Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #15

RV.net has an excellent forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska. There is an ongoing post at present of all those planning to take the trip this summer. They have lots of hints and recommendations. Also, look at the 'Sticky' at the top of this forum for a post by last summer's travelers on their hints, places to go, etc. It would be very helpful!!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Since we have visited the Fairbanks / North Pole 5 times over the last 18 years (fly up) I have a sense of some of the areas (Fairbanks, North Pole, Denali, Circle, Chena Hot Springs, The Kenai). I have gathered a load full of brochures and guides this past Aug. I plan to buy a used copy of the Milepost off Ebay next year to familiarize the routes and where I want to spend time. I'll buy a updated edition the year I go.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Chena Hot Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Going up in Sept. you will have to watch the weather very closely. Sis-in-Law had snow Sept 15th. in North Pole which is just east of Fairbanks. We were up there in August (non-RVing). The road to Chena has 2-3 state park campgrounds. Two of the 3 they had just finished updating, the 3rd Rosehip they were still in the process of finishing up. All three are dry camping. But if you want to be away from the city lights Chene would sure do the trick. The paved road along Chene Hot Springs is fine, easy to average 50-55 mph with a few small hills. We did the Hot Springs this year. To see the Northern Lights they are more prevalent during the colder months. There also a cycle as to when during the month there is a higher occurrence of seeing them. But once you do....All I can say is WOW.....

There are also some pull-offs along Chene Hot Springs road you can dry camp at. PM me and I'll give you my favorite stash location large enough for MH's..

Also going up in Sept. FYI The low bush cranberries and Rosehips will be ready to pick in Sept. High Bush Cranberries are good in mid Aug till early Sept, Blueberries are good July thru mid Aug. And Raspberries are good up to mid Aug.

Alaska 2013 pictures.

We plan a 2016 RV trip...

I was about 11years old Summer of 1967. Dad was stationed at Ft Wainwright. He called the house to see if I wanted to go fishing.
Like he needed to ask, anyway it was about 5pm when we headed out.
Summer does not get more than dusk. we headed up Chena Hot Springs Rd. We had a 1959 Olds. Ended up getting stuck. Had to walk a couple miles till we found a guy camped out running a logging operation to come down with is D6 to pull us out. Guess it has changed since then.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Since we have visited the Fairbanks / North Pole 5 times over the last 18 years (fly up) I have a sense of some of the areas (Fairbanks, North Pole, Denali, Circle, Chena Hot Springs, The Kenai). I have gathered a load full of brochures and guides this past Aug. I plan to buy a used copy of the Milepost off Ebay next year to familiarize the routes and where I want to spend time. I'll buy a updated edition the year I go.
Keep in mind the "updated" version is over one year old information by the time you can buy one. Things change, places close,etc. After planning your routes, call ahead to find out if business's are still open.
The "recession" hit Canada's just as hard as it did U.S. business's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My brother-n-law retired from Ft Wainwright a few years back. The Chena Hot Springs road (60 miles total) is well paved, semi-flat with a few hills here and there.

There are times the road floods from periods of heavy rain. This Aug. the treat was forest fires. One of the fires burned from Eleilson Air Force base all the way to Chena Hot Springs road. (Over 100,000 acres) It started in early June. It jumped the road in one spot. Still was burning when we left Aug 20th.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #20

Thanks to each and all of you. Your input has changed my plans a bit, but definitely for the better.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
For viewing the Northern Lights the more you get away from the city lights the better. Near the enterance of Denali National Park are many commercial establishments. There is a national park campground (Riley) near the visitor center and I believe is open all of Sept.

Chena, has 3 (no services) campgrounds along the second half. Rosehip at mile marker 27, Granite Tors mile marker 39 and the last one is at the Chena Hot Springs Resort. When we were up there this Aug., the state had just finished doing a complete updating of both Rosehip and Granite Tors campgrounds. Here is a good PDF. map. Chena River State Recreation Area

Back about 10 years ago on one of our visits we went down to Valdez and camped right on the shore (late Aug.). The Northern Lights were a life changer....No pictures in books could ever explain the real thing...You just have to see it in person. they lasted for about 3 hours. Even my brother-n-law said those were the best he saw.