Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Alaska in 35 days? done that?

I'm retired but, DW still working. She is off for summer for 35 days. Am I asking too much to go to Ak from Pa. and be back for her to start work in 35 days? From what I've read the roads are slow going if I don't want my MH to not be trashed. Got to take advantage of the cheep fuel because we all know it won't last. Two years from now she will be retired and we'll have all the time but, can't count on fuel prices to be this low so it may not be in the budget....! I Know we'll miss some stuff but, would it still be worth it? Anyone taken a shorter trip to AK? If so what route did you take?😀 Any suggestions would be appricated. I'm set to go one way or the other. May not have the opportunity in the future so like my boats name I'll "seas the moment" and his just do it now...!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

You didn't say what your destination in Alaska was going to be. However, you are looking at a monumental trip of about 4000 miles. That translates to approx. 70 hrs of driving each way. Or 10 consecutive 7 hr driving days. That would be a huge undertaking. Allowing 10 days for your return that would leave you about 15 days to see Alaska. Doesn't sound like a fun trip to me. JMHO

Old 01-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #3

We did it last year with a 50 day caravan from Dawson Creek, BC to AK and back to Prince George, BC. There was not much downtime in that 50 days. There is only one Alcan Highway thru the Yukon and into Alaska which takes you to Fairbanks. In the time you have, I don't think you would see much more than Fairbanks and Denali Park.
Having said that, it will still be a great trip in whatever time you have. The scenery all the way from Dawson Creek (mile zero of the Alcan) thru the Yukon and into AK is awesome. My guess is from PA to Dawson Creek return will eat up at least 10-14 days unless you drive some Long Days.
Go for it!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

It can be done, but you won't get much enjoyment out of the trip. Round trip from Pittsburgh to Anchorage is 8,074 miles. That's 250 miles a day, every day, for the entire 35 days.

We've done it 2 times in our motorhome. On the days we traveled we did as much as 400 miles because it was that far from the place we were to the next one we wanted to see. There were also days we only went 90 miles for the same reason.

Both times we went over 12,000 miles for the round trip, and we live in Wisconsin. Since it's a little over 600 miles from Madison WI our round trip would have been a little over 13,200 miles had we started in Pittsburgh PA. That's a lot of driving and not much sight seeing in 35 days.

Just to put things more in perspective our first trip was 62 days, and our second was 50 days.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

If you don't mind traveling alone you could drive out early and have your wife fly to Anchorage or Fairbanks. I've traveled to Alaska twice from southern Oregon and for me 35 days would not be sufficient but that is really your call.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The drive is going to be more than 8,000 miles round trip so that won't leave you much time to enjoy the Alaska and all the wonderful scenery along the way.

Have you considered driving to and from AK yourself and having your wife fly there and back, joining you in Anchorage. That would take the drive time out of the 35 day equation and allow you some quality time there. She would miss out on the scenery along the way but trying to do the entire distance in 35 days would deny both of you of the enjoyment and relaxation that the journey would provide.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #7

You stated you have a boat so fuel prices should compensate for not using the boat during your drive.

Calculate how much the trip will cost you this year vs. an estimate of two years from now and supposedly higher fuel prices. You'll be amazed at the little difference.

If this is going to be a once in a lifetime trip, I certainly would wait the two years and plan the whole summer. It's worth it. It's a fantastic trip if you're not rushed.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
The drive is going to be more than 8,000 miles round trip so that won't leave you much time to enjoy the Alaska and all the wonderful scenery along the way.

Have you considered driving to and from AK yourself and having your wife fly there and back, joining you in Anchorage. That would take the drive time out of the 35 day equation and allow you some quality time there. She would miss out on the scenery along the way but trying to do the entire distance in 35 days would deny both of you of the enjoyment and relaxation that the journey would provide.

Ron
What's that they say: Great minds think alike? Same advice but a minute apart.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We did it in 45 days from Texas in 2009. It was a great trip but 45 days was fast!

See our trip here: Alaska - 2009 - ronniesphotos

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Since you don't really have enough time to visit Alaska, why not do the east coast? take a nice trip to Nova Scotia. You could do that in your time frame and see some beautiful scenery.
Save the Alaska trip when you have more time. Never let fuel stop you from traveling! pay the price and go!! Life can be cut short at anytime, so enjoy it why you can!!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #11

35 days? We didn't get to do everything we wanted to do in 4 mos. Great idea of having the wife fly out. Maybe she could fly to Whitehorse, YT., or just bite the bullet and wait the 2 yrs. til she retires. I personally don't believe in waiting. Our very first trip to AK was a whirlwind kind of deal that just whetted our appetite to go back, which we did. A 35 day trip would probably do the same for you. I would find a way to work it out, and just GOOOOOO!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fly to Alaska and rent a MH. That will give you 33 days to see the state and I doubt renting the MH and paying for the 4000 miles there and another 4000 back would cost that much difference. (No I did not check it out) However I did fly to Juneu ann take the ferry to Homer and limo to Ankorage, train to Denali. Also took the ferry to skagway and a plane hop to Glacier. All in two weeks.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the comments and I know we're pushing the envelop a bit.
Tony: Fairbanks would be the furthest point this trip.
texnet: 45 days..wow looked at your pic's great. What route did you take?
Ron-H: flying wife not an option. Health reasons, and why the push this year.
twogypsies: most fuel we use in a season in boat is 2 tanks @ 55gal. each. Full throttle from dock to cove, raft up with buds. Full throttle back to dock.
Dennis: we will be going for it one way or the other
Bob: driving out alone is not in the cards have to be close to DW at all times
May be able to squeeze in 30 more days if other couple going can go earlier, looking into that now. I know we'll miss a lot on a short trip but, have to do it now... if its 35 days I'll take what I can get. It's on the DW's bucket list big time just want to make it happen.
So again I appricate any and all thoughts about it keep them up... Help me find a way, Thanks Terry
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #14

Alaska in 35 days? done that?

I would opt for Maine all the way into New Brunswick. One day each way, 33 days of glorious fun, food, and scenery.
Details here:
http://davenola.blogspot.com/2014/04...-2013.html?m=1
http://davenola.blogspot.com/search?...date=false&m=1
Alaska is an adventure that deserves no less than 3 months, preferably 5 months. BTW, it is 8,600 miles R/T for you. And much neat stuff you will NOT have time to see going both ways. By bet is about 25 road days.
Please report here when you get back. Happy and safe trails!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote