Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #323

Once you get north of Whitehorse the frost heaves and dips can get bad, whether you are on the Alaska Highway or running up to Dawson Creek. Just watch closely and slow down. By the way, use the WHOLE highway, traffic permitting. One year we were behind a RCMP car and he spent as much time on the left side of the road as on the right avoiding some bad patches, and we were following right in his tracks. Not even a twitch and a lot smoother ride than trying to stay only on "your" side of the road.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 AM   #324

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Jim, which one paid the money?
Walked away the 2nd night up a whole $1 then blew $20 on drinks. As far as gold panning may a gram. Did better in Chicken today on a gold claim. Still panning out my cons from my 50" River sluice.

*** one note. The Top of the World Route portion in Canada is fine. Averaged 35 - 45 mph. The First 13 miles in the US are some of the best "NEW" pavement you will ever find. After that the next 30 - 35 miles to Chicken are: tough. Very narrow, very rocky and bumpy. Many 4 letter words were spilling from my wife's mouth. And many starting with a certain letter. And she's a church going person. Button down the hatches, tighten the seatbelt and hang on.

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #325

If you come to Alaska; take your time, especially if you're driving a white truck towing a travel trailer with Florida license plates 5 miles North of Willow today.
Maybe you forgot that you were towing a trailer when you passed me?
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #326

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
If you come to Alaska; take your time, especially if you're driving a white truck towing a travel trailer with Florida license plates 5 miles North of Willow today.
Maybe you forgot that you were towing a trailer when you passed me?

You will find him10 miles down the road with a busted axle, pulled off the side of the road about 100 feet past those orange cones that are warning you he was driving like he was in Florida😱😱😱
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #327

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Did Top of the World last Wednesday. The Canadian part was fine ( as far as gravel roads go) averaged 30 - 45 mph. Once on the US side the first 13 to Jack Wade Junction was the sweetest new pavement you have ever seen. The 30 miles between there and Chicken AK. was to put it a better way, a large ATV trail. Just plain bad. Very narrow at spots, large stones ( 4" - 5" ) imbedded in the gravel surface. The 60 miles from Chicken down the Taylor to the Alcan was better the closer you got to the Alcan. Mostly paved but many wild frost heavies and gravel sections.

Between Tok and Fairbanks there is one 13 mile construction zone south of Delta Junction. Otherwise traffic flowed good.

FYI. Since our last visit, the North Pole Visitor Center has been moved across the Highway from where it was back in 2013 ( our last visit). It's now across from Santa Clause House. It really doesn't have much material. The only reason to stop is because it is in a log cabin and it's easy access off the freeway ( Mission Rd Exit) best to go to the Fairbanks one off the Steese highway. I'll be heading over there myself after I leave the Fairbanks Toyota dealer to fix a slow leaking tire. Noticed it in Chicken 4 days ago. Not bad for 5000 miles of travel in the last month.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #328

Reservations??

We're about 10 days out from entering Canada at Sumas(Wash) on our way to Fairbanks. This is our first trip to AK...our first real trip at all truthfully. So far I've been making reservations along the way from the Cali Bay Area up the coast. Should I continue trying to line up places through Canada and AK or just go and enjoy with the idea that there will options available?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #329

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We did a mix of provincial parks in BC & YK. For those we just arrived by 3-4 in the afternoon. Some filled up after 6 or 7 in the evening. We did make reservations for Dawson City and Chicken 4 or 5 days before. Especially in Dawson City if you want electric, I would call ahead. For the Laird Hot Springs Provincial Park we arrived at 10am. I believe 20 of the 56 sites are reservable. That park filled up by 2 in the afternoon. Arriving early we got a spot near the boardwalk to the hot springs.

If your coming up the Cassier, you will bypass that area. I found the provincial parks had nice level sites.

: We Wally-Docked at the Walmart in Whitehorse. Small parking lot, so arrive there by 4 or 5. I counted 51 RV's in the lot.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznCoastie View Post
We're about 10 days out from entering Canada at Sumas(Wash) on our way to Fairbanks. This is our first trip to AK...our first real trip at all truthfully. So far I've been making reservations along the way from the Cali Bay Area up the coast. Should I continue trying to line up places through Canada and AK or just go and enjoy with the idea that there will options available?

