Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladie View Post
. One night in May sitting on the couch, DH turned to me and said "Wanna go to Alaska"? What?!?! Two weeks later we left home. As I said, we took our time, no schedule, no reservations.

Also check out Boya Lake Provincial park in British Columbia, stunning, looks like the Caribbean.
Now THAT'S the way to go to Alaska! Good for you. Agreed, Boya Lake on the Cassier Hwy. is a beauty.

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbray View Post
Is there a downside to traveling to Alaska from the east coast? Thinking of making the trip spring of 2017.

Don, the only downside I see is not going soon enough. We made the trip from Cape Cod in 2014 and loved it. Left Memorial Day, returned mid September. If you want to see the trip go to www.capecodtoalaska2014.com 113 days, tons of pictures so sometimes it is slow to load. Took this one 8/5 at Stewart/Hyder.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1468296980.340202.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	132788

All 4 paws in air, catching lunch!

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:16 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Alaska

Funny....the folks I was referring to were from RI and towed a Jeep and left about the same time. Still, a small world. Sometimes I think I put too much thought into this when I hear stories like yours and plan only two weeks in advance and still have a great trip. Now trying to figure out if we should go with or without our toad which is somewhat of a pain since we tow it on a tow dolly. Anyway, thank you again for sharing.

Best Regards,
Don
Old 07-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbray View Post
Now trying to figure out if we should go with or without our toad which is somewhat of a pain since we tow it on a tow dolly.
Personally, we could never say that we 'saw' an area without having a car to really get into the nooks and crannys.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #19

Dbray.....we are not what you would call experienced RVers. Only been "camping' since 2012, never so much as owned a sleeping bag or tent. When first planning our trips, someone told me "don't over think it"' just go. That was great advice. We use the GPS, but I still prefer a paper map. The apps on our tablets are great, a good source of info. By all means bring the tow vehicle. Can't imagine doing Alaska without one. Don't over think it, you'll drive yourself crazy!
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #20

It is a great trip and especially if you do not have to be tied to having hook ups every night, there are places to dry camp that are spectacular. And great public campgrounds too. We even stayed in an expensive, super crowded campground in Whitehorse and chose to be in their upper level (dry camping) where their equipment was stored for a fraction of the cost. There were others that did the same. We woke up to see a pair of foxes frolicking around right outside our RV. We did very little planning and really only made reservations at Denali a couple weeks ahead of time. If you arrive in campgrounds in mid afternoon, you rarely have problems securing a site. With the long daylight hours, time can get away from you. We did plan where we would stop for the night even if it was a pull out but we did not make reservations. Going again next year.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #21

I think that when planning the Alaskan trip you should start your drive and not think of extensive siteseeing in the lower 48 until your return. If you do too much before even crossing the Canadian border you'll be worn out even before the BIG trip begins.

Canada and the Yukon are wonderful places to explore before even getting to Alaska. If you plan to do a summer trip, plan on crossing the Canadian border no earlier than May 15; do your trip to Alaska and cross into the lower 48 by the end of August. Then plan Sept. & Oct to do some lower 48 touring if you have the time. Those are perfect months for the major national parks. School has begun and the weather is so much better.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #22

Plans are forming leave Buffalo,NY mid May (weather permitting) head towards to the Alcan. Tour around Denali park then down the western routes to Glassier park them home IS90.
Any buddy driven a 30 ft or bigger class A down the western coast of Alaska and Can?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
You will have no problems with a 30' coach, we did it with a 38' in 2014. An alternative to IS90 is US route 2, good 2 lane road and a lot more interesting than super slab.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #24

We had no problems with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep.

You said you will be touring around Denali then returning home. I hope that's not your only destination. You really need to drive at least every paved road up there to really see Alaska. The areas are all completely different.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:32 AM   #25

I hope to spend a lot of time all over Alaska. Planning a 2 mount trip.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Two months minimum needed for a AK from the lower 48
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #27

Don't get freaked out about cracked windows. Did the trip in 2015 using a protect-a-tow and didn't get a mark on the tow. Cracked the windshield on I-70 outside St. Louis on the way home!

Most of the roads were fair to good except from Destruction Bay to about 30 mile from the Alaska border (construction) and the Tok cutoff (just bad).

Drive slowly and enjoy!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:45 AM   #28

I am in Anchorage now. Left SC June 8. Take a couple or three chip repair kits or pick them up at Canadian Tire before you get on the Alcan. We will probably leave for home sometime mid-late August. I plan to go down the Cassiar & into Washington then home. The road is good until after Watson Lake it starts getting rough. Drive slow on the gravel portion of road and you should be OK. This trip is well worth the road.