Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogrdhg View Post
We are planning our 1st trip to Alaska next summer 2017. We have a 40' MH and also a 35' Toyhauler. We wanted to take the MH but several have suggested we take the truck and Toyhauler as the rough road conditions may damage the MH. If we take the MH should we also bring a toad? Our toad is a 2014 Enclave and think it might get damaged on the roads. Thanks for any opinions/feedback.

We drove our 40' motorhome to Alaska in '08. We towed a GMC Envoy. It was a great experience and we want to repeat it while we are still traveling. In my opinion, the danger of damage it over blown. Any trip in the lower 48 of over 10,000 miles includes a possible of damage. Portions will be dusty and muddy. The possibility of damage will be much reduced by the simple act of slowing down.

My advise is to take the equipment that you would prefer to travel in. By all means, tow something to sight see in.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #408

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ditto what Steve said. No issues on our 2013 45' tag MH. See http://www.rvillage.com/group/520/north-to-alaska with lots of info.

Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #409

Spartan Chassis
Ditto Steve's comments!

We are presently returning from our third summer in Alaska and have had no unusual problems or damage until today between Dawson City and Whitehorse. Came up behind a DP pulling a flat bed trailer with a car on it and he very politely turned on his right turn signal letting me know he was slowing down so I could pass. The only problem was just before I pulled out to pass the right wheels of his coach and his trailer drifted off the road onto the shoulder showering me with rocks, one of which gave me a huge windshield fish-eye, one cracked my fog lamp, and several slammed into the front of my coach. I couldn't believe all this happened in less than 5 seconds!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't pull onto the shoulder at 40mph to let someone go around and raise that vanity flap at the back of your coach up where it can't drag the ground or better yet leave it at home when traveling the Alaskan Highway!
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #410

Also ditto Steve- we travelled from RI last year, 105 days on the road. We crossed country, into Canada thru Montana and north to Alaska. We have a 32 ft Jayco pulling a new Jeep Wrangler.
Put on just over 15,000 miles and had no problems what's so ever. As everyone says, go slow on those dirt, bumpy, mud filled roads and you will be fine! We came home with no scratches, dents or window damage, just memories in pictures.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #411

We did get a broken windshield and a dent in the front cap of our 5th wheel and hood of our truck but it was not on bad road. We were only about 30 miles from Dawson Creek when a truck hauling gravel had a uncovered load on good road and a rock from his load hit our truck and bounced up to crack the windshield and dent the 5th wheel cap. We waited until the lower 48 to have repairs done and a couple of months later, the windshield was broken again on interstate road. So things like broken windshields can happen anywhere. Do not let that dissuade you from going to Alaska.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #412

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Same to report here: while in the 2nd construction zone near Distruction Bay Monday I was following the pilot car just as I'm told to do 50km (30 mph) per hour. I was going maybe 40kmh. Coming towards us was another pilot car with no cars behind him. He was driving at least 90-100 km (55 mph) per hour as he passed. Showered me with stones. Chipped windshield plus broke out my side window on my RV trailer. It takes a lot to break tempered glass. I believe the semi driver behind me had his side window blown out too. There were maybe 12 vehicles in our group, who knows what others had. Nothing I could do but get to the next safe spot to pull over. I limped into Whitehorse and made a patch for the window.

Contacted the construction company doing that area. The general contractor told me he is not responsible for what his employees do. ??? He hung up on me.

Got a quote of $500-700 just for the window. Plus freight, plus installation. 10 to 30 to order. Made it to Lethbridge Alberta nursing my bush fix window patch. Back in the US tomorrow.

Going to stop in Elkhart IN. To a RV surplus store to see if they have by chance a Kinco smoked frameless glass window.
Not a happy camper
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #413

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Alaska is # 1 on my bucket list. Let me say this, in 2016 we've spent 107 nights in our RV and driven about 12 K miles. One trip to East Cost, rest in the South Central US. I have had to have 3 chip repairs. One is now a 20" ? shaped crack which has been repaired.

Don't know about Alaska, but the roads in the Lower US suck as well. (Pardon my French)

I hope to make the Alaska trip next year, then I will replace the windshield, and the expensive 3M Crystalline film.

Like previous poster said....go and enjoy. Stuff happens regardless of location.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:36 AM   #414

I live in Alaska and travel to and from the lower 48. 12,000 miles this year, up and down the Cassiar, Alcan, from the East Coast; one rock chip in Alberta on a 4 lane pave highway.

The highways to Alaska are different each year with construction being the norm.
Drive reasonably and you can avoid most problems. Things like a rock chipped windshield are normal where ever you drive, breaking an axle is usually caused by driving to fast for the road conditions. Take your time and enjoy the trip most of the road system is in good condition and usable with all types of rigs.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #415

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, being alert driving in Canada and or Alaska is on you. Both AK & YK spend a lot a money on seasonal road repair. By the time we made it to the Fairbanks area in late June just about all the bad frost heave sections were repaired.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #416

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Yes, being alert driving in Canada and or Alaska is on you. Both AK & YK spend a lot a money on seasonal road repair. By the time we made it to the Fairbanks area in late June just about all the bad frost heave sections were repaired.

And they will get to do it again next year. The good news, about half the year they don't spend anything on road repairs, I guess they spend that time planning for next year😱
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Don't know about Alaska, but the roads in the Lower US suck as well. (Pardon my French)

Like previous poster said....go and enjoy. Stuff happens regardless of location.
We left Arizona with a cracked Jeep windshield. We decided not to repair it because we'd probably get another on our all-summer trip to Alaska.

We returned to Arizona 5 months later with the same crack and no additional damage to the Jeep or the motorhome.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #418

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
FYI. For those heading east across the US on I-90 the Walmart in Spearfish SD ( 20 miles west of Sturgis SD) is a "No overnight parking" lot. Ended up traveling another hour east to the Cabela's in Rapid City. Plan to do Rushmore today.

** In a week or so, I'll do a complete assessment of the Alaska experience. Otherwise were set to return in about 3 years granted fuel prices are average or lower.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #419

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

In a week or so, I'll do a complete assessment of the Alaska experience. Otherwise were set to return in about 3 years granted fuel prices are average or lower.
Did you discover any GOLD while in Alaska?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #420

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
O, yes. It's confirmed... I have gold fever. I would say I spent 9 partial days mining / prospecting for gold. In Dawson City YK. Chicken AK. , Hope AK and Fox AK. That was just getting it out of the ground and running it thru my 50" river sluice. Might have 50 hours of panning once I took the contents (paydirt) back to my sis-n-laws to pan. My guess is I have a little over a 1/4 ounce, but the paydirt I brought home was very promising. The I also brought about 150lbs of paydirt home to pan.

If anyone needs gold panning supplies, Pro Music in Fairbanks has everything one needs. Being a newbe, I thought I had everything covered, but Craig at PM gave me a tour of his shop and suggest items that make it easier.

Still 6-8 hour in the creek bed prospecting can sure wear one out. The first time I was wooped.