Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

ALASKA

good rv camp sites in Homer Alaska. Going in later part of July and most of August spending most of our time in Homer. traveling with a 27' T/T and B/L with a 40' MH. we will be entering Canada form western Washington and just taking it as we go. we want to spend a week or so in Homer and do some fishing.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Back in 16' we stayed one night at Baycrest about before you get to Homer. In my opinion it was a little over rated for the price paid. Their claim to fame is the best view of Kachemak Bay. Problem was during our Aug stay the weeds were over grown blocking out the view from many of the sites....

Then two night at the dry camping spot called Mariner Park city of Homer owned. $15 a night. On the Homer Spit. Basically a parking lot (hard, smooth gravel) right on the beach. You can walk onto the beach at low tide. Pick up chunks of coal that wash up on the beach. Our type of camping. All you get is one parking lot (20 spots) one trash can and one port-a-potty. And picnic tables. Picture of campsite

#2 picture

Then one night about 15 minutes from Homer called Anchor Point State Park (Halibut Campground). "Anchor Point is the most westerly point on the North American continent accessible by a continuous road system". Means you can't drive further west without taking a boat. Being the only one in the campground, we were the further-est west one can drive in their RV in North America. Here is my review I did on campgroundviews.com
Picture of Halibut Campground #2 picture #3 picture

I did a review of the most updated private RV park on the Homer Spit called Heritage RV Park. I did not stay here, but if money was not a issue I would stay here if you want to be close to the fishing charters.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #3

Baycrest has now turned into a KOA. Make reservations if you want to stay in the Homer area as most book up a year in advance.

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #4

THANKS
Jay D.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Baycrest has now turned into a KOA. Make reservations if you want to stay in the Homer area as most book up a year in advance.
When we were in the Homer section of AK. back in July of 2016, we called Baycreast a few hours out to get the last spot. Yes, it was a rather poor site, at a premium price.

But, it was a good one night stay to dump tanks, fill water to move to the beach front Mariner Park the next day.

FYI.. Not effecting the Homer area, but "Dip Netting" season (July 10th - 31st) will make Soldotna / Kenai / Sterling areas an hour north of Homer a crazy busy area to even find a parking spot, let alone a RV campsite. The Large Fred Mayer's Grocery store in Soldotna all the 50-60 RV's were being tripled parked to shop. **( there is a free dump and water on the western side of the store)**
Old 04-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #6

That free dump site at Fred Meyers can be quite busy! We pulled in there last summer to dump and the line was so long we left. LOL
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
That free dump site at Fred Meyers can be quite busy! We pulled in there last summer to dump and the line was so long we left. LOL
Mid to late July we were like 5th in line. The problem was people cutting in line for the fresh water only, as that would prevent the people who just dumped from pulling forward to let the next person from starting their process.

Good website for dump & water is called Sanidumps.com. Gives locations of free one in all 50 states.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #8

Man you made me reach far back in the files.

If you want to visit Chena Hot Springs you want to stay here, about 10 miles away.

Taken with a Sony DSC-S70

I carried a Direct Way 4000 internet satellite Antenna the whole trip and it never worked. It kept pointing into the ground, as the birds were flying over Texas
Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know that place. Granite Tors campground mile marker 39 on the Chena Hot Springs rd.. We stayed at the other end of the campground. Saw a few Moose and picked High Bush Cranberries.

Granite Tors Campground pic #1 #2 #3
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I know that place. Granite Tors campground mile marker 39 on the Chena Hot Springs rd.. We stayed at the other end of the campground. Saw a few Moose and picked High Bush Cranberries.

Granite Tors Campground pic #1 #2 #3
looks like a great spot, we are planning to be around the Homer area for a couple weeks. it would be nice to stay at the KOA for a few days 3-4 maybe then move on, but were ? the KOA in Homer I think is 65.00 a night, 14 or so days of that is not going to be fun. the idea of my T/T was to travel relatively cheep. we are able to comfortably dry camp for several days so part of the time this would work.
Jay D.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #11

We've stayed at the city park on the Homer Spit. Same great views as the outlandishly expensive one right next door.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #12

We enjoyed staying at the Fishing Hole Campground on the Spit last summer. I think we were site number 2 or 3. It backed right up to the fishing hole and we had a great view of it out our rear window, which was nice because it rained the first day or two. LOL
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
looks like a great spot, we are planning to be around the Homer area for a couple weeks. it would be nice to stay at the KOA for a few days 3-4 maybe then move on, but were ? the KOA in Homer I think is 65.00 a night, 14 or so days of that is not going to be fun. the idea of my T/T was to travel relatively cheep. we are able to comfortably dry camp for several days so part of the time this would work.
Jay D.
Are you looking for "free" boon-docking or "low cost" campiung areas areas on the Kenai Peninsula in general? or just near Homer?

On the Homer spit, the only other "low cost" options are the city of Homer owned Mariner Park and Fishing Hole Campgrounds. Basically a gravel parking lot with "zero" features except one trash can and one pot-d-john. $24 a night. At Fishing hole there is a city owned dump station. Plus there are two more city owned small campgrounds in the city of Homer. Here is a link

Th
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #14

we can do anything, but would like to be close to Homer. possibly walking distance would be nice for a few days. like I said full hook ups are not necessary all the time but part of the time they would be nice. it looks like most are first come first served bases. I'm thinking the best way will be to just get there and see what we can find .I was just wanting to see what might be available up there for any type of rv site.
I'm wondering if there are any privet rv camp grounds in the Homer area? here in Oregon they are all over and usually but not always nice, clean and reasonable. THANKS
Jay D.

Tags
alaska, alaska trip