Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #29

My wife and I have been to Alaska 4 times now. Each time we went with a caravan and each time was a dream come true vacation. We have been full-time RVers since 2009 and mostly travel on our own, the caravan provides a community of friends that is totally unmatched. The travel experience and journey to Alaska with these new groups of friends is in-measurable.
The short stays on caravan were a huge concern for us too, but the reality is that we didn't dilly-dally because we knew what we were going to do, planned completely with activities, shows, boat cruises and loads of things that we would likely have not done (especially the first time) because the individual costs would have been objectionable. Having the activities included kept me from worrying about spending extra money, and even though I paid for it, having those activities included made it easy to choose if we would participate.
I also know from experience that had we tried to do this on our own we would have been pretty upset trying to find decent camping (not boon-docking) arrangements. Pulling into a park knowing that I had a space ready, waiting, assigned made my day of travel a thousand times more enjoyable because there were no worries about having to get to a campground to find it full or unable to accommodate our needs - and we could enjoy the places between the campgrounds and not have to rush to camp, set-up and return to the great stops that we had to drive past just to get a camping spot.
As for the "your way" caravan - this is good for people who have either been to AK before or are very familiar with all the great things to see and do. For those that don't want the burden of planning this 6000 mile journey and trying to figure it out on the fly - an all inclusive style caravan is sooo much easier and kept us from wasting money on really uneventful activities and attractions.
I would not take a tow dolly - it's just another thing to have to park and find room for in some very tight campgrounds - flat tow if you can, but by all means take a tow!!! From all the people I have met on my Alaska Trips I have heard some horrible stories about reservations and not finding camping - I am surprised there are as many people on this forum that suggest you risk your vacation with unplanned stops and no reservations. But I am also impressed by these posters - I am so glad they are sharing the joy of this incredible journey. It is truly a great trip to do in an RV.
As for Caravan Companies - I've traveled with the major players and I would recommend Fantasy. I hope you have the time of your life and take the time to enjoy the great things that Alaska has to offer.
bfearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #30

IMHO, it's simply a different strokes scenario. We, on the other hand, have never gone on a trip that was pre-planned by someone else, and make reservations only when they are necessary. That is not to say our trips aren't planned because they are pretty thoroughly researched and planned by us at home, but we also have the opportunity to stop anyplace we choose for as long as we like. Again, IMHO, there are advantages and disadvantages to both and either can be wonderfully satisfying. After doing it this way for the last 35 years, and at ages 76 and 70 we have no plans to change. As Chuck Yeager would say, we've had a ball!

There seems to be no "one shoe fits all" in RVing, and that's as it should be. The main thing is that we all enjoy what we do.

Again, there is no way you will not enjoy this wonderful trip no matter how you do it. There is just so much to see and learn.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcphil_98 View Post
We have been on two caravans--0ne to Alaska for 42 days and one to the Maritimes with Fantatsy. By far Fantatsy was the best.
We are signed up for the Fantasy Alaska You Way starting in June for 62 days. The format provides extra time along the way and avoids the common tourist traps. I take a spare tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfearon View Post
My wife and I have been to Alaska 4 times now. Each time we went with a caravan and each time was a dream come true vacation. We have been full-time RVers since 2009 and mostly travel on our own, the caravan provides a community of friends that is totally unmatched. The travel experience and journey to Alaska with these new groups of friends is in-measurable.
The short stays on caravan were a huge concern for us too, but the reality is that we didn't dilly-dally because we knew what we were going to do, planned completely with activities, shows, boat cruises and loads of things that we would likely have not done (especially the first time) because the individual costs would have been objectionable. Having the activities included kept me from worrying about spending extra money, and even though I paid for it, having those activities included made it easy to choose if we would participate.
I also know from experience that had we tried to do this on our own we would have been pretty upset trying to find decent camping (not boon-docking) arrangements. Pulling into a park knowing that I had a space ready, waiting, assigned made my day of travel a thousand times more enjoyable because there were no worries about having to get to a campground to find it full or unable to accommodate our needs - and we could enjoy the places between the campgrounds and not have to rush to camp, set-up and return to the great stops that we had to drive past just to get a camping spot.
As for the "your way" caravan - this is good for people who have either been to AK before or are very familiar with all the great things to see and do. For those that don't want the burden of planning this 6000 mile journey and trying to figure it out on the fly - an all inclusive style caravan is sooo much easier and kept us from wasting money on really uneventful activities and attractions.
I would not take a tow dolly - it's just another thing to have to park and find room for in some very tight campgrounds - flat tow if you can, but by all means take a tow!!! From all the people I have met on my Alaska Trips I have heard some horrible stories about reservations and not finding camping - I am surprised there are as many people on this forum that suggest you risk your vacation with unplanned stops and no reservations. But I am also impressed by these posters - I am so glad they are sharing the joy of this incredible journey. It is truly a great trip to do in an RV.
As for Caravan Companies - I've traveled with the major players and I would recommend Fantasy. I hope you have the time of your life and take the time to enjoy the great things that Alaska has to offer.
Good info on the tours!...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #32

