Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 AM   #85

Speaking of Destruction Bay, here's a shot of a campground there May 29th. And then us hitting the road in a snow storm headed toward Tok the next day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Destruction Bay Yukon Terr..jpg
Views:	69
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	118192   Click image for larger version

Name:	On the Rd. to Tok.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	118193  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #86

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
We are planning a 2017 Alaska trip spending for 4 to 5 months up north. We currently have a 38 ft 5th wheel towing with a 2015 F350 DRW. in some of the YouTube videos we have watched, we didn't see many bigger 5th wheels. Is a rig of out size of the appropriate size for the Alaskan adventurer? We prefer boondocking over the rv park and sometimes we may even just get lost on purpose. So how big is too big when it comes to towing a 5th wheel?
Your fine...I have seen all types of RV's up there. From motorcycles with pup tents, egg shell campers, Lots of rental class C's, pushers....5ers big and small.

In general the campgrounds have wide roads. Many private campgrounds are just gravel parking lots with a table and power pole. Pull offs come in all sizes, most are large to also accommodate the construction vehicles.

The only issue might be the TOW (Top of the World Route) or other gravel roads off the beaten path, only because you have to pay attention to the edge of the gravel road as to not sink in with the weight of your big RV.

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Your fine...I have seen all types of RV's up there. From motorcycles with pup tents, egg shell campers, Lots of rental class C's, pushers....5ers big and small.

In general the campgrounds have wide roads. Many private campgrounds are just gravel parking lots with a table and power pole. Pull offs come in all sizes, most are large to also accommodate the construction vehicles.

The only issue might be the TOW (Top of the World Route) or other gravel roads off the beaten path, only because you have to pay attention to the edge of the gravel road as to not sink in with the weight of your big RV.
That's good to hear. We are planning on driving the Dalton Highway up to Deadhorse and do understand the poor road conditions. We will allow enough time so we don't have to rush through and risk our safety. Like stated before, we are gonna be up there for 4 to 5 months or more possibly. There will be no rush to see the beauty that Alaska has to offer.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #88

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Here is a good YouTube video from Expedition Overland on their Dalton Hyway trip. Gives you a sense of what the road is like. They did about ten 25 minute Episodes. I believe this was summer of 14' If you want a real wild adventure, check out their trip to Panama this past summer. From Montana to Panama in two 4Runners with portable tents attached to the 4Runners roof.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #89

We do not recommend the Dalton Hwy. Joyce and I live in Alaska, Joyce traveled to Kaktovic for a Polar Bear photo shoot two yrs ago they drove up. They had several flat tires, rain turned the road to mud, truckers are on a mission and they are traveling fast, lots of rocks being thrown coming at you or going away. If you are set on driving the Dalton and have a toad use that to drive the Dalton.

If it's driving to the Arctic Circle you are set on a better option is the Dempster Hwy outside of Dawson.
We drove it last summer, you can drive up to Tombstone Park, camp and drive to the Arctic Circle from there. The road is quieter with fewer trucks and in great shape, plus you can hike in Tombstone Park.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #90

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Can I ask what Tombstone Park is all about? What are my camping options? How far off the TOW is Tombstone? Will the Milepost cover that side road.

I'm waiting till the new edition of the Milepost is available...
Old 02-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #91

Tombstone Territorial Park is on the Dempster Highway which turns off of the Klondike Highway south of Dawson City.

Tombstone Territorial Park

There are descriptions of Tombstone and the Dempster in the Milepost and in Church's Alaskan Camping book.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #92

Let me add just a bit to Jackfish's post.
You can combine some part of your trip either on the way up to Alaska or on the way back South.
Heading up from Whitehorse on the Klondike Hwy just about 48 km (30 miles) S turn on to the Dempster Hwy.
Tombstone Territorial Park - This is a remote park with beautiful landscapes and wilderness hikes. Camping right at the visitor center or remote tent camping.
This site will help you plan things to do in this park and others.
link - Tombstone Territorial Park

After spending a day or two on the Dempster head back to the Klondike Hwy, turn right and head on into Dawson. Spend a day or two in one of the Territorial campgrounds and visit Dawson. Embark on the Ferry (which is free and can accommodate class A's and travel trailers no problem. I have seen truck and trailer combinations that are probably 60' with smaller vehicles filling the rest of the Ferry. Top of the World Hwy (TOW)-(gravel usually in pretty good shape just take your time drive at a reasonable speed) to the Taylor Hwy on to Chicken then on to Tok. Take your time spend a night crossing TOW not in Chicken but at one of several BLM camp grounds 1/2 price ($5 or $6) senior pass.

We don't stay in commercial campgrounds in Alaska/Canada unless we need to resupply or dump, most are just gravel parking lots, dusty and cramped. State Park campgrounds, BLM campgrounds or just boondocks.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #93

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Tombstone Territorial Park - This is a remote park with beautiful landscapes and wilderness hikes. Camping right at the visitor center or remote tent camping.
I'm going to assume "camping at the Tombstone Visitor Center" is permitted ($$ ?) and is just a gravel parking lot? On the website Yukon Sights they have a good write up on the area, but don't get into any details about the actually camping.

Doing some further research, I came across this about the Tombstone Govt. campground. At least it shows the campsites are large enough for a 26' RV trailer. I think it's listed as 36 campsites, but some are just tent platforms. I just want to make sure if we time in our travels, that we can spend a night there to take in the views of the mountains and valley. And then head onto Dawson. Our travel plans call for every 3rd day or so to be at a campground with electric in order to top off the battery, do laundry if need be, dump. Otherwise, roadside camping and Govt. campgrounds is just fine.

Our RV (hybrid) is not a completely self-contained unit. Yes, I have upgraded to a new group 29 battery (1), yes, I have bought and used a portable 100 watt solar panel. Yes, for a 26' tt we do have large tanks (fresh 53, black 25, gray 35) but I'm a little hesitant traveling with full tanks because of the rough roads. I will be upgrading my 14" trailer tires from load range C to D's....here soon.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:30 AM   #94

Anyone getting excited about your trip to Alaska?

We are; that's why we are heading to Hawaii for a couple of weeks it's not quite time yet and I'm getting antsy to get on the road. We left the Navion in Rhode Island for the winter. I get nervous when I cant check on it every now and then. Especially with the terrible winters down there, we get to bring it home for summer. We have our Tear Drop (Nest Egg/second bed room) so we are not totally out of luck.

There are two different Navion's coming up in April Joyce and I are entering Canada at Sweet grass, Montana. The other is crossing the border Sumas, Washington. We should be able to provide some road condition reports for both routes as long as we have cell coverage. Start looking for road reports about May 5th. At the least I will post while we are in Whitehorse, Joyce will be visiting a quilt shop there near the visitor center so I will have time on my hands.
Be safe.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #95

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
We should be able to provide some road condition reports for both routes as long as we have cell coverage. Start looking for road reports about May 5th.
That will be helpful...Two couples with YouTube channels went up last year. Both experienced poor road conditions between Destruction Bay and the Alaska border. At points, in order to dodge the chuckhole they were down to 15-20 MPH to save their rig.

Quote:
Anyone getting excited about your trip to Alaska?
Yes we are...I have 62 more days to work days till I retire (May 18th). I think my biggest issue now is how to secure my home. I have my brother coming over once a week to check on the house. Cut the grass every few weeks. I planned on suspending my Dish ($80 a month) subscription for the summer. Turn the main water valve off. Set light timers. Tell the local police to be put on a house watch...well un-known to me, my wife kind of mentioned she was thinking about have my two nieces move into the house for the summer. That kind of opens a whole new game plan. What will it be for running the Dish satellite, electric...AC, water, gas...?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
...Two couples with YouTube channels went up last year. Both experienced poor road conditions between Destruction Bay and the Alaska border. At points, in order to dodge the chuckhole they were down to 15-20 MPH to save their rig.
I think you can be assured that the Destruction Bay area is pretty much the same every year so be prepared. There's a reason it's named so and it has to live up to its name! Just plan on driving slow, enjoying the scenery and watching for critters.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the road condition worsens just a little north of Destruction Bay closer to Burwash Landing and actually it starts further north of Burwash Landing.

I would definitely be on the lookout for bad frost heaves and road construction once you get past Burwash Landing YK. That will last until you reach Beaver Creek YK which is just prior to the border crossing into Alaska. That's about 100 miles total.

Just take your time and drive SLOW. Last summer there were times where I was down to 10-15 mph otherwise the coach would have self-destructed.

You will get some occasional frost heaves from the border crossing going into Tok but overall the road is much better in Alaska versus in northern Yukon.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Tunnel Mountain II Campground

For those planning to travel to Alaska through Banff and Jasper NP's, this warning was just issued for travelers wanting to stay in Banff Tunnel Mountain II Campground.

Camping at Banff National Park (Alberta) will be a little tighter this spring and summer. Tunnel Mountain Village II will be closed while utility work is done. This means 188 sites out of 788 sites through the entire Tunnel Mountain project will be shut down. Protection Mountain Campground along the Bow Valley Parkway will also close down for roadwork.

I would strongly suggest that you make reservations in this case if planning to spend any time in the Banff area.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote