Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #239

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
Invisible Mask - Clear Bra Automotive Paint Protection, 3M Scotchgard, Carbon Fiber 3M Films

I would recommend anyone traveling the ALCAN add it to to the front of your RV, even just a bulk sheet will shave the paint job.

3M makes a spray on invisible shield, I don't think it would add much rock protection but would help with the bug strikes. It isn't expensive, you can wash it and when you are back down South peal it off with any bug residue.
For those in Alaska already and heading south, Clear Car Armor in Anchorage is an excellent option, though they are not cheap! I've had the front of several vehicles done there including my '04 35' Mountain Aire, and it's great stuff! It replaced the original Diamond Shield that Newmar had installed when the coach was new. It was garbage!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #240

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I bought some of the bulk 3M paint protection film on Amazon. Bought a 4" wide and a 12" wide roll. My biggest concern was at least giving my headlight lens covers a fighting chance against the stones flying off passing timber trucks on the Alcan.

Can this product be taken off after my return? I mean is there a glue residue that will stay on the plastic lens covers. I'm very diligent on keeping my lens covers waxed to prevent yellowing. It didn't come with any instructions....

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:09 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I bought some of the bulk 3M paint protection film on Amazon. Bought a 4" wide and a 12" wide roll. My biggest concern was at least giving my headlight lens covers a fighting chance against the stones flying off passing timber trucks on the Alcan.

Can this product be taken off after my return? I mean is there a glue residue that will stay on the plastic lens covers. I'm very diligent on keeping my lens covers waxed to prevent yellowing. It didn't come with any instructions....
The answers taken from their web site.

Is Headlamp film different than paint protection film?
Paint protection film is 8 mil in thickness and some companies feel thicker is better for headlamp kits and provide 20-50 mil thick kits. In our experience these materials are much more difficult to install and can actually trap in more heat. We use the same film for headlights that we use for paint protection. You won't be disappointed. (Note: We offered tinted, yellow, and blue headlight film which is a thinner Orafol brand and not meant for protection. It is strictly a cosmetic film and you will need to check with your local laws before applying this type of film)

Can it be removed?
Yes. It can be removed easily and will not damage the paint. To remove the film, you must heat the surface to approximately 120F while working a corner of the film with your fingernail. Once you have enough of the material free from the surface to hold on to, slowly pull the film from the paint. A "safe for paint" adhesive remover can easily remove any residue if this occurs.

Note that they are talking about removing from paint. My concern would be using any chemical on the lens, they are fragile and discolor easily. I would test it in a small out of the way area to insure not to damage the lens.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #242

We've been north twice. Once with Diamond Shield, once without. And never got a chip or ding anywhere on the coach or car. That can't be said for the lower 48. As far as the stories of all these rocks being thrown around by timber trucks, or any other kind of trucks, I personally haven't experienced it.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #243

Winnebago Owners Club
The biggest danger, IMHO, is to a toad if you have one. We towed behind our motorhome, with a skirt at the rear of the motorhome that was about 3" above the pavement. Apparently the skirt kicked up great amounts of gravel and dirt in construction areas which resulted in numerous chips in the plastic front of the toad and in its windshield.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #244

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Note that they are talking about removing from paint. My concern would be using any chemical on the lens, they are fragile and discolor easily. I would test it in a small out of the way area to insure not to damage the lens.
Yes, my biggest concern is my big honker Tundra lens covers. Before I leave here, I'll try a little piece to see how it comes off. Leave in 2 weeks. The problem is it's SNOWING like crazy right now. You got to be kidding me. Here in NE. Ohio...Middle of May...
Old 05-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #245

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

Leave in 2 weeks. The problem is it's SNOWING like crazy right now. You got to be kidding me. Here in NE. Ohio...Middle of May...
You are leaving TOO late!

