Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #351

I will keep that in mind the next time I go up,

Cosby, TN, are you near Smokey Mtn Premier RV Resort?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:34 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I will keep that in mind the next time I go up,

Cosby, TN, are you near Smokey Mtn Premier RV Resort?

We are 4-5 miles toward Gatlinburg from Premier. We've been full time for 9 years and own a lot at Outdoor Resorts of Gatlinburg.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
We are 4-5 miles toward Gatlinburg from Premier. We've been full time for 9 years and own a lot at Outdoor Resorts of Gatlinburg.
We stayed at Premier as a travel stop on the way home from SC last year. Grandson and I swam for about 5 hours
Old 07-08-2016, 11:45 PM   #354

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Hmm almost 4 years in AK and I never heard of Hatcher Pass, looks like a great place to go. Is the road RV passable?
Your Storm probably has the ground clearance necessary to get over the road. It is wider than Top of the World but can be rougher, especially if you go all the way over the top to Willow.
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #355

I don't know if I will ever take the Storm there. I still work so long vacations are not in the picture. If I went back up I would probably rent from Great Alaskan again. Oh and sorry didn't mean to cuss.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #356

We drove our Jeep Liberty on Hatcher Pass but only because that's our vehicle. I don't recall having to use 4W drive or need high clearance. It'a a good gravel road...at least when we were on it.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #357

Monaco Owners Club
Spending extra time in Fort Nelson with a broken radiator

Had a great month + traveling around Canada and Alaska. Coach ran great and all was good until the last gravel section northwest of Watson Lake southbound Tuesday. Had multiple rocks puncture multiple holes in my pusher diesel's rear mounted radiator. It was ironic after visiting with a fellow camper in Soldotna who showed me the chicken wire he used to cover the bottom of his coach. He was a 15 year veteran of Alaska trips. We ended up on the side of the road 15 miles southeast of Watson Lake when the warning lites and shut engine lites came on. Of course no cell service, so off to the visitors center in the jeep toad to make arrangements for help. Many may complain about Good Sams Roadside Insurance, but they saved my bacon. After spending a night on the side of the road, noon the next day our hero arrived with a tractor trailer (lowboy flatbed) He had driven all morning (375 miles) from Fort Nelson to get us. By the time we got the rig loaded it was close to 1:30p.m. My SW and I followed Phil in our Jeep and we arrived at Charlies Truck Repair in Fort Nelson that night around 8:30. Charlie's grandson Breydon stayed and met us. By 8:00 the next morning he had the radiator out and over at the Rick's (Fort Nelson Rediator and Muffler. Monaco used the cheapest aluminum and plastic radiator on our rig and we were unable to repair. Checking with Monaco they had a copper/brass replacement for a mere $5692.00 plus freight and customs. Both Rick and Breydon thought that price was highway robbery. We checked with Source engineering in Eugene, but they were out of stock and would not have stock for a week. Rick ordered a new radiator from his supplier in Edmonton
Thursday night. They started building it on Friday and we hope to have it in Fort Nelson by Tuesday and we'll be back on the road. The folks here have been fabulous. Breydon in letting us stay in the MH at his place. We have limited electricity and water. If we are careful with our waste tanks we should be golden. Public library and visitor center has wifi and there are a half dozen decent restaurants in town. After checking my comprehensive insurance is going to pay for everything minus my $250.00 deduction so all and all it has just been another adventure.
Doug
RockyMtnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:29 AM   #358

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
So far 5400 miles and going on 6 weeks just one tire on my Tundra with two punctures. Tire had to be replaced because I had bought a 5 year warranty for rubber and rims. I think it happened on Top of the World section.

Question: I have asked this question before. We are set to spend 3 nights in Denali (Tek). Can I fill up with water? I have gotten many answers to this question. The last two said the water fill station at the Riley Creek campground is only a hand pump made for only filling up a bucket not for filling ones RV fresh water tank. Any input to this with someone who has been there this year. We're boon docking at sis-n-laws in North Pole till Thursday. Would like to travel dry to save weight the 130 hilly miles south and because s-n-l water is untreated well water. The park itself is not sure what kind of water faucet type they have. The last person I talked to said it was a hand pump with a non threaded 3" spout. I thought it was a simple question. I know once at the Tek Campground 29 miles inside the park it will be just a hand pump for simple washing.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #359

Winnebago Owners Club
At the visitor center, which is quite near the Riley Creek CG, there are multiple dump stations with fresh water fills from running water, not hand pumps. Also, at Teklanika CG there is running water. You cannot hook it up directly to your RV but as we ran low on water we filled gallon milk jugs and used those to refill the fresh water tank in our motorhome. With care, short showers, etc. we were easily able to go the 5 days we spent at Tek and we have a small motorhome.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #360

Monaco Owners Club
The Riley Creek campground may have just hand water pumps which I never had to use BUT I filled up at the Riley Creek Mercantile store and registration office where you had to go to register before going into the Riley Creek campground when we stayed back in 2012.

That's where the dumps stations are located also.

We parked our long cargo trailer at the main visitors center located further up the road where they have multiple huge parking lots.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #361

Winnebago Owners Club
My mistake. The dump stations are not at the Visitor's Center but rather at the Riley Creek Mercantile store. Dump if you need to, fill the freshwater and head off the Teklanika. Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #362

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx all.

This is more comforting info than the park itself said. When people are not really RVers, to them water is water.

Same thing happened a few years back while traveling to a Smoky Mtn National Park campground ( Elkmont). The park employee said there is "no available water" at the campground. Come find out there was a few water faucets to fill with in the campground. Now I know.

We have been to Denali before in 08', but we stayed at a B&B in Healy and drove in. We have 3 nights reserved at Tek. We'll have us 3 plus my Sis-n-law and husband who live in North Pole. They do very little camping, for which my s-n-l is very nervous about bears. And with the bear problems near Savage River area, that only compounds the problem.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #363

As stated, the Riley Creek Mercantile in the park has an excellent (I think 3 lanes) dump station with potable fresh water fill. There are also showers there and a laundry.

Be sure to purchase the TEK bus pass. It will allow you to use the bus from the campground as often as you want and go as far as you want. You can get off anywhere and catch the next bus coming by - just wave them down. It's an awesome feeling to get off the bus and just walk along the road a short distance. When the bus pulls away the silence and immense area surrounding you is surreal!

We spent 5 nights there and one of the bus trips was to the very end. Every day we saw all the wildlife before Eileson Visitor Center so we felt the end of the road trip was much too long of a day. We'd sometimes go out just for a couple hours in the morning or late afternoon and that's when we saw the animals. Don't forget to pack your lunch/snack and drinks for the bus.

Also, the specific sites aren't reservable. We made it a point to leave first thing in the morning as soon as we were allowed to go. Ask for the time. This assured us of getting a nice large site. There's also a ranger program each evening. Bring a coat.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
Had a great month + traveling around Canada and Alaska. Coach ran great and all was good until the last gravel section northwest of Watson Lake southbound Tuesday. Had multiple rocks puncture multiple holes in my pusher diesel's rear mounted radiator. It was ironic after visiting with a fellow camper in Soldotna who showed me the chicken wire he used to cover the bottom of his coach. He was a 15 year veteran of Alaska trips. We ended up on the side of the road 15 miles southeast of Watson Lake when the warning lites and shut engine lites came on. Of course no cell service, so off to the visitors center in the jeep toad to make arrangements for help. Many may complain about Good Sams Roadside Insurance, but they saved my bacon. After spending a night on the side of the road, noon the next day our hero arrived with a tractor trailer (lowboy flatbed) He had driven all morning (375 miles) from Fort Nelson to get us. By the time we got the rig loaded it was close to 1:30p.m. My SW and I followed Phil in our Jeep and we arrived at Charlies Truck Repair in Fort Nelson that night around 8:30. Charlie's grandson Breydon stayed and met us. By 8:00 the next morning he had the radiator out and over at the Rick's (Fort Nelson Rediator and Muffler. Monaco used the cheapest aluminum and plastic radiator on our rig and we were unable to repair. Checking with Monaco they had a copper/brass replacement for a mere $5692.00 plus freight and customs. Both Rick and Breydon thought that price was highway robbery. We checked with Source engineering in Eugene, but they were out of stock and would not have stock for a week. Rick ordered a new radiator from his supplier in Edmonton
Thursday night. They started building it on Friday and we hope to have it in Fort Nelson by Tuesday and we'll be back on the road. The folks here have been fabulous. Breydon in letting us stay in the MH at his place. We have limited electricity and water. If we are careful with our waste tanks we should be golden. Public library and visitor center has wifi and there are a half dozen decent restaurants in town. After checking my comprehensive insurance is going to pay for everything minus my $250.00 deduction so all and all it has just been another adventure.
Doug
Did good Sam cover the entire tow?

S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote