Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Alaska Trip

We are seriously considering a trip to Alaska this summer and would like some input. We have a 2008 Newmar Mountanaire (41 ft). Any tips of what to or what not to do will be appreciated. Also places that are a must to see.
thewids is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On the way up (?) stay on the Alcan, the Cassiar Highway is in a "not so good" shape.
Second, get a Milepost. Weeks of reading pleasure and a guide to whatever during the trip.
It really has "every thing" to see on all the (major) roads of West Canada and Alaska.
Gerard.
I bee there end may till early july
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome thewids to irv2.
Come down to the Newmar forum and ask about how to keep your Mountain Aire in shape over the roads to Alaska & we have Newmar people that have been there.
It will be a great trip and plenty to see and do, was there for two years in 57-58.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #4

ALASKA

DO IT!

For six wks in summer of 09, we took our 98 DSDP from TX to Alaska and back. INCREDIBLE!!!! We'll do it again someday.

Get the MILEPOST. Barnes&Noble has them.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
thewids:

G'morning from Casa Grande, AZ.

If ya haven't been there, you're gonna LOVE that trip to Alaska. We were last up there in 07 with our 40' MH towing our Honda Element with a canoe on top and had a WONDERFUL time.

There are SO MANY ideas and possible suggestions re: an Alaskan trip that it's pretty difficult to pass em all along. Also, different folks have different opinions about things to see and things to do (or not do) that the only way is to read responses and decide for yourselves.

I'll mention one measure that helped us. Our MH, like alot of em, has one of those rear mud flaps spanning the rear underside of the coach. Ya know, the kind with the chrome name of the rig brand across it. Anyway...after arriving in Whitehorse, on our way up, I'd been noticing that our tow car often seemed to gather quite a bit of small gravel in the windshield wiper well and that since some very miner pitting could be seen in the windshield of the toad when the sun was at the right angle, we thought we'd purchase one of those windshield covers.

Went to an RV Service and Parts outfit in Whitehorse and described to the owner what I was looking for and why and they did have what we wanted. However, the owner made a suggestion based on his long history of helping out RV'rs. He asked if we had the kind of mud flap I described above, and when I said we did, he suggested we TAKE IT OFF, if ya can, because those flaps cause more trouble than anything else. Occasionally on your trip you'll need to drive over gravel areas, including in campgrounds. Those mud flaps invariably spray up small gravel onto your toad (tow car) and that's why ya get rocks in your wiper well at the bottom of your tow car windshield.

Well, we weren't sure about his advice and did purchase the windshield cover anyway and used it. We departed Whitehorse, and we had decided to go North up to Dawson City, YK, and then to take Top of the World Highway West into Alaska and on down to Tok. (Incidentally....a GREAT DECISION).

When we arrived in Dawson City, we pulled into a campground, stopped at the office to check in and then, as I drove slowly to our site, I had my wife walk alongside to observe whether or not that mud flap sprayed gravel, and....sure enough, even at very VERY slow campground speeds, whenever the rear end dipped as tires went over a depression in the driveways, gravel would spray lightly onto the car when the mud flap dragged, even momentarily, on the ground.

Long story, short, I removed that mud flap and stored it inside canoe atop our tow car and WHA-LA!!....no more gravel on the car.

Some folks tie that mud flap in an up position, but, you might want to consider removing it for your Alaska trip. Truth is, that mud flap does little or nothing to keep mud and gravel from your rear drivers (tires) from flying aft. You'll notice your drivers are likely 4 to 6 feet forward from the rear of your coach...and...it's likely your drivers are already protected with mud flaps!!!

Just an idea.

Have a GREAT TRIP....it's WONDERFUL UP THERE!!

Steve & Lynette