the tables, at least when we were there the camp host was a turd, and is not polite about hauling your BBQ even still too hot to put away off to the jail room with a note or maybe not to get it out of lockup. Nice to be 30 miles in for the bus ride into Wonder Lake the RUFF roads and bus seats can take a toll on your rush. Portable stadium seats for camping that you can strap to your day pack are handy and last TAKE A GOOD CAMERA, and don't put it down or you will miss the shot of a life time.

LEN
Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
OH and don't leave anythink out on the tables, at least when we were there the camp host was a turd, and is not polite about hauling your BBQ even still too hot to put away off to the jail room with a note or maybe not to get it out of lockup.
I'm sure you were given instructions on leaving things out. Were you sitting outside beside your grill? If not, that is part of his job and instructions given by the national park service, to remove anything left out. It's for the security of everyone in that park. Bears love to get in grills.

We also volunteer and have had bad instances of things left unattended.