We've been to AK twice and each time we did it on our own. Never had a problem finding a place to stay where we wanted to be. Each time we spent the entire summer, so we weren't limited to how long we could stay in a particular area. Last trip we spent 1 1/2 mos. on the Kenai so I could get my Salmon fishing fix. We went up the Alaskan Hwy., and came back the Cassier, not sure if the caravans have that flexibility. But we like to travel & stop at our own pace & schedule. We also kept running into the same people on our journey, since you're pretty limited on the routes to take. It's a place that will get into the senses, and call you to return.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfearon View Post
Great write up...We are signed up with Adventure Caravans in 2017 for Alaska. Our first caravan. We will be full timing by then.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #34

Alaska Ideas

Joyce and I are traveling home to Alaska (in Navion IQ) this spring we should be entering Canada May 10 2016 at Sumas Washington. Weather will determine route Cassair or Alcan.

I will be in Alaska all summer if you have a hike in mind I would be glad to go along with you if we are in the area or make arrangements ahead of time.

Here are some suggestions for references, the dates need to be updated if you intend to take part in any of the events listed just head to the web sites for the event.

Sue Thomas, pictorial travel guide.
This is a great site for information for travel in Canada.
Sue Thomas, has done a great job putting together a pictorial travel guide.
Sue even includes her email address.

Yukon Sights - 5 May 2013 - Faro to Whitehorse

Janet Rupp posted a list on RV.Net great information.

Joyce and I will be adding to Janets list but only posting updates in the future
If you have a specific question or help researching - private message and I will
help find an answer. If we haven't done it we probably know someone who has.

Western Route in Canada begins in Washington.

Most scenic route Hope to Prince George

Cassiar
Cassiar on your way to or back from, great two lane rd., I drove it last September much more scenic than Dawson Cr. very little construction. The only pavement breaks were near Dease Lake, BC, very short breaks I think the longest about 1/4 mile. Plenty of places to pull off to do a little hiking, fishing, camping.
I saw 6 black bears at the end of the day in a twenty mile stretch so be careful if traveling at night.

Side trips
Small camp grounds.
Lakes to camp next to fish or canoe.
Water Falls and Glaciers.
Stewart small community kind of a long side trip plus must retrace rte.

Heading to Alaska
I would take rte 3 to 5 North from Hope to Kamloops cross back over to rte 1 then on to Prince George then on to the Cassiar by passing the Frasier River Canyon on the way to Alaska.
Connects: Yellowhead Hwy. to Alaska Hwy.
Route#: BC Highway 37
Length: 450 miles
saves about 130 miles/210 km. off the Alaska Hwy

On the way back down take the Frasier River Canyon rte. to Hope.
Frasier River/Canyon is a must see. Very steep grade but down hill going South, take a little time stop and take in the sights.

Tok, Dawson, Top of the World Hwy, Whitehorse, Haines Jct. loop is one of our favorite trips.

For you it would start at Whitehorse Yukon, Klondike Highway.

Expect to see:
Caribou, wolves and grizzly bears and millions of migratory birds. Lynx, coyotes, foxes, Moose. Scan the landscape for movement. Wildlife are more active in early morning and evening. Fishing and camping

I would take this route if you intend to see some of Canada on the way to Alaska.

Whitehorse to Tok Northern route

Klondike Hwy
Whitehorse to Dawson - Klondike Hwy good Hwy 330 miles.
We stay in the Territorial campgrounds they have always been well cared for, but rustic with no hookups.

Side trips:

Canoe / Kayak the Yukon river Whitehorse to Dawson 15 - 17 days
Five finger rapids - 2:30 – 3:30 hours paddling time downstream from Carmacks, and is not particularly challenging if run right. check this web site for more information:.
https://yukon1000.com/new/5fingers.php
There are a few Youtube videos running 5 finger.

Silver Trail
Whitehorse to Stewart Crossing,
Then east on the Silver Trail to the historic frontier mining towns of Mayo and Keno. Highway #11.
Head to Mayo; Visit Binet House in Mayo to plan activities in the area.
Keno; to visit the Keno City Mining Museum, a collection of mining artifacts.

Dempster Highway
Take a detour on to the Dempster Hwy visit Tonestone Territorial park or head further North to the Arctic Circle. Better road to the circle than the Dalton in Alaska.
The Dalton is too heavily traveled by trucks, 2013 Joyce heading North had 3 flats.
We travel the Dempster in our car 2015 from Dawson up to the park head quarters and back in one day, the road was in great shape.
Tombstone Territorial Park, hiking, camping - Tombstone, Engineer Creek or Rock River campgrounds.
Dempster accommodations Eagle Plains near the Arctic Circle, only fuel stop.
Cross the Arctic Circle
Inuvik far North City

Dawson City
Sourdough Bucket List - DawsonCity.ca Dawson City
Museum, also a Train Museum
Robert Service, home; The Cremation of Sam McGee; a must read for a trip to Dawson City.
Visit the Dredge No. 4, maybe pan for a little gold.
Dänojà Zho Cultural Centre
Diamond Tooth Gerties, Canada’s oldest gambling hall good food, nice show and lots of fun.

Top of the World Highway, to Tailer Highway, to Tok.
Highway is a misnomer it is a mostly gravel road.
Cross the river from Dawson, the ferry is free.
The highway is mostly unpaved but is in reasonable condition as long as you take your time.
Cross the border on top of the mountains not quite half way. Spend time at least one over night camping. There are a couple camp grounds but you can find a place to pull out if you like. All the camp grounds are rustic BLM, out houses, transported water I would boil it, no telling how long it has been since the tank was sanitized. The entire trip can easily be done in a day it’s only about 187 miles to Tok.
See relics of the Gold Rush en route. A dredge abandoned near the Highway. The old lodge at Boundary, burned down. Last trip May 2015 it was gone.
Chicken is a small community about 1/2 way.
Visit the historic dredges, have a bite to eat.
Chickenstock Music Festival – June 14-15?
Chicken - Tisha's School House via Taylor Hwy or Top of the World Hwy
Chicken has Fuel if necessary it will be expensive.
I wouldn't stay in Chicken over night with campground just down the road just a cross the West Fork, I think it was Mosquito on the right.

Yukon things to do.
Dawson City -Apr 02, 05 2015. Film festival
Dawson City - June 13, 2015 Commissioner’s Ball at Dawson City's renowned Palace Grand Theatre. Get decked out in all your finest and step back in time.
Dawson City - Jun 20, 2015, National Aboriginal Day with outdoor events including the Hän Singers, live contemporary music, tours, activities, refreshments and an opportunity to visit our heritage galleries.
Dawson City - July 24-26, 2015 Music Festival
Dawson City - July 4, 2015 Yukon Gold Panning Championships
Haines Junction - June 12-14, 2015 Mountain Bluegrass Festival
Whitehorse - Jun 12, 2015 Sunstroke Music Festival Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre
Atlin - Jul 10-15 2015 Annual arts and music festivals

Alaska

I read were people want to travel the Dalton Hwy on these forums, I would not suggest it. The road is traveled by 18 wheelers that are on a mission and do not drive slowly (broken windshields). If it rains the road turns into a muddy mess. Joyce’s trip up they went through three tires. There are very few services.
If it is a dream of yours to cross the Arctic Circle I would use the Dempster Hwy in Canada. Less traffic and if you are going to Dawson you are almost there.

Fairbanks

We don’t live in Fairbanks so most of our time up there is as a tourist doing tourist things.
We have done a couple of float trips up North this is a great site for guided trips. Some are very mild and can be done without a guide others not so mild should be guided.
http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/rafting-toursI
Chena Hot Springs - not as well kept as it use to be but still a side trip.
University of Alaska Museum of the North
Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium
Pioneer Parks - Alaska Native Museum

Click on the links to go to page.
Fairbanks Community Museum,
Pioneer Air Museum,
Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum,
Tanana Valley Railroad Museum.
Or go at your own pace with a self-guided walking tour of history or art in downtown Fairbanks.
Fairbanks Sights & Attractions | Our Guide To The Best Things To Do

Fairbanks to Denali National Park on the Parks Highway
Denali National Park
Take a float trip it is well guided and fun for all ages.
Nenana River
Your choice of Oar Rafts or Paddle Rafts.
Denali National Park - Usually a must for tourist, you drive in a short distance in your car/RV or ride the school buses that parks provides. There are commercial operators as well, probably more comfortable. If you have camp ground reservations you can drive into the camp ground and use the buses to get around.

Denali Highway
Side trip:
The original access to Denali Highway, most people skip this road in favor of the more established paved highways.
Generally open from mid-May to October 1; Denali Highway guidebook available over-the-counter for $10 each at BLM's Glennallen Field Office during weekday hours or you can order your copy by calling the Glennallen Field Office at (907) 822-3217. You may be able to order ahead of time if you are interest. I am not sure if you can pick one up in Cantwell.
130 miles, connects Cantwell on the Parks Highway to Paxon on the Richardson Highway. Rough road, slow going, weather is unpredictable it can snow even in the summer but doesn't usually last.
One way to connect up to McCarthy / Kennicott or you can continue South on the Parks Highway to Anchorage and points South.

Some services are available along the Denali Highway businesses come and go, fuel up before you start make sure your tires are in good shape.
Camping - Tangle Lakes - great place to canoe or kayak
Good info.
http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/gdo/d...ay_points.html

Side trip:
This is a relic to the Copper mining in Alaska, interesting to us but to be honest not a lot there. Camping, Hiking etc.. You might like it because it is off the beaten path.

McCarthy-Kennicott Museum
Small Museum barely a building but it did look back into the past.
Open 7 days a week beginning Memorial Day weekend. Numerous pictures, documents, charts, maps and artifacts are on exhibit. A model of the Bonanza Mine is also on display in a box car next to the museum.

Kennicott Mine & Kennicott Glacier
Tour the old mining site & town.
They had organized Glacier hike, they would take you out on the ice for a little adventure. Some of these operations go come and go, just don't venture out on your own if you can't find a guide.
Flight seeing trips are available.

Palmer

Lake Creek Float Trips - two options
Chelatna Lake - 54 miles 4 - 7 days
Quiet Lake - mid way along Lake Creek shorter still great fishing
Deshka River - is a river in southern-central Alaska. The Deshka River is one of Southcentral Alaska's premier sport fishing streams.
Nancy Lakes- 13 rustic cabins that are available for rent on a nightly basis
Muskox farm a unique animal you won’t see anywhere else.
Hatcher Pass - Remnants of a hard rock gold mine.
Government Peak Camp ground. Small camp ground 8 sites, fills up early on the weekends.
Gold Mint Trail, parking area Camping is aloud.
You can camp on the rd over the pass and if you ask you may be able to camp at the parking lot at Marmot Mt..
Hatcher Pass hiking - many trails, from very easy to strenuous.
At the top of the pass - April Bowl Trail starts here and climbs to a smaller alpine lake. Adventurous hikers can continue climbing to the summit Hatcher Peak to the south. You can hike for days and never hike the same trail.
On most good days June thru September you might catch me there flying a Paraglider. In the winter there is Snow Machining and skiing.
The pass usually doesn't open until the first of July depending on the snow on the road. It is a scenic drive if you hike nearly any valley you will come across relics of the gold mining era.
Cross the pass Willow to Palmer or the other way narrow winding road.

Palmer State Fair at the end of summer giant vegetables, typical fair.

Most of the mountains in the area have trail heads to hike into the wilderness. This is not Zion National Park so don’t expect paved trails or any park rangers. Once you step into the wilderness here you are on your own.

ANCHORAGE / Eagle River & AREA
Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center - Downtown Anchorage
Crow's Nest (meal Captain Cook Hotel)
Simon & Seafort's - Anchorage
Arctic Road Runner - for a great burger
Flight Seeing - Anchorage/Chugach Mountains
Alaska Native Heritage Center
Moose Tooth Pub - pizza local hang out
Short hikes usually not more than two - three hours.
Hike Turnagain trail it can be done in stages
Hike Flat Top Mt.
Hike O’malley Peak
Hike Alpenglow to Gordon Lyons
Hike Mt. Baldy over looking the town of Eagle River right in the center of town
Hike Bear Mt. over looks Mirror lake on one side and Eklutna Lake on the other side.
Eklutha Lake campground - 50 campsites in the mountains just North of Anchorage - hiking, canoeing - Cabin at the very back of the valley, Pepper Peak just above the campground. On a good day you may see us Paragliding right over your head.
Eagle River campground is pretty good only 12 miles to Anchorage.
Don’t stay at any of the camp grounds in Anchorage they are terrible. Just stay a Walmart you will have the same experience.
Train ride to Seward - I would recommend one way have someone drive the RV to Seward.
Canoeing/rafting Spencer Glacier

Alyeska
Girdwood
Alyeska Tram & Resort -(dinner - Seven Glaciers)
If you ride up the tram you can hike around on the Mountain.
It is a free ride down if you hike up. Takes about an hour to hike if you are in reasonable shape. We hike up for the exercise then fly Paragliders or ride the tram down.
Chair 5 restaurant is a local hang out.
The Bake Shop - another local eatery, good food - down by the Day Lodge
Winner Creek Trail at Alyeska, short hike with hand tram to cross the creek. Leave a car at one end of the trail so you don’t have to hike both ways.
Double Musky (Dinner) - Girdwood good restaurant hard to get in and relatively expensive.

Whittier
Whittier via Portage Glacier Not much here but Ferry Terminal and access to Prince William Sound. If you want to see one of the most beautiful places on earth take a tour. I can’t promise you will see whales but we always see Puffins, Seals, Sea Lions and Glaciers.
Glacier Tours - the best we have been on is:
Prince William Sound - 26 Glacier Tour - ends by 6 pm so you could head down to Seward, it’s about a 2 hour drive or stay at:
Portage - Williwaw Campground (Chugach National Forest)

Hope
Hope - Side trip on your way South to Seward
Old gold mine, tailings, Mining small museum. Mining was done by Water Gun a very destructive process that has taken years to recover.
White water Rafting - 6 mile creek - Hope

KENAI PENINSULA AREA & Seward
Seward
Primrose campground - outside of Seward
Hike Primrose Lost lake trail 16 miles great hike, takes about 6 hours. We leave a car at the fire station end at the trail head - locals can direct you.
Campground in Seward as well.
Seward Silver Salmon Derby - Aug
Charters Sight seeing and Fishing
Kenai Fjords Boat Tours – Seward
Exit Glacier - easy hike
Mount Marathon - race July 4th race distance is 3.1 miles, with an elevation gain of 3,022 feet. If you are adventurous you to can climb the Mt. just not on race day.

Kenai Peninsula
Swanson River Canoe Route - 80 miles including 40 lakes and 46 miles of the Swanson RiverPratt Museum – Homer
Homer High Rd Drive
Halibut Cove in Homer - Dinner at Salty Dawg
Halibut fishing - charters
Kachemak Bay - t
Trip over to Seldovia quiet little village.
Sight seeing tours

Trips that Joyce and I think may be of interest to you.
Fall trip to Kaktovic to see the Polar Bears - Joyce was on a photo shoot two years ago in Kaktovic, she photographed more than forty Polar bears.
Kaktovic has very limited lodging so must have reservations before you go or best to be on a guided trip.
July trip would be to Katmai National Park, Brooks Camp - photograph Brown bears, this is a unique jaunt that can be done in one day but not cheap $750 ea. for airfare. If you stay the night it can be $900 for a one night package per person. Joyce is the photographer generally a bear nut so she will go nearly anywhere to be near the bears. Both of these trips if you get to experience the bears you will be very, very close within 30 feet some times less, my preference is 100 yards and that may be a little close.
McNeil River is a lottery it is very hard to win, that is why we suggest Katmai, Brooks Camp. Expect a crowd on the over look because it is very popular.

I'm talking to friends around the state to find good shops to repair broken toys, travel trailers and motor homes. I will only post those repair facilities that will be recommend by local resident's.

Anchorage - Alaska Spring & Performance

600 E 48th Ave
Anchorage, AK 99503
Get Directions
Phone number (907) 563-3802
Business websitealaskaspringandperformance.com

Tok -
There are two r.v.repair shops in Tok. Willard's Garage and The Tok R.V. Center.

Willards is the better of the two by far. They have wreckers and I believe two mechanics on hand.

Fairbanks -
Phillips Wreck is the only one I have dealt with in Fairbanks.
They seemed to know their parts.

Still looking for more info. Check back, hopefully you won't need assistance.

Rocks & Bug protection

Rust Oleum Rock Guard - is a temporary spray on film that will provided some protection from bugs not so much for rocks.
Best used as bug protection inexpensive and can be removed at the end of the trip.

A better product for rock protection Invisi Mask - it can be be purchased precut to fit the front of your RV and installed professionly or do it yourself. My wife and i installed it ourselves. It also can be purchased by the foot in widths of 18 or 24 inches. We purchased it for the front of the Nest Egg we installed it too. It is a little more difficult with large sheets.

Check back from time to time for updates, if you have questions message me I check both sites often, for more information myself. There is always something new to learn or experience.

Bradley
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #35

Wow! Great post S Bradley!!! You don't do all that on a caravan!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #36

A lot of great posts and views. We are leaning strongly towards the Fantasy "your way". After reviewing the itinerary it does stay in enough places long enough. If we divert from the "plan" the only loss is the nightly stays, not a bunch of events.

Many decisions still need to get finalized such as tour, not tour, type tow equipment, and type toad. That's the subject of another post. While there is plenty of time left before leaving, time can easily slip away.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #37

Follow up. We signed up for the Fantasy 62 day Your way caravan. Starts june 20 in Anacortes WA so maybe we'll see some of you along the way. If we return we'll probably make that ourselves. They do a caravan down the Baja in Mexico and might consider that one. Maybe I over react but I don't think Mexico is safe for a single RV to be wandering around in the countryside. Just my opinion. Maybe next year.

So for the AK trip have some preparation including the shotgun permit going into Canada. I normally carry a personal weapon but seems the Canadians frown on this liberty so it'll be the home defense shotgun.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
So for the AK trip have some preparation including the shotgun permit going into Canada. I normally carry a personal weapon but seems the Canadians frown on this liberty so it'll be the home defense shotgun.

I think there's a time limit on the shotgun permit, can't remember what it is, but I think 60 days. It can only be renewed in Canada. Something you'll have to plan around.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
It was 60 days on the permit, I made it the last day. Also get the permit or what ever it is called for the US side coming back. Have fun sounds like a wonderful time.

LEN
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #40

firearm is a nightmare to deal with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I think there's a time limit on the shotgun permit, can't remember what it is, but I think 60 days. It can only be renewed in Canada. Something you'll have to plan around.
Just heard this a few months ago from someone who was on a caravan to Alaska. One of their fellow travelers had the permits and everything required - even though the WagonMasters and company warned everyone in the group to not bring a gun or even ammo into Canada regardless of the paperwork. He was arrested for trying to get his gun in. I know that many people do travel in US with their constitutionally given right to have a firearm - but that is not the case in Canada. That is another great reason to travel by caravan - there is safety in numbers. Please trust the advise of your WagonMasters and the company you travel with on these issues. They do this for a living and have been bringing caravans to Canada and Alaska for a very long time.
Happy New Year. Travel Safe ...Travel Happy.
bfearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #41

I don't know why you want to take a shot gun. If it is protection from people or protection from wild life either way it is not really necessary.

Canada is not the U.S. but they are some of the best people I know, they speak English they are friendly (except French Quebec) they are alittle different. I live in Alaska and travel in Canada, I have never felt threatened in either place. All large cities have their bad element so take normal precautions.
When hiking in the wilds try to maintain plenty of site distance, if you do take your gun use it as a noise maker don't shoot anything the consequences could be devastating. Fish and feathers take a dim view of shooting anything out of season, you will have a lot of questions to answer.

This is one of the safest trips you are going to take, we welcome you to our home.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #42

Drwwicks

Check out the Alaska 2016 thread.

Hyder for some bear viewing. If you get a chance take the Cassier on your way back South with a side trip to Hyder, bears will be feeding from mid July thru September.