Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Dr4film

Richards
Thanks for the info on both Prince George and Watson lake campgrounds. Sorry for my fat finger spelling
Doug
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have to think of a good sign to bring for the sign post forest.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I have to think of a good sign to bring for the sign post forest.
Don't forget to take a folding ladder, most of the poles are full unless you can get near/to the top.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a small 3' folding ladder. Will that do? I want to make a sign, so if I come back in 5 years it will still be there. I have a few ideas brewing. I want something "different".
Old 01-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I have a small 3' folding ladder. Will that do? I want to make a sign, so if I come back in 5 years it will still be there. I have a few ideas brewing. I want something "different".
Best I remember, the posts are 12-14' tall. I tried to find my pictures of the Watson Lake sign forest on my computer, but they are hiding I guess..
These will have to do:http://www.yukoninfo.com/watson-lake-signpost-forest/
Currently there are over 72,000 signs in the "forest". You may make one yourself at home or make your own at the Watson Lake Visitors Center.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #62

Don't know if it's true or not but I heard they rotate and take down some of the signs occasionally Perhaps they take some of the lower ones off and put them higher or start another pole so it's easier for new ones to be installed.

You might call the Visitor Center for a definitive answer. Perhaps they even have a ladder setting there for use.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What ever I come up with as far as a sign it will not be just a old license plate. My wife and son have no idea what is I store for them. My son is going to find it very cool.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Don't know if it's true or not but I heard they rotate and take down some of the signs occasionally Perhaps they take some of the lower ones off and put them higher or start another pole so it's easier for new ones to be installed.

You might call the Visitor Center for a definitive answer. Perhaps they even have a ladder setting there for use.
Visitor center told us they never remove signs. When posts get old and replacement they photo the pole and replace old signs on new post. We took a piece of chain and fastened it between 2 posts just about 7 feet high and put our sign on that.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Visitor center told us they never remove signs. When posts get old and replacement they photo the pole and replace old signs on new post. We took a piece of chain and fastened it between 2 posts just about 7 feet high and put our sign on that.
The visitors bureau has an article about the very first sign posted there. It was by a construction engineer, in 1942. It was rotted away so they made a new duplicate sign and replace the original.Sign Post Forest **Homepage**

OK, AK-bound folks, that's your assigned task, while looking for a place to post your sign; locate and take a picture of this very first sign.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 AM   #66

Another interesting stop is the Toad River Lodge & RV Park, B.C.. They have over 9,000 hats displayed on the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hats #2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	117674  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
How about Chicken Alaska with all the underwear stapled to the ceiling of the bar after they have been blown out of the pantie cannon.

Watch this episode of Expedition Overland. Great 10-12 episode on Youtube about their adventure covering Alaska and the Yukon. (2014) True off-roading and camping...These guys get into some hair spots.

2015's adventure was from MT. all the way to Panama. You will think twice if you ever think about venturing into Central American if you watch this series.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #68

Do not get the impression that travel over the Top of the World highway requires any special vehicle. It is perfectly passable by a two wheel drive car or Motor home just travel at a reasonable speed. On a dry day the dust can be a pain, just back off. On a wet day the road is fine but the mud makes a mess of that clean RV, standby for a wash. Car washes in Dawson and in Tok. Tok is the best wash in the state right at one of the RV parks.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Alaska 2016

We are headed up early June from Texas, then back mid August. We'll be crossing into Canada from Montana after visiting there. Just got the front end repaired and have no bug protection there. Do we need it? I understand I will need to remove the mud flaps to protect the toad. Anything further to protect it?

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 42'
Honda CRV Toad. USAF Retired
+ 3 dogs
airlife01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On Top O' the World road or any gravel road slow way down when a vehicle is coming at you, especially trucks, they will throw rocks and the slower speed stops any real damage. The only damage I had was a few stone chips in the paint and I consider them service bars,(been their,done that).
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote