Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #309

If you do break a spring/hanger and can limp into Anchorage take it to Alaska Spring & performance. They can manufacter any spring on site if they don't have it in stock.
One thing I was told to do with any new rig or installation of springs was to re-torque the U bolts. I did the and found one side had stretched or loosened.

It doesn't hurt to put a wrench to every piece of equipment under the rig after diving the highway. My neighbor found only two bolts holding the generator in place.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #310

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Because of the fires in Ft McMurry last month the feedstock ( oil sands) to the refineries in Edmondton are affected. So the price of gas in AB & BC has shot up. Paid $1.35 a liter in Ft Nelson last night. Comes out to A little over $5 a gallon minus the exchange rate. ($3.50?). There trying to get the locals from driving less. It is what it is.

So far the roads have been great from the Banff / Jasper area, up the Bighorn route 40 and thru Dawson Creek to Ft Nelson. But I have heard from a few travelers the Distruction Bay westward is a mess. We plan to do the TOW.

If in Ft Nelson if your looking for a cheap full service place, the Blue Bell Inn has about 30 spaces behind the motel. The 30 amp power was good and the WiFi was workable. Cost us $32 for a back in site. Nothing fancy, just a place to stage for the next 5 or 6 nights without power.

So far most of the cities have had good wifi at their visitor centers. And so far on the road there has been more coverage than I expected with Verizon.

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
If you do break a spring/hanger and can limp into Anchorage take it to Alaska Spring & performance. They can manufacter any spring on site if they don't have it in stock.
This brought back memories of years ago when we had a 5th wheel and were traveling across remote Saskatchewan. We broke a spring - had to hitchhike to the next small town - many miles away. Got a ride back with two teens from the tiny shop in town and they fixed it on site - on an incline, I might add. They charged such a minimal price that we gave them more. We drove very very slow into Winnipeg Manitoba where it was fixed more permanently.

People living in remote places have a way of doing things. They need to be self-sufficient.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #312

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wally docked in the Whitehorse last night. At last count there were 52 RV's there for the night in a rather small lot. Fuel prices have started to edge down. Since traveling from Ft. Nelson and filling at $1.35 (liter) I paid $1.39 ( yesterday ) to get a splash of gas to make it to Whitehorse YK. It's $1.22 at the station next door to the Walmart.
But I did see prices from $1.50 to $1.69 for regular in the small gas stops.

Wi Fi has been good at the visitor centers of Dawson Creek, Ft Nelson, Watson Lake.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Wally docked in the Whitehorse last night. At last count there were 52 RV's there for the night in a rather small lot. Fuel prices have started to edge down. Since traveling from Ft. Nelson and filling at $1.35 (liter) I paid $1.39 ( yesterday ) to get a splash of gas to make it to Whitehorse YK. It's $1.22 at the station next door to the Walmart.
But I did see prices from $1.50 to $1.69 for regular in the small gas stops.

Wi Fi has been good at the visitor centers of Dawson Creek, Ft Nelson, Watson Lake.
Don't forget the bakery in Haines Jct. great Cinnamon rolls, and breakfast.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 AM   #314

Spartan Chassis
The cinnamon/raisin rolls in Carcross are also really good!
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #315

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Had the huge cinnamon buns just before Summit (Tesla).

FYI: The Klondike Highway from Whitehorse to Dawson City is fine but, you need to be on your toes. The first half 150 miles had a few bad dips/frost heaves that were not marked. The second 200 miles 80% were flagged, but there were sometimes 5 or 10 spots per mile you either moved over to the middle of the road, slowed down to 25 - 35 mph or went completely over to the on coming lane. Be alert. That is all I can say.

We broke it up into two days. Stayed at Moose Creek Provincial Park. 36 sites, easy turn in and fairly level. $12.

Gas in Dawson City $1.34 (reg)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #316

Quote:

We broke it up into two days. Stayed at Moose Creek Provincial Park. 36 sites, easy turn in and fairly level. $12.
We also stayed at Moose Creek Provincial campground. At that time, the Lodge was open and we had breakfast there. The owner was the cook and server and he told us many neat stories and what it's like in the winter months and the problems having a garden. Interesting fella!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #317

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Did some gold panning today. Tried our luck at the slots at Diamond Tooth Gerties last night.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #318

Quote:
Had the huge cinnamon buns just before Summit (Tesla).

FYI: The Klondike Highway from Whitehorse to Dawson City is fine but, you need to be on your toes. The first half 150 miles had a few bad dips/frost heaves that were not marked. The second 200 miles 80% were flagged, but there were sometimes 5 or 10 spots per mile you either moved over to the middle of the road, slowed down to 25 - 35 mph or went completely over to the on coming lane. Be alert. That is all I can say.

Gas in Dawson City $1.34 (reg)
Always watch for the black marks on the highway that are caused by the spinning trailer tires from the semis as they go over the frost heaves. Aside from the markers, this is the best way to see the heaves and Slow Down.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #319

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, I have seen plenty of those.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #320

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, I have seen plenty of those. (Black skid marks). Hope when we do the TOW. ( Top of the World Route) we don't get into the gravel washboard effect.

Stock up on you food supplies. Paid $6.50 for a one gallon bottle of spring water. If you like cheese, all across Canada it's very pricy.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #321

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Did some gold panning today. Tried our luck at the slots at Diamond Tooth Gerties last night.
Jim, which one paid the most!
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 AM   #322

Quote:

When we were at Gerties I allocated $50 for the slots. Never won that first pull!! But had I won a few I would of still donated the $50. Lol

Russell