Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2015, 11:24 PM   #29

Tetlin is a great area, rolling hills, lakes every where, a variety birds.
Short hop to Dawson about 200 miles over the Taylor/Top of World hwy.
Tok is a short drive Fast Eddies for a good meal.
Wild life usually late in the evening or very early morning.
We'll be coming back to Ak May should be coming thru on the 8th.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #30

Fast Eddies in Tok on a Friday night for their prime rib dinner. We saw most of our bears in BC and Yukon. We were lucky because we saw lots of wildlife on our trip in 2014.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #31

Twogypsies -
I read all your post. I have learned a lot and I am sure I have a lot more to learn.

Have you ever acted as a campground host?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
Twogypsies -
I read all your post. I have learned a lot and I am sure I have a lot more to learn.

Have you ever acted as a campground host?
Why thank you sir. Yes, we've done hosting for national and state parks and also a lot of interpretative tours of lighthouses including living on an island for three seasons. We've also done Fish and Wildlife and helping to clean up the shoreline of Lake Powell at Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec area via a boat - a unique gig. We've had some neat experiences during our 16 years of full-timing. Alaska is one and rafting the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon was another highlight.

There are just so many wonderful areas in this country and I love to share our take on them just in case they could help others. It seems like you do, also.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #33

We have had a slight change in our travel plans, turns out my granddaughter is graduating from High school on the 12th of May so we are changing our route to insure that we make it back in time. (paying forward the kitchen pass)
We will be entering Canada at Sweet Grass Montana on the 1st of May that will shorten the trip a bit but still allow us to take our time.
We are visiting Devils Tower anyway so it works out.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Fast Eddies in Tok on a Friday night for their prime rib dinner. We saw most of our bears in BC and Yukon. We were lucky because we saw lots of wildlife on our trip in 2014.
Fast Eddies food was great! We ate there several times in 2012. Within walking distance from the RV park, which, BTW has a free RV wash station.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are going to try and cross into Canada the middle of May. Of course it all depends on the weather. Going to stay into late July. We have to get back for a couple of new grand babies.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
S. Bradley "Caravan Thread
I copied your long post so I can read it to see what I might want to add to my trip.

Plan to leave Memorial Day evening, and boon-dock near Chicago...

Working on retirement paperwork starting in March. Hope to stop working May 18th to prep for the trip.

**Does anyone know when the 2016 Milepost is available?
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I copied your long post so I can read it to see what I might want to add to my trip.

Plan to leave Memorial Day evening, and boon-dock near Chicago...

Working on retirement paperwork starting in March. Hope to stop working May 18th to prep for the trip.

If I remember correctly they're mailed out in Feb. I would also recommend getting Mike & Terri Church's "Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping. It's a little more detailed as far as boondocking places to stop on your way up through the Yukon. We've been twice, and it will get into your senses. End of May is a great time to head that way. You'll probably miss any road work since it's a little early for that. Our last trip we crossed into Alaska June 1st, and on the way up saw rivers and lakes that were still partially frozen. The scenery was spectacular, especially Mt. Sanford & the Wrangells mtns. being covered in snow. I might also suggest crossing into Canada at Sweetgrass/Coutts in MT., hardly any traffic the two times we've crossed there. I wouldn't try for Banff & Jasper that early, maybe hit the icefield pkwy. on the way back. Just take it slow, keep the camera on the dashboard, and just enjoy the trip. I guarantee you'll be talking about it for a long time.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

Early in March.

Amazon has them coming out on March 7th.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #39

For more information about an AK trip, use the search feature here for "Alaska". There is already one 2016 ongoing thread that is several pages long.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #40

RE: the Icefield Parkway (Banff/Jasper) on the way up in May and even perhaps some of June: it's absolutely gorgeous with the snow on the mountains but keep in mind that if you want to do any hiking, the trails will still be snow-covered. We hiked around Lake Louise in lots of snow.

On the other side - if you do the area on your return in Aug/Sept, then you'll be seeing a lot of black mountains with perhaps a wee bit of snow on the peaks. Plus there will be a lot of tourists at that time.

Personally, we enjoyed all the snow in May!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #41

The Mile Post doesn't change much from year to year a 2014, 2015 will be fine.
The weather is always unpredictable up here but last year the temps were in the 70s at Dawson early May. The ice on the Yukon river didn't breakup until about the May 20th which means the Ferry was not running, so we waited before heading to Dawson (Top of the World hwy). If that is part of your plan just check web site they will tell you when the Ferry is running other wise put that at the end of the trip.
Back later taking grandchildren to school.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Mike & Terri Church's "Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping
Yes, I have that one on my list to buy on Amazon. Also the Alaska Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme.

Quote:
I might also suggest crossing into Canada at Sweetgrass/Coutts in MT., hardly any traffic the two times we've crossed there.
Yes, that is the plan. I'll be coming from Ohio. My original plan was to travel further north on I-94 and head into Canada in North Dakota (route 52), but I realized gas prices are much high once I get into Canada. So I'll take I-90 / I-80 / I-90 across the country from Ohio. I'm thinking about hitting route 287 to by-pass Butte MT. Is that short-cut OK?

Quote:
I wouldn't try for Banff & Jasper that early, maybe hit the icefield pkwy. on the way back
Do you think even if I was in the Banff / Ice-fields / Jasper corridor say June 4-8th that is too early? It is 2250 miles from Ohio to Calgary. Leaving May 30th figure 4 days to get to Calgary.

Told my sis-n-law in North Pole we plan to be at her place (boon-docking spot) about the 3rd week in June. 20th 25th??? No plans and all day to get there.

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote