Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yes, the road condition worsens just a little north of Destruction Bay closer to Burwash Landing and actually it starts further north of Burwash Landing.

I would definitely be on the lookout for bad frost heaves and road construction once you get past Burwash Landing YK. That will last until you reach Beaver Creek YK which is just prior to the border crossing into Alaska. That's about 100 miles total.

Just take your time and drive SLOW. Last summer there were times where I was down to 10-15 mph otherwise the coach would have self-destructed.

You will get some occasional frost heaves from the border crossing going into Tok but overall the road is much better in Alaska versus in northern Yukon.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Yep, I agree. Keep a lookout for the little yellow flags. they're your friend.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #100

I thought I posted this but must not have been logged in.
I was browsing the Milepost online and found that you can watch videos (under the Slide Show tab) of the places you may wish to visit. It may help you to pass the time before you begin you're adventure to Alaska, if nothing else it may generate some questions.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #101

Got several questions....1 - Is a 40 ft Class A w/ toad too big to maneuver the main highways to Alaska and campgrounds, 2. - Are the roads fully paved or have sections of gravel and 3 - Is it wise to travel alone or better with others?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saywhat View Post
Got several questions....1 - Is a 40 ft Class A w/ toad too big to maneuver the main highways to Alaska and campgrounds, 2. - Are the roads fully paved or have sections of gravel and 3 - Is it wise to travel alone or better with others?
You'll see bigger rigs than what you have. You'll hit some gravel sections when they're doing construction, which is every year on different parts of the hiway. On our two trips we never had a problem. The main thing to watch for are the frost heaves, but that's mainly in the Yukon. Some in northern B.C. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, they have little yellow flags to warn you. The one thing I warn people of is if they have a full width mud flap to take it off. They'll really kick up gravel onto your towed. As far as traveling alone or not, we prefer to be on our own with our own timetable. Some days we barely traveled 100mi., with the longest day if I remember correctly was 250mi. Once into B.C. and the Yukon, there's some beautiful scenery. Oh, and keep a camera on the dash or you'll miss some exciting photos.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #103

You see the smallest to the biggest RVs traveling in Alaska and everything in between. We traveled alone though we met up with others traveling the same route several times. You will be able to spot the frost heaves by the wiggly center lines. There are not flags everywhere. We used pullouts to let traffic by and drove conservatively. Don't limit yourself to only campgrounds with hook ups. There are some great places you can dry camp. We have a 37 ft 5th wheel and a dually truck and we had no issues finding places to stop. Purchase the Milepost because they are pretty accurate when looking for wildlife. We also used the Church's camping books. Don't expect campgrounds like the lower 48. Most are just gravel parking lots.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #104

You will be fine, just take your time. Most campground spaces accommodate your size, the only problem is that most of the campground roads will not. You might want to consider leaving the Toad behind. If you need a vehicle it would be better to rent a car, think about the fuel and wear and tear on each vehicle towing up and back. The frost heaves at Destruction Bay will be bad enough without a toad. The only road that is unpaved that you might want to drive is Top of the World Hwy to Dawson. We usually do a loop, Tok, Dawson, Whitehorse and back to Tok, the road is fine just not paved, slow works best. If you do bring a toad; for that part of the trip consider driving it over just don't tow it. Gravel flying back at the toad is not going to do it any good.
Keep the fuel in the top half of the tank on the way up the Alcan, facilities come and go, it's a long walk if you run out of fuel.
Travel alone or with a fellow explorer, either way the people in Canada are very hospitable and Alaska we're ok too. Most will stay to themselves unless you approach them, except us we like to meet everybody. If you haven't read the entire thread take some time to read it there is plenty of knowledge to be gained. Consider reading rv.net (Roll call Alaska 2016) and all the earlier threads you'll learn a lot about the trip.
Have fun.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #105

I would definitely advise taking the toad along. We had our 40' motorhome and towed the Jeep with absolutely no problems. I certainly wouldn't want to try and see things just by driving the motorhome. There are many, many big motorhomes on the highways, including the unpaved, Top of the World Highway. The RV parks are filled with big rigs and there are plenty of lovely boondocking spots which we mainly used. We didn't get any dings on our motorhome or Jeep and no maintenance issues. We didn't do anything special to prepare our vehicles. We just drove slow. That's the key.

I will say that in Whitehorse we saw some taking off their solid stiff rubber flaps from the rear of the motorhome. They said it was thowing up rocks onto their toads. We looked and indeed, a heavy layer of large rock was laying at the base of the windshields. We didn't have one of the mud flaps - just ones behind each tires and we received no damage.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #106

We have a 31 ft class c and towed a Jeep Wrangler this past summer, 2015. Can't imagine traveling without the Jeep! We like the Alaskan State parks and had no problems what's so ever fitting in them. We did not experience any damage to the motor home or jeep traveling over 10,000 miles. Driving slow is the key! Can't say it enough of times. We didn't crawl but kept the speed reasonable for the conditions of the roads. The Jeep allowed us places to travel where the motor home wouldn't...Hatcher Pass, fishing store parking lots, restaurants, back roads etc...
Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #107

There you have it, those that tow a toad like the freedom.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #108

Trying to post a pic. but not working for me.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #109

I testing posting pics, these are of Tombstone National park Canada. I will need to do more research.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #110

Alaska 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
We want to go this Spring too. We are in Central Florida.
When and where do you think you'll cross the border? We're wanting to "loosely" travel with others.

Marshall and Ulli
marshallandulli@yahoo.com
Old 02-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post

Trying to post a pic. but not working for me.
Make sure the photo is not TOO big in data size otherwise it will not upload.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #112

Retired in January and DW and I are heading to Alaska and looking to go salmon fishing on the Kenai. This will be our first trip so looking for advice. We will be crossing the border to Canada at the end of May and going via Banff, Jasper, etc, planning to arrive at the Kenai River mid-July. The 2nd half of July in Soldotna looks like the best fishing, but will be crowded. June also looks like fish are running up the river, any suggestions on timing,we are obviously flexible?
We will be heading down to Homer for halibut too.
I have a 12ft. Port-a-boat with a 5HP 4-stroke and trolling motor, is it worth taking to use in Canada and other lakes and rivers?
Same question with bicycles, we will be using them on our trip until we cross the border into Canada, but after that, can we use them? We could leave them with in laws before we cross the border, if there is nowhere to use them. BTW, they are hybrid bikes with some suspension, not full fledged mountain bikes.
Getting excited, planning is half the fun!
Graham