Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As far as the TOW, we'll plan it by ear as far as weather goes and construction updates. Here is a good link to an over-view of the Top of the World seen thru Sue Thomas and her website "Yukon Sites". Many good pictures showing the road, pull-offs, Dawson City, camping and what to expect along the TOW and all parts of BC, YK. and AK.

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 PM   #72

Invisible Mask - Clear Bra Automotive Paint Protection, 3M Scotchgard, Carbon Fiber 3M Films

I would recommend anyone traveling the ALCAN add it to to the front of your RV, even just a bulk sheet will shave the paint job.

3M makes a spray on invisible shield, I don't think it would add much rock protection but would help with the bug strikes. It isn't expensive, you can wash it and when you are back down South peal it off with any bug residue.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #73

Just in case anyone cares Destruction Bay got it's name because of the wind blowing down structures erected by the military during highway construction in 1942–43; it wasn't because people driving too fast in an RV destroyed their RV.

Little fun fact.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #74

Alaska 2016

We are planning our trip beginning the first week in July from upper Michigan to Denali and return to Colorado. Weather speaking, is that too late?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlife01 View Post
We are headed up early June from Texas, then back mid August. We'll be crossing into Canada from Montana after visiting there. Just got the front end repaired and have no bug protection there. Do we need it? I understand I will need to remove the mud flaps to protect the toad. Anything further to protect it?

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 42'
Honda CRV Toad. USAF Retired
+ 3 dogs
As far as bug protection, all we've had on two trips up north was a really good wax job. We went up pretty early, end of May, so bugs weren't a problem. Haven't had a rock chip yet either. I would check the front of the coach each evening when we stopped coming back and would clean off any bugs if it was looking bad.
If you mean the mud flaps directly behind the rear wheels, leave them on. The problem is with the full width ones at the rear they'll kick up all kinds of stuff onto your towed.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by First16Time View Post
We are planning our trip beginning the first week in July from upper Michigan to Denali and return to Colorado. Weather speaking, is that too late?
Depending on how long you expect to stay, I wouldn't think that would be a problem. On our two trips, we came back 1st part of Sept. and weather wasn't a problem for us. But keep in mind some places are starting to shut down toward the end of Sept.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #77

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
As far as bug protection, all we've had on two trips up north was a really good wax job.
I'll 2nd that. On my truck I'll wax all the front facing sections just before a trip. A good wash afterwards, and all the buggers are gone.

Quote:
This past year there was some early snow. Sis-n-law in North Pole said they got a few snow flurries Labor day weekend, North of Jasper they got 6".

Here is a YouTube video from the campground inside Denali (Aug 18-23) with Gone with the Wynn's. Yes, it snows in August. Even sis-n-law says snow on Labor Day is rare. Usually they might get a dusting Sept 15 as their first sign winter is a coming....

Gone with the Wynn's Denali (Aug 2015)
Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #78

We had a clear protectant installed on our MH when we bought it. We did not opt for the full stiff rear mud flap - just the ones behind the wheels.

We did not get any rock damage on the MH or the Jeep towing. We did see some folks removing their rear mud flap inn Whitehorse. We looked at their towed vehicles and there was a layer of large stones laying on the base/hood of the windshield. We never had anything like that.

We also bought a couple gallons of windshield washer fluid. Every evening we'd put about 6" in a bucket - no water - and cleaned the whole front of the MH from top to bottom. The bugs came off easily.

As stated, plan on driving much slower than you're used to doing - enjoy the scenery and watch the animals. When you see an oncoming vehicle move over to the right as far as you can. Many times on those long stretches and especially around Destruction Bay, we had no vehicles behind us and we could even move on to the shoulder, if stable, and stop completely until the oncoming vehicle passed, especially the big trucks.

On our Jeep, we left Arizona with a crack in the windshield. We elected not to get it repaired thinking we'd just get another on our trip. We returned to Arizona with the same crack and no more!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Many times on those long stretches and especially around Destruction Bay, we had no vehicles behind us and we could even move on to the shoulder, if stable, and stop completely until the oncoming vehicle passed, especially the big trucks.

On our Jeep, we left Arizona with a crack in the windshield. We elected not to get it repaired thinking we'd just get another on our trip. We returned to Arizona with the same crack and no more!
Good point....

Do the trucks make any effort to slow down? to minimize throwing rocks in your direction.

I have Tundra, where I think I'm going to get the 3-M headlight protecting film. I think I'll also get a roll of the 6" wide film and cut sections to protect the leading edge of my chrome grill and the leading edge of the hood...
Old 02-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
NOPE! Big trucks could care less about anyone except for getting their job done.

This past April on my way to Alaska I was pacing a herd of 7-8 Buffalo trotting on the left side of the road realizing that you never know what direction they may choose to go so I did not what to try and get ahead of them. A big commercial truck passed me by doing 55 so I sped up when that happened and shortly after I got pass the lead Buffalo they crossed the road and went up in to the woods.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #81

We are planning a 2017 Alaska trip spending for 4 to 5 months up north. We currently have a 38 ft 5th wheel towing with a 2015 F350 DRW. in some of the YouTube videos we have watched, we didn't see many bigger 5th wheels. Is a rig of out size of the appropriate size for the Alaskan adventurer? We prefer boondocking over the rv park and sometimes we may even just get lost on purpose. So how big is too big when it comes to towing a 5th wheel?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #82

Alpine Owners Club
Alaska 2016

Do yourself a favor, go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase a 4' roll of foil insulation, the bubble type stuff. Cut it to completely cover the windshield leaving enough to go around the side about 6" through the door between the post. Place the bottom under the hood. The foil will protect the windshield from any rocks that get kicked up over the hood. A small roll is more than enough to do several cars.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQcamper View Post
We currently have a 38 ft 5th wheel towing with a 2015 F350 DRW. Is a rig of out size of the appropriate size for the Alaskan adventurer? We prefer boondocking over the rv park.....
You definitely will not be alone with your 38' 5th. There are many big and bigger RVs making the trip. We did without any problems with our 40' MH and we boondocked or dry camped in public parks 90% of the time.

Purchase Mike and Terri Church's book 'Alaskan Camping' which includes Canada and the Yukon, also. They lived in Fairbanks and know every RV park, public park and boondocking spots along the way.

We even fit in Denali's farthest campground you can RV - Teklanika (highly recommended). We also stayed in Denali's Riley Creek campground.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
NOPE! Big trucks could care less about anyone except for getting their job done.

This past April on my way to Alaska I was pacing a herd of 7-8 Buffalo trotting on the left side of the road realizing that you never know what direction they may choose to go so I did not what to try and get ahead of them. A big commercial truck passed me by doing 55 so I sped up when that happened and shortly after I got pass the lead Buffalo they crossed the road and went up in to the woods.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Woods Bison in Canada. Plains Bison in U.S.A. I can't tell any difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canada to Alaska (82).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	118174  

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote