Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #379

Spent the night in Teslin. Laird Hot Springs night before and Pink Mountain before that. Headed to Whitehorse today where I'll make some last minute rig preps. Aside from some loooooonnnng stretches of construction, it's been a fairly decent road thus far.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznCoastie View Post
Spent the night in Teslin. Laird Hot Springs night before and Pink Mountain before that. Headed to Whitehorse today where I'll make some last minute rig preps. Aside from some loooooonnnng stretches of construction, it's been a fairly decent road thus far.

If you have time, stop for a couple of days at Cottonwood Campground on Kluane Lake. It's a beautiful setting.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #381

Cottonwood....great call Steve. We stopped in Whitehorse for a few hours to shop and work on the rig the pushed on to Cottonwood. So glad we did. Easily the quietest park with the best views we've had since leaving CA.

Tok tonight.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #382

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Where did you boondock in North Pole? That is in my old stomping grounds from a lifetime ago.
In sis-n-laws driveway. I can't think of any other spots in North Pole. There is a state park Chena Lakes just before NP city limits. The old Santa Clause campground next to Santaclausehouse house closed down at least 5 years a ago. But they do keep up the grounds as if it was still open. I'll see RVers pull in and "rest" during the day in the campsites.

You can boon dock at the Fairbanks Walmart. There will be a lot of RVs there but the lot is rather big.

There is also place along the Chena Hot Springs Rd to pull off.

*** Just want to add. Just arrived back from 3 days in Denali (Tek). The bridge on the Parks Highway near Nenana (going north) there is only one lane signal light and cones. The 200' section of construction was very narrow. Let me repeat. Very narrow. I only had a 8' wide tt. I had to pull my passenger side mirror in and proceed at under 5 mph.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #383

So how was your stay at Teklanika campground in Denali?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
In sis-n-laws driveway. I can't think of any other spots in North Pole. There is a state park Chena Lakes just before NP city limits. The old Santa Clause campground next to Santaclausehouse house closed down at least 5 years a ago. But they do keep up the grounds as if it was still open. I'll see RVers pull in and "rest" during the day in the campsites.

You can boon dock at the Fairbanks Walmart. There will be a lot of RVs there but the lot is rather big.

There is also place along the Chena Hot Springs Rd to pull off.

*** Just want to add. Just arrived back from 3 days in Denali (Tek). The bridge on the Parks Highway near Nenana (going north) there is only one lane signal light and cones. The 200' section of construction was very narrow. Let me repeat. Very narrow. I only had a 8' wide tt. I had to pull my passenger side mirror in and proceed at under 5 mph.
Brings back memories. I still have friends in NP and used to make the trek to Chena Hot Springs every winter to thaw out in the pool and hot tub. Stationed there (Eielson) from 12/79 through 4/83. Two weeks in a rented Class A 1999, Surf and Turf with Norwegian in 2007 and another two weeks in a rented class C in 2011. I think I am due!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #385

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Teklanika report: The weather forecast called for rain all 4 days we were to be there. It only rained one evening for about 10 hours. Between Riley Creek campground at the enterance of the park and Tek, hands down if your want the wilderness experience go to Tek. Location location location. Right on the Teklinika River gravel bar. 29 miles inside the park. Super fun to explore up and down the riverbank gravel bars. The 56 sites are all level except one. About 15 would fit a 40' RV. The rest are hit and miss. We lucked out and got one right on the river. I have no way of posting pictures here. You saved about 90 minutes of time on the park shuttle bus to get to visitor center #2 at mile marker 66 staying at Tek. If you go to Campgroundviews.com I did a review with 20 pictures. I gave Tek 5 stars, Riley got 2 stars. Took 65 minutes to travel the 29 miles on the park road. They were doing some construction on the paved part. But the 15 miles of gravel were very nice.

Another poster from this thread was also at Tek the same time and we had a good chat. ( Robert : rag ftw)
Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 AM   #386

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We filled at a park outside of Denali. Get a Two VB pass.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #387

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Seward Highway Info. Today (Tuesday) the highway was closed for 3 hours ( 2-5 pm) because of a forest fire. Halfway between Anchorage and Portage. Was backed up 5-10 miles each way. If they don't get it under control there will be more closures. Check with "Alaska 511" website for up dates. Lucky for us RVers we have food and a toilet. Many people were using the bushes. Caused us to change our plan. Stopped at the national forest campground in Portage (Williwaw). Kind of like and are staying a 2nd day.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:09 AM   #388

"at caught my attention was anything made with foam as it was listed as NEVER. The only way to destroy foam cups, plates was to burn it. They are also made with petroleum products so when it burns the smoke is generally black.

Dr4Film ----- Richard"

Ever put a foam cup in gasoline, or try to pour gasoline from a foam cup? Poof!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznCoastie View Post
Don't miss the bakery in Haines Jct. great sweet rolls. From the South, Turn right at the Raven just before the Ak turn off, follow the rd 1/4 mile it's on the left.
Pine lake is a nice camp ground just before Haines Jct. from the South, a better option than Wallmart in Whitehorse.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #390

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Any recommended place to camp in Seward? We're aiming to get to Seward by 11 or noon tomorrow (Thursday) to see if we can nap one of the electric waterfront sites ( city of Seward Campground). If not what is my next best choice? Two of the other private campgrounds are 6-7 miles out of town. The other private one is just past Seward ( Miller something?)

Would like to spend 3 nights there. Then try a few nights in Hope or start heading towards Homer.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:14 AM   #391

Stayed are Miller back in 99. Not much in the way of Amenities but nice view. I think we pulled into our spot facing the water and remember ending up with a lot of video of eagles.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:31 AM   #392

Monaco Owners Club
I would hold out for a site at the Seward City Waterfront Campground. It is far better than driving back and forth to Seward. I stayed outside of the city on our very first trip to Alaska but once I found the City Campground location I have always stayed there even though I have never been lucky enough to get one right on the water. Actually, the sites one level up have a much better view than being one row back from the row right on the water.

Dr4Film ----- Richard