Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #1

Alaska

Heading to Anchorage Alaska from Kansas City, anybody that's gone there, - What do you wish you knew before you went? We plan to go for 60 days total. Must see, avoid, great places, watch out for - any help at all we would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom24M View Post
Heading to Anchorage Alaska from Kansas City, anybody that's gone there, - What do you wish you knew before you went? We plan to go for 60 days total. Must see, avoid, great places, watch out for - any help at all we would be grateful. Thanks in advance.
You have a couple of options on the section south of Watson Lake. You can get to Watson lake via the Alcan Hwy but the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy (Hwy-37) through north western British Columbia. It joins the Cassiar just outside of Watson Lake. I've gone to Alaska twice and like to take one route north and the other on my way back south again. It used to be that the Cassiar was a challenge with large unpaved sections but the paving of the entire highway was completed two or three years ago and now, other than the inevitable repairs along any northern highway, it's smooth sailing the entire way.

Also plan your fuel levels between Fort Nelson, on the Alcan, through to Watson Lake (319 mi). There is fuel along the way, such as about half way at Muncho Lake, but it is the most expensive fuel anywhere along the Alaskan Hwy.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

irv2.com has many Alaska threads, with hundreds of replies. Use the search feature to find them. The advice, things to do/see are invaluable to this day.
re: fuel; Drive off the top-half of your tank, don't allow it to get low. Business's close, I gave a guy my gas can to put the gallon of gas in his pickup when I came upon him stranded about 12 miles from Tok, AL. He had failed to follow the advice and the next station was closed up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

I would add another 30 days minimum !
Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We did the trip last May. The problem we had was traveling too fast! I guess we felt we had to hurry so we could see everything. We did slow down, and just had the most enjoyable time of our lives. We went north out of Montana, and had good roads all the way. Gas was never a problem, we never let the fuel get below 1/4 tank before we looked for a place to fill up. Their were some campgrounds that were still closed in May, but not many. Enjoy your trip!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alaska

Tom,
The first and very important thing to do, GO and buy a MILEPOST book.
It is like a BIG Atlas that tells what is up ahead mile by mile. It tells what mile marker business, etc are located. Very worth while bible to have.
You can purchase them from Amazon or book stores.

The Milepost was very nice for us to carry.

Enjoy the trip and take your time.

DeBusk
Old 05-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #7

Anyone know if DEF is available on the Alcan or should I just top off and keep a couple 5 gallon cans full and stored for the trip. We're heading to Anchorage from Arizona in June?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #8

Thanks to all I especially like the idea of adding more time to the trip. If I can extend it up to 90 days that would be awesome. The mile post book will be ordered today. Safe travel to all of you.
Find the good - Tom
Old 05-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #9

Tom, where will you be in Alaska? We're heading up to our place in Anchorage some time in June from Bullhead City AZ. I agree, get a Milepost, it's worth the price. Safe travels and enjoy the trip.

Dennis
Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #10

As long as your in an ordering mood today....order Mike and Terri Church's 'Alaskan Camping'. It is the only reference you need for RV parks, public campgrounds and dry camping spots. They lived in Alaska and go back often so they really know about campgrounds.

The Milepost is excellent for the historical and road data but don't rely on it for campgrounds. We kept both books open continuously for reference.

The other is the TourSaver 2/1 coupon book. One glacier tour will pay for it.

The only reservations we made were for the July 4 weekend and for Denali Nat'l Park. Even those we only made about 3 weeks prior when we had a better idea of where we'd be. Don't put yourself on a rigid schedule. You'll always find a place or else a beautiful boondocking area.

As stated, drive on the top half of your tank. Stations close every year.

Don't fret about vehicle damage. Just drive slow. It's not interstate-type driving. If you're in a gravel construction area you'll definitely be going slow but also, if an oncoming vehicle, especially a semi, approaches from the other direction, pull over as far as you can to the right and sometimes you can even stop if no one is behind you, and just let them pass. Rocks won't be thrown at you this way.

I hope Anchorage isn't your destination! There are places in each direction you need to check out, especially the Kenai Peninsula.

You can't get lost as there are very few ways to go. You'll meet up with many folks that you've talked to at previous stops. They're all going the same place! Have a great trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #11

Since we haven't been there before we really don't know our destination other then - we are heading for Anchorage. Based on your input we will definitely stop and see the Kenai Peninsula area - We hope to see as much as we can in route and in the Anchorage area - Denali, Homer, glaciers, whales.

Thank you so much
Old 05-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Dennis,

I do not recall any stations with DEF dispensers in Canada when we made the AZ-AK-AZ trip the last two years. We just topped off before leaving plus carried several 2.5 gallon jugs with us. Last year, we went north via I-15 to Edmonton then west to Dawson Creek and the Alcan. Southbound after hitting Dawson Creek we continued on to Prince George, spent four days on Osoyoos Lake in the Okanagan Valley (Canada's wine country; good wines, cheap prices), then 2 lane highways to Boise and the freeway ride back to AZ.

For those who do not know about it, Liard River Hot Springs is a great place to stop for a night or two. We stayed in the BC Parks campground both directions last year. We made advance reservations online for a couple of reasons. Being basically in the middle of nowhere, Liard is a popular stopover for LOTS of people so it fills up quickly. Not all of the sites in the CG will accommodate motorhomes (ours is 34'). When you arrive, the BC Parks rangers are all very helpful. The hot springs feel fabulous after driving for a while. Be prepared for lots of mosquitoes.

John
Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #13

Thanks John. Good advice. Looking forward to the trip and visiting with our son and daughter who both live in Anchorage plus visiting friends in Anchorage, Homer, Seward for the 4th of July and back to Bullhead City the end of August. We camped in Seward on the 4th of July with a bunch of friends every year since 2001. Missed it the last 2 years after we purchased the winter place in AZ. I'll have to start checking dates on DEF when I buy it for the trip.

Dennis
Old 05-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #14

If you are in the Kenai Peninsula take the railroad tunnel to Whittier. It's the only way into Whittier other by ship. Phillips tours have a 26 glacier tour out of there. Really worth the trip. It is a 5 hour cruise if I remember right.

Russell