Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Alaska trip

I am thinking to go to Alaska in Aug 2016. Can I get some feed back from anyone who has ran that track. any input would be great full

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
A big positive is that you do not need RV parks for electricity for A/C's which you will also not need. And the authorities are pretty lenient in letting you park in any reasonable place. For example, when I was at the Bay of Valdez, RV's lined the coast for many miles.

The big negative is that fuel will cost you a fortune

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Watch out for unprepared frost heaves. The Canadians do a great job of marking them, the Alaskans not so great.

Chip seal highways are famous for cracking windshields, just slow down. You will see more cracked windshields in AK the rest of the lower 48 combined.

Any place in AK wide enough to pull over is a campsite.

Get a copy of The Milepost, doesn't need to be the latest edition.

Lived there for 8 years and struggle with identifying the must sees, so many. I won't list the typical tourist stops as there will be hundreds of signs for these.

Richardson Hwy between Valdez and Fairbanks
Resurrection Bay (use the city campground) in Seward, AK
Exit Glacier, Seward, AK
Homer, AK camp on the beach.
Denali National Park
Eat breakfast at the Roadhouse in Talkeetna, AK the cinnamon rolls are huge. This is between Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Downside to touring in AK, most places you want to see are served by a single road, so when you drive 2 hours out of Anchorage to visit Seward you will see exactly the same thing on the 2 hour return trip. Fairbanks is the exception to this rule, 2 major highways in and out. Up one down the other.

30 days goes by fast in AK, lots to see and very long drives.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do it! It's an awesome trip and well worth the windshield you'll have to replace

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

What is your timeframe since you're first leaving in August? Keep in mind that many things close down the beginning of September, including fuel stations. Always drive on the top 1/2 of your tank. It's no time to wait for a better price.

There are plenty of very nice scenic places along the highways to spend a night.

Two beautiful areas in Sept. are Denali Nat'l Park and the Top of the World Highway.

It might be best to head straight for Alaska and save siteseeing in the Yukon and Canada on your way back.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've come down the ALCAN as late as the 2nd week of November, no issues with finding fuel.

You will struggle with find freshwater and open camp sites after September.

Last November trip we made friend and I drove straight through alternating sleeping while the other drove. We both tried to switch off before it was time to fuel up and stick the other with fueling due to very cold weather.

The ALCAN is a much smoother road when covered with packed snow.

The cap on the sewer line vibrated loose and hung down gathering ice and snow along the way, by the time we notice it was a solid ball of ice bigger than a grapefruit.

As long as you are on you way home by the end of September you will be fine.

Lots of nice views heading south out of Anchorage on the Seward Hwy starting at Beluga Point. Next stop on the Seward would be Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage, if you like wildlife.

As you travel Alaska Hwys be prepared to pull off many times just to enjoy the scenery.

If you need repairs I recommend Welcome to Alaska Performance RV and Marine - Alaska Performance RV & Marine

As I said in my earlier post The Milepost is a great resource.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #7

Denali National park is good. You can do a lot of hiking, enjoy scenic beauty and watch a lot of grizzly bears.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #8

You don't say where you will be leaving from. Keep in mind it's a long haul to the north country, and you won't be able to sail along at 65mph on the Alaskan hwy. We've been twice, but we left in May and came back 1st part of Sept. It's definitely a place that will make you want to return because there's so much to see. Taking into account travel time, it would be hard for us to do it in just a month.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #9

I went up to Alaska leaving Vancouver May 3rd this year and the next trip will be in a
couple years for the fall. Buying gas is best in the major cities. As I can go over 800 miles that wasn't a problem. I went up the Stewart Cassiar and bought fuel just as I
turn on to it. I should have bought fuel in Smithers as they charged an extra $.11 a liter
and the same thing when you get to the Alaska highway. If you go into Watson Lake it way cheeper. I took the Stewart Cassiar up and the Alaska highway back and next time we go I will it the opposite way.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alaska Trip

I've got an Alaska trip on my agenda after I retire next year. Already got the Milepost and picked up another book "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping"

Another good resource would be Youtube. I've found many informative videos on making the journey, and seeing video of it really give you an idea of what to expect.

Some of the people I follow are:
- Gone with the Wynn's
- Freedom Theory
- Chris & G Travels
- His & Hers Alaska

There are plenty more, just do a search to find these and more!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a downside to traveling to Alaska from the east coast? Thinking of making the trip spring of 2017.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #12

No downside for us! Left Rhode Island in May last year and returned home in September. We took our time, visited Black Hills in S.Dakota, Glacier NP in Montana, Banff and Jasper in Canada and many other places. We had no reservations along the way. The only reservation made was at Tek Campground in Denali NP and we only made them a week ahead of time. No problems getting space in campgrounds, tho we mostly stay at state, COE and Federal campgrounds. Everything worked out great, not even a scratch on our rig or Jeep.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Alaska

Gladie.....thanks for your reply and its a small world. I'm sure I viewed your Blog "Driving Miss Debbie". Since I'm a friend of Jeff Bernett, you were kind enough to let me ride along. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We flew to Alaska and rented a MH a few years ago and now that we are retired would like to drive. Hoping that 3 months will do it. Just as you did stopping to see some sights along the way. Any good advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Don
Old 07-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #14

Dbray.......nope, not me re: " Driving Miss Debbie". Our Alaskan trip was totally unplanned. Hospitalization and death of a family member caused us to cancel our original early spring/summer vacation plans. We were to leave April 15, DH first day of retirement! One night in May sitting on the couch, DH turned to me and said "Wanna go to Alaska"? What?!?! Two weeks later we left home. As I said, we took our time, no schedule, no reservations. On rough roads DH drove slower, fortunate that we never came across any speeding trucks throwing up rocks. I think we were 105 days on the road and never had any issues. Our last stop on the way home was 3 nights in PA, Amish country, New Holland. If you prefer state parks, Alaska has some nice ones. Also check out Boya Lake Provincial park in British Columbia, stunning, looks like the Caribbean.