I am normally in Fairbanks or Anchorage by the middle of May. Spend two months with one son then another two months with my other son and then it's time to head back for the lower 48 by the third week in September.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #246

We go up every two years to fish salmon and halibut. 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015 and hopefully 2017 and beyond. We've run the ferries and loved it. We stopped a Banff, Icefields Parkway, Lake Louise, and Jasper. Nice, but pricey. Once there was enough. We picked up the ferry at Prince Rupert and went one stop at a time, getting off for 2-3 days at Ketchikan, Wrangel, Petersburg, Juneau, Skagway, and Haines. Boondocked most of these places. When traveling the Alaska highway we stop at any wide spot in the road and spend the night. Never had a problem although they are starting to post "No Overnighting" in many Alberta sites. Never been chased or even questioned, but we don't stop at the scenic ones where traffic is heavy. Plan on a day or two in Tok, AK as you'll need to wash the rig and clothes. North of Whitehorse the frost heaves and road breakup can get bad but just slow down. 10-15mph if necessary. We reserve a site in Valdez for the summer and tour from there but reservations are generally not necessary except for Denali (WAY overrated). Call a day out if concerned. Campgrounds are generally a gravel parking lot with 30A and water. Limited 50Aservice in some. A central dump available for guests. Food is good and plentiful but choice is sometimes limited and it tends to be pricey. Most comes north frozen and shipped on barges from the lower 48. People are very friendly and helpful, so talk to everyone. Also stop at EVERY visitor center. Even the one room ones. Their displays and local knowledge is unbeatable. Be prepared for getting Alaska fever. Once infected the only cure is periodic return trips. Did I say we fish? we bring a 17 cu ft chest freezer, a 3 1/2 cu ft basement freezer and a household refer/freezer home FULL of shrimp, halibut and salmon. The fishing is to die for. If you need more info, PM me.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #247

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
We've been north twice. Once with Diamond Shield, once without. And never got a chip or ding anywhere on the coach or car. That can't be said for the lower 48. As far as the stories of all these rocks being thrown around by timber trucks, or any other kind of trucks, I personally haven't experienced it.
DiTTO wht Ramets said!

Removed the big rock guard from rear of coach, installed a Protec-a-
Tow, and covered the windshield on the towed with a yoga mat.
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #248

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
DiTTO wht Ramets said!

Wish I had done that!
Old 05-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #249

We saw folks in Whitehorse removing their big stiff rock guard. They showed us a layer of large gravel laying at the base of their windshield. We didn't have a rear rock guard, just the stiff ones behind the tires. We didn't get any damage on the whole trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
DiTTO wht Ramets said!

I was thinking of a yoga mat for the Jeep. How did you secure it to the toad? I was also thinking about bubble wrap.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #251

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic57 View Post
I was thinking of a yoga mat for the Jeep. How did you secure it to the toad? I was also thinking about bubble wrap.
We just stretch it tight and close the doors. Walmart has a nice long one that is reasonable.
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #252

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
* Question *
Planning 4-5 days to get from Ohio to the border at Sweetgrass MT. Most nights will be Wally Docking. But plan to spend a night at a campground in Bozeman MT. in order to visit a Arctic Fox dealer the next morning in Helena MT.

With that said, I don't have any information of where our next overnight will be. The first visitor center I know of is about 10 miles inside Canada at Milk River. We need one more overnight some where between the border and the Canadian city of Lethbridge (Alberta).

The next day I have reservations at Banff RV park. As it is, I don't think I'll have enough time to get from Bozeman, drive the 2 hours to the Arctic Fox dealer in Helena, look at a few trailers, then drive to Sweetwater for the border crossing and make it to Milk River Visitor Center by it's 5pm closing. ( Helena to Milk River 220 miles ). So looking at a minimum of 7-8 hours of travel time not including the RV dealer visit.

Somewhere between the border and south of Lethbridge would be ideal for a overnight stop...Any ideas? Do they have any WalMarts in Lethbridge or like boon-docking spots. Or, a private campground where it's near Route 4 and doesn't charge a lot for just sleeping. Doing a Google search, non of the campgrounds between Milk river and Lethbridge have websites.