Thanks
The only reservations we made for our 40' motorhome for a whole summer trip to Alaska were for the July 4 weekend and for 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground. For those we only made them a few weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be there.

As it turned out, we were early for Denali so on a whim we boondocked nearby at a lovely spot and drove into the park early morning. We easily secured an additional 5 nights in the front campground, Riley Creek.

The key is to arrive in a campground by 1 or 2pm or earlier, if possible.

Also, you mentioned you're heading to Fairbanks. I really hope that's not your only destinations. You need to at least travel on every paved road there is in Alaska and then you can say you've seen Alaska.

Have a great trip....and get a move on!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #331

The only reservation we made in Alaska was also at Denali National Park with a 32' RV and Jeep. We made them 5 days before and spent three nights in Tek campground, 29 miles in. We travelled from Rhode Island to Alaska with no reservations. We left in May and returned in September. Also, due to sickness and death of a family member, our original big trip, which was to start in April, got scratched. Alaska was on a whim decision, no planning, just went! And we had no problems, just remember to drive slow!!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #332

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznCoastie View Post
...Should I continue trying to line up places through Canada and AK or just go and enjoy with the idea that there will options available?Thanks
We make reservations at Tek in Denali and over the 4th of July. Other than those two times our motto is leave early in the morning (more animals are out), drive slow, keep the camera ready, and stop by mid-afternoon. If we know where we want to be for the night we will call ahead to ask for a pull through but other than that we just use our GPS, Churchs' Guide, and Milepost.

Just about anywhere along the Alaskan Highway you can find a pull off or gravel pit that will accommodate any size rig every 10-20 miles. If you don't mind boon-docking every now and then it is a great way to have some peace and quiet in a beautiful setting.
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #333

If you find yourself near Summit lake on the Richardson be sure to take in a night at Fielding Lake. Never ceases to produce some good wildlife viewing
Old 06-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #334

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If you want a "electric" site in or near Dawson City I would call a few days out. The campground we stayed at had a few RVers arriving later in the day with only dry sites available. Even when he called 4 days out they didn't have any electric site, but said 99% chance people cancel and one will come available. Which was what happened.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:28 AM   #335

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are in Delta Junction tonight and on to Fairbanks tomorrow. The US side of the Top of the World was bad, my husband was driving and I was afraid to look at the window because I do not like heights. Although I thought the "highway" between Chicken and Tok was in worse shape. Also be ready for a delay south of Delta Junction, road construction going on and we had to wait for a pilot car to lead us through.

No camping reservations thus far and no problem as long as we arrived early. Had to spend one night in the over flow camping at Liard Hot Springs, but we did not arrive until 8pm on a Saturday night. No problem getting a full hookup spot at Dawson City RV Park (but again, arrived early) We do have reservations for Denali in a few weeks and for part of the July 4 weekend. Everything is working out well, with the exception of our Protect A Tow device which basically disintegrated on the TOW. I am going to call the company tomorrow. We just bought it for this trip and the first bad road it failed.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:42 PM   #336

We've been up to Alaska 6 times since 2006 and the only places we've ever made reservations at is Denali at any time, and Valdez when we're reserving for the entire season. Also consider reservations for Seward on July 4, the Valdez Women's Salmon Derby, Valdez Gold Rush Days, and perhaps the finish of the Fireweed 400 Bicycle Race across Alaska and Deadhorse if you want a tour of the Prudhoe Bay Oil Fields.. We've never made reservations anyplace else, and if we fund a park full, we just boondock for a day or 2 until a spot opens up. A call a day or 2 ahead of arrival ALWAYS works. In Alaska boondocking is allowed at turnouts as long as you are off the paved road and shoulder and the turnout is not posted as NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING. Yukon generally follows similar rules and BC does as well unless you are around the populated cities. We never make reservations on the way up or back and have never been questioned by anyone, even in posted sites.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote