Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #113

You might consider Morgan's Landing state park in the Soldotna/Sterling area. You can walk right to the Kenai River from there to go fishing. .We spent time there in July. Sites were big enough to accommodate our 31 ft coach and Jeep.
Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #114

Check out the fishing lagoon in Homer for Kings and Silvers (depending on the season). The fish are plentiful and the fishing is lots of fun. Even the locals fish there. I think it was created for tourists and when the tide comes in, so do the fish.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #115

There's a city campground at the Homer Lagoon....a very nice stop with awesome views.

If you have a vehicle to drive around I wouldn't bother with bringing the bikes. They will get filthy as you travel. Also, bears can run faster than you can pedal.

The folding boat? You'll come across some large lakes and if the wind picks up you won't be safe. There are also some smaller lakes. Since it doesn't have to be trailered and if it will be no bother for you, then yes, bring it along.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #116

Ford Super Duty Owner
We want to go, probably next year. Would like to see the Northern lights and do a little salmon fishing.

From what I have gleaned from reading here; I take it that getting to Alaska in the early spring may be difficult in an RV?
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #117

Getting here isn't the problem it's just cold and your rig should be winterized. April/May are shoulder months, lakes and rivers are usually still frozen, but day time temps aren't tooooo bad 40-50. It can snow into June and the Yukon up at Dawson didn't open up until the end of May last year. Many services and campgrounds won't be open that early, so plan with that in mind.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #118

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Make sure the photo is not TOO big in data size otherwise it will not upload.
The picture limit is 300kb. I always have to "resize" my photo's before I post them. I have over 1500 pictures posted. (#2 view count on IRV2).

Quote:
When and where do you think you'll cross the border?
Coming from the Midwest (Ohio) we plan to enter at Sweetgrass MT.

Quote:
I have a 12ft. Port-a-boat with a 5HP 4-stroke and trolling motor, is it worth taking to use in Canada and other lakes and rivers?
I plan to bring both my inflatable kayaks. Wouldn't leave home without them. Advanced Elements inflatable Kayaks
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:22 AM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuckwalter View Post

We want to go, probably next year. Would like to see the Northern lights and do a little salmon fishing.

From what I have gleaned from reading here; I take it that getting to Alaska in the early spring may be difficult in an RV?
Wrong time of year to see any Northern Lights unless you are there in February or March which are the prime viewing months.

Late spring and through the summer there isn't much darkness but the salmon fishing is great. Plus don't forget to take in at least one day of halibut fishing either in Homer or Seward. Photo's below were taken last August in Homer.

We have always gotten to Alaska by early to mid May and leave by the third week in September. We chance nasty weather by doing it that way BUT my goal is to spend two months with each son and family, one living in Fairbanks and one living in Anchorage.

On the way to Alaska in 2012 I did end up driving in some snow for about 50 miles but eventually drove out of it. I won't do that again. If it happens again I will pull over quickly and wait it out. My problem was that I didn't pull off the road while I could still see the road. Then once everything was covered I was not about to take any chances by pulling off the road into soft ground and really getting stuck.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5952.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	120218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5934.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	120219  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #120

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have seen Northern Lights in late August while down in Valdez. Brother-n-law who lives in North Pole said it was the best display he had seen in 15 years. It went on for 2-3 hours. It's something that pictures don't tell the magnitude of how cool it is until you see it for yourself.

We were camping across the bay from the city of Valdez and they just started coming at us from over the mountains behind Valdez. The first day there, the termination snow was at the tippy top of the 4000' mountains behind Valdez, by the 4th night the snow level was half way down the mountain.

Our last trip up in 2013 (mid August) it was forecast ed to be a good chance of some over a few nights, but we didn't stay up very long to see any. They actually have forecasts on what days there is heightened activity where they might happen.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #121

Thanks for the tips.
Nice halibut Richard, I'd be happy with one of those.
Graham
Live2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #122

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Wrong time of year to see any Northern Lights unless you are there in February or March which are the prime viewing months.

Late spring and through the summer there isn't much darkness but the salmon fishing is great. Plus don't forget to take in at least one day of halibut fishing either in Homer or Seward. Photo's below were taken last August in Homer.

We have always gotten to Alaska by early to mid May and leave by the third week in September. We chance nasty weather by doing it that way BUT my goal is to spend two months with each son and family, one living in Fairbanks and one living in Anchorage.

On the way to Alaska in 2012 I did end up driving in some snow for about 50 miles but eventually drove out of it. I won't do that again. If it happens again I will pull over quickly and wait it out. My problem was that I didn't pull off the road while I could still see the road. Then once everything was covered I was not about to take any chances by pulling off the road into soft ground and really getting stuck.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I imagine the Northern Lights are a hit or miss item on my list. I will keep my fingers crossed for a major solar flare.

The halibut fishing looks great. Not sure my back and shoulders are up for the big one!
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #123

There are new rules for halibut. You have a limit of 2 and one has be be less than 29 inches. When hubby went out on a charter from Homer in 2014, only one guy caught 2 keepable halibut.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
There are new rules for halibut. You have a limit of 2 and one has be be less than 29 inches. When hubby went out on a charter from Homer in 2014, only one guy caught 2 keepable halibut.
That's correct, there are new rules for halibut fishing if booked with a fishing charter boat. Before our summer in Alaska last year I was last there in 2012 and they had not implemented the new rules. When I returned in 2015 the new rules had taken affect.

You are still allowed 2 halibut per day. One can be any length and one can be no longer than 29 inches, PLUS there is no halibut fishing on Thursdays. So most of the charter boats will usually book salmon trips on Thursdays instead of losing revenues.

I have found that the best halibut fishing has been later in the season versus earlier. Frankly it's all a matter of what the weather happens to be doing the day of your charter. If the seas are favorable then it's possible to get further out into the Gulf of Alaska where the bigger fish can be caught. It also depends on the specific charter company you happen to choose along with the specific boat captain. I have my favorite. Other's have theirs.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #125

Spartan Chassis
Graham,
We take our porta-boat and have had great days on the smaller lakes along the road. We only take the trolling motor. You will be able to catch dinner any number of times during your trip!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #126

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Any idea what a season (non-resident) fishing